• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

love is a temporary madness... {Weir, any}
    love is a temporary madness...
    She is not easily bored, especially by intelligent conversation. She enjoys little quite so much as she enjoys speaking with a friend (and she would not hesitate to call Weir friend. She would like to say that their acquaintance had gone beyond simple kingdom-mates). And when the conversation is as interesting and varied as theirs has been to this point, it is even better. So when he acquiesces to teaching her, followed by the glib comment, Elysteria cannot help the laugh that escapes her lips.

“Excellent! In that case, my ears are at your disposal.”

Her russet eyes sparkle merrily as they find his, a grin resting easily on her muzzle. He continues the conversation, hesitating only for a moment, looking for eavesdroppers. Her bright gaze shows her curiosity clearly, ears tipped forward in interest. He describes his gift in detail, and Elysteria finds herself intrigued. She had never before heard of a horse that could manipulate the outcome of other’s magic. Having been on the receiving end of magic before, she could well understand the usefulness of the talent. It is a bitter reminder though. A deal made with a magician and an unfulfilled favor. She could not yet say, however, whether the deal had been worth it. Her payment had yet to come due.

“That sounds incredibly useful. Not all of the magicians here are precisely scrupulous with their magic. Unfortunately, my father is among the worst.”

The words cause a frown as her gaze becomes distant for a brief moment. She is not sure that she could forgive him the way her daughter had returned from him. She is not sure she wishes to.

Drawing herself from her reverie, she turns her bright, russet eyes to the river they had finally reached.

“But enough of gloomy things. If we were to follow this river, we would soon reach the heart of the Dale. If you’d like, we can head that direction. And on our way, you could begin my lessons.”

The last is accompanied by a bright smile and hopeful gleam in her eye.
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

Her laughter is pleasant, tinkling in his eardrums in good nature. The notes fit the Dale like they are made for it, tilting on the breeze like birdsong. He was glad he had decided to come after all, to follow the bay to her sprawling homeland. She offers her ears, taking an interest in learning, he admires that. 

As he shares news of his trait, she receives it in stride. Which is all very well to him. His brow furrows a bit when she mentions how the magicians of the area throw their power about. He did not particularly enjoy the company of that sort of equine, the disregard hinting at deeper character issues. He tried his best to get along with all in truth, but sometimes conflicting personalities or values just couldn't mesh.

Weir learns that his new friends father was also a magician, and not a good one at that. What luck was it that he did not find Elysteria to have a dark nature, she presented herself as rather the opposite of that. A warm and welcoming disposition, a true kindness. Darkness crosses her facade, if briefly, the thoughts behind it unknown to him. Just as soon, she mentions the heart of the Dale,eager to begin lessons.

Weir nods before speaking."Righty oh then! Let us be on our way, ahhhh, oh yes." He trots up to the river bank, amber orbs searching, before he shakes his russet head."Just there, the little brown bird, see his notched bill?" He indicates the wren shaped bird on the opposite side, it's long legs scurrying."Cinclus mexicanus, or Dipper bird. He can swim under water, even walk on the bottom! Can you imagine? Would I could do the same. Why, I think I could catch a turtle, no I am sure of it."

Eclectic Vagabond of the Dale
    love is a temporary madness...
    A soft breeze blows across the rushing waters of the river, cooling heated skin and ruffling her dark tresses. Several birds trill in the distance, seemingly caught up in their own conversation (only it is a conversation that is made up of chirps and whistles rather than words). Following Weir’s swifter gait, she approaches the river bank just as he indicates one of those small brown birds across the way. Her bright gaze finds the small creature, curiosity evident in those depths. She studies the bird as the stallion expounds on its qualities. She grins at his enthusiasm. Becoming quite caught up in the sentiment herself, she laughs. A lighter, shorter laugh, but no less carefree than her last.

“I must say that I have a hard time imagining it. That would be an amazing feat. I'm afraid that I am more a creature of the air than the water. And a bird that is as comfortable underwater as it is above the trees? Simply amazing.”

Her gaze remains fixed upon the small creature as it hops from one branch to another. She is tempted to approach, but she knows that if she does, the bird will likely fly away. She could follow it if she felt so inclined, but the poor creature would probably be scared witless if she did. And she knows there would be no pleasure in frightening the small bird, even in the name of learning.

“This part of the river is a little swift for turtles, I believe. Down a ways it widens out. I know of several places where a number of turtles enjoy sunning themselves.”

With a glance at the roan stallion, Elysteria turns so that she is walking parallel to the river. They are following the quickly moving current when suddenly several fish leap above the water, their wet scales shimmering in the sunlight. With a grin, she turns her inquisitive gaze back to Weir.

“Were you able to tell what those fish were?”
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

She seems to take joy in observing the little Dipper bird. For a time they both watch the small, brown creature hop anout. It's movements are constant, forever changing from one branch to the other."Yes, I would have to agree. A remarkable adaptation, it's quite different from the usual birds one would see." he remarks on her comments, glad they could have this mutual thought.

His russet auds swivel, her vocals giving him the most wondrous news. "Turtles you say? Just down the way then? I do love turtles."an obvious emotion leaking into his voice, he was perceivibly thrilled. Perhaps it was their shared, otherwise, laid back personailites. Though they did seem to slip into the water quick enough when he had approached. Or, of course there was the otherwise slow walk they took to the land, which surprisingly he rarely before caught them at.

"Sunning is a lovely pastime don't you think?"He inquires as she herself has a question for him, their path parallel to the river. "Why yes, Carp they are called.Hypophthalmichthys molitrix. Must be spawning season" he observes the fish trying to make their way upstream. "There is lore about the Carp fish. At the top of a waterfall on a legendary mountain the Carp swim upstream. Few are capable or brave enough to make the final leap over the waterfall. Ah, but the one who does, is turned into a powerful dragon."

Eclectic Vagabond of the Dale