• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

love is a temporary madness... {Weir, any}
    love is a temporary madness...
    The trek from the field to the Dale is not a long one. Under different circumstances, she might have made it shorter by flying the distance. But since her companion cannot fly, neither does she. Besides, it’s rather refreshing to travel the ground rather than the skies on occasion. For her it is a somewhat novel experience. She had grown so accustomed to taking to the air for all purposes that she rather enjoys the steady rhythm of striding across the earth.

Lifting her small, finely shaped head, she tests the breeze, a completely unrestrained and relaxed smile curving her lips as she does. Returning her head to a more comfortable position, her gaze finds the roan stallion accompanying her, the radiant smile still brightening her features.

“It’s such a lovely day, is it not?”

She doesn’t truly expect answer as the question is somewhat rhetorical, given the beauty of the new day. In the time it had taken the small group to complete their conversation, then for the two of them to walk the distance they had, dawn had broken. Streaks of gold and pink were spreading swiftly across the velvet hue of the sky, the sun barely peeping above the horizon. It promised to be a cloudless day, with a slight breeze to whisk away any excess heat.

Just as the sun finally breaks free of the distant horizon, they reach the borders of the Dale. The land has grown steadily more rolling, hills falling seamlessly into slight dips before rising once again. The wooded slopes are broken frequently by meadows of all sizes. Though they cannot see them, a number of small brooks and streams feed into the large river that runs through the heart of the Dale. With the warm and familiar sense of home, Elysteria comes to a halt before turning to face Weir.

“Welcome to the Dale. I’d be happy to show you around, if you’d like. I’m sure we would probably run into a few of the other residents along the way as well.”
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

@[Weir]

He enjoyed the steady rhythm, the clop clop clop of their hoof beats as they traversed the lands. They had spent most the journey in silence, though that did not stop Weir from several side glances to the bay mare he traveled along side. He didn't really know if she was up for conversation, though he did catch a few candid moments from his quick peeks. She lifted her dial into the breeze, the air parting her locks before a smile painted her face. Her singsong vocals reached his auds before long, a simple question about the weather. The sun had just began to break over the horizon, pastels littering the once darkened skyline. It was a lovely sight indeed, he noted having a good look at their surroundings.

It was a peaceful looking backdrop to the small company of two. The hills endless it seemed, before breaking into smaller sections of tree dotted slopes. Meadows abloom with summer wildflowers made their way through the trees, providing large areas of grazing land. He was pleasantly pleased with his decision to accompany Elysteria to the Dale, for not would he find a more beautiful place. He felt an air of calm about the place, almost innocent and untouched. It was a peculiar feeling but he did not complain, no.

"I am very pleased with my decision, trust the ol' gut that's what I always say. It'll never steer you wrong if you learn how to listen."He allowed a small sigh to escape his may, before nares flared inhaling deeply the rich fresh scent that blew across the hillside. "Yes, I think that would be fine indeed. I'd be happy to meet more of the herd here, perhaps we might stop for a drink as well?" He was a bit parched from their journey and could use a bit of refreshment, he had hoped they might find a cool spot to stop and refuel.

The Dale is generally a calm kingdom, which is one of Elysteria’s favorite things about it. The peace and beauty of the realm provide her with a sense of hope and belonging. For a horse who had spent so much of her life wandering the vast places beyond Beqanna, it had been particularly enticing. It is what had caused her to fall in love with her home, to pledge her life to its protection and well-being. She hoped that it would provide that same solace for other’s as well, Weir included.

She smiles in response to her first words, her delicately lined head nodding in understanding. She had done the same, though quite some time ago now. But she could still recall that day when a choice had been presented to her. Ultimately it had been a choice that had altered her life forever, and so much for the better. She could not be happier with where her decision had brought her.

“I am glad to hear that. I very much hope that you will be as happy here as I am.”

Her soft smile turns into a quick grin of consternation at his next words. She should have anticipated that the walk had parched the fellow, especially after his long travels prior to coming here.

“Of course, there is a brook just over this next rise.”

Turning, she leads the way over the next hill (a rather small one, thankfully) and wades easily into the small stream. The water at the deepest point only reaches her knees. Lowering her head, she takes several long pulls from the chilly liquid.
    elysteria

He keeps a leisurely pace, auds flicking in turn at each spoken word. His focus ahead, on the path she set before them, head hanging low and relaxed as they make their way over hills. The weather was agreeable, and he took interest in the different plants they passed.

He is pleased to hear that not far ahead is a brook, and he makes short time of following her to it. He watches as she enters up to her knees, the water being not very deep at all. Following suit, he splashes his way in, the cool water welcome against his hot skin. He drinks for a good while, one might wonder if he would explode, or at the very least become sick. He was the least bit perturbed though, merely walking up the opposite bank to nicker happily. A shake of his rust colored dial before he once again spoke,"That was quite enjoyable." He watched from the bank, amber eyes thoughtful as he spoke.
    "How long have you been a resident here might I ask? If you'll trouble a curious man with a bit of chatter." He blinks, droplets of water sliding down his muzzle into the grass below.  His russet, banner damp and hanging limp against his hock. 

The cold refreshment of the stream is bracing, bringing her senses alive. Raising her head from the water, she inhales deeply, taking in the familiar scent of home. As she gazes through the surrounding trees, she thinks briefly that she might try to locate her daughter along the tour she had promised. Though she has no doubt the red filly would like to remain in hiding, she also knows that she will never fully heal if she does.

Turning her gaze back to the roan stallion, she smiles in response to his comment. As he asks his next question, she turns her thoughtful gaze back to the nearby line of trees. It had been some time since she had come here. The years seem to have melded together, rolling past in the blink of an eye. She took a moment to recall the actual number.

“This shall be my eighth summer here. I was actually born here, many, many summers ago. But I left with my mother before I was even a weanling. I returned after years of visiting many of the lands beyond Beqanna.”

Turning her cinnamon eyes back to Weir, she gazes at him contemplatively for a long moment. In a sudden movement, she leaves the water. Once on the bank, she turns back to him, the smile returned to her lips.

“Shall we begin the tour with our mighty river? It runs through the heart of the Dale.”
    elysteria

He stares quizzically as she turns to smile at him, maw still dripping from his drink. He learns that she had been here for 8 summers, that was one more year than he had even been alive you know. He traces this information somewhere on the chalkboard that is his mind. Bred here, born here, the woman was a native to these parts. She had to though, ventured outside the realm, which seemed to be more than most could say.

Finally he shakes, kind of like a dog if horses did do that sort of thing, an attempt to free himself from moisture. Actually that’s where he had seen the display, a wild dog somewhere between Nunnely Hill and Priese. It was a spotted thing, a true miss match of colors. Its ears were far too large for its head, and it was rather small. Not like what Weir thought a dog should be.

She had found her way back home, of course the path always did seem to lead back there. Though as the years went by Weir had become to feel a stranger in is homelands. Perhaps this time he should not return? No, that was a silly thought, let’s not get carried away ol’ chap, he thought to himself rather amused at his own joke. Oh what was that?
    She had offered him a tour of the river, well, he couldn’t pass that up.“Yes the river, that sounds like a plan. Perhaps we may even see a Pseudemys concinna concinna! I hear they get up to 12 inches in length here abouts.” He prattles on, something about turtles and how hard they were to catch.

html by Call
    Had she known his age, she might have felt ancient in comparison. Not that age matters much to her. Not anymore, at least. Even so, she is still old as compared to many of the inhabitants of this land (with a few exceptions, of course). When one had aged so many years, it is easy to begin losing track of them. It occurs to her with a sudden start that she cannot even recall exactly how many summers ago it is that she had been born. She had already been several times the roan stallion’s age when she had returned to the Dale those short eight summers ago. But in eight years, so much had changed. Even she had changed.

But that is not something she wishes to linger on now. As he begins to shake excess water from himself, Elysteria steps back, a grin forming on her lips. It is refreshing to be able to converse so easily with a horse, to be able to behave in a less restrained manner. It had been some time since she had had the opportunity to have such an easy, simple conversation. A conversation with no expectations, with no goals. She had missed that.

She nods slightly as he assents to her suggestion, her delicate ears tipping forward to catch the rest of his comment. A quizzical expression crosses her features as he mentions an animal she had never heard of before.

“A Pseudemys concinna concinna? I’m afraid I do not know of this animal.”

As he continues, discussing the difficulty of catching such a turtle, her expression clears. Turtles she does know of (or at least, she has some limited knowledge of them).

“Ah. We do have several varieties of turtles here. I would be hard pressed to name all of them for you though. But if we keep an eye out, we might catch sight of one or two.”

With a lingering smile, she turns and begins in the direction of the river. Her step is relaxed, unhurried. Cinnamon eyes sparkling brightly, she turns her warm gaze back onto Weir.

“Do you study animals? You seem to know a fair amount about these turtles.”
    elysteria

His words taper off somewhere, an unintelligible mess. It was sometimes uncertain who exactly Weir was talking to. Himself, another, perhaps just to anyone and no one at all. That also, was just as likely. Her words filter in through his auds, questions of what he was exactly talking about? ”Ah yes, the Pseudemys concinna conicca. Also known as, the Eastern river cooter. Lovely creature, as far as turtles go. Not to be confused with the yellow-bellied slider. Trachemys scripta scripta. Why they can reach a full 16 inches in length, but I have yet seen one that large.” He says with a chuckle, perhaps something about that was funny. Maybe he had made a joke of some sort? Turtles were a fascinating subject, any subject really. A walking, talking encyclopedia. That was Weir, and Weir was that.

“My lady, I would never be so presumptions to expect you to name them all.” he returned rather seriously. A very certain look in his amber orbs. There were literally hundreds of different types of turtles, he was unsure that even he could name them all. Well, perhaps if he really sat down to it he could. That was not today though. Today he was off to the see the river. A lovely guide, and a warm sun on his back. No today was not a day for listing turtles, he decided.

She asked after him about animals. Surely he did study animals. He studied everything, anything at all. ”Why yes, I do study them. I take time to study all things. Knowledge is power you know? It also is very handy for a gentleman of my finicky trait persuasion. Rather useful to know a lot, about a lot. Never know when you might need it.” he said brightly.  Settling into her gentle stride, with no signs of being in a hurry, his head following each step. A gently sway. Up down up down up down. They had the afternoon. They had the week even, if it took that. You could not rush things with Weir.

Eclectic Vagabond of the Dale
    The red mare listens intently as he expounds on the merits of turtles, a small half smile quirking her lips. To be honest, she had never considered the specifics of turtles overly much (or much of the wildlife that inhabits the Dale, for that matter). Of course she had taken it upon herself to learn something of the more dangerous animals that share the land with them, for safety’s sake, but the quieter inhabitants had not garnered much of her attention. And for that reason, she has little doubt she can learn a great deal from this roan stallion.

She considers him closely as they continue in the direction of the river. She maintains their easy pace with a slow stride conducive to conversation. Her bright cinnamon eyes shine brightly with unfeigned interest, her desire to hear her companion’s stories obvious.

“I must agree. Knowledge is power. I’m afraid I’m somewhat lacking though, as I know so very little about nature when compared to you. Perhaps you might teach me some of what you know?”

She feels no shame in admitting her lack. That is how one learns after all. At her age, she had long ago realized that there is always something one does not know about. And what she might lack in knowledge of nature, she more than makes up for in her knowledge of her fellow horses. She does not claim to be an expert by any means, but there is good reason for her excellence in diplomacy and battle.

When he mentions his finicky trait, Elysteria tips her head slightly, her gaze lighting with curiosity. She had suspected he had some talents of his own, though she hadn’t had an opportunity to confirm until now.

“I did not realize you had a power of your own. Do you mind my asking what you can do?”
    elysteria

Words.

Words are music to his ears, floating from the bay vixen. She was an impeccable listener, as he spotted her attentions from sidelong glances. Her cinnamon eyes, watching him with ever the astute gaze. She did not seem to bore with his own speech, his constant ramblings. The thoughts that poured miles long, and fields wide from his chattering jaw. AS much as Weir enjoyed conversation, he also enjoyed a good listener to converse to. Often he found only children eager to hear what ever odd comments might slip his lips, but it was refreshing to have an adult conversation.

She even surprised him a step father, inquiring if he would teach her. Share with her the things he knew about nature, be that plant or animals. Perhaps both. Likely both, he assured himself. Sometimes Weir could be an insufferable know it all, sometimes though one might find themselves relying on those over shares to save their own skin. Weir didn't mind of course, he had let go of caring what others thought long ago. He nods an enthusiastic agreement, "I would be most delighted. I find myself never in the presence of too many ears." He laughs. At his joke, at himself. He laughs.

He can smell the river nearing, as their talk turns, from his own doing really. His talent, ah yes, that little tidbit. He seemed to look around, ever wary of eavesdroppers, he did not wish to have rumors spread of his talents. "Ah yes, well. I can change the outcome of others magic. All magics. Plain magics, water magic, scrying magic. If it is a magic then I can manipulate it, though it is a fickle fiend. You have to be precise, else the turn of events might not be so very helpful at all." Very matter of fact, he continued his explanation, having chosen to follow through and stay with this herd.
    "Changes to magic must coincide, for example a fire. Fire can be changed to many things, lava, smoke. What is fire though? Heat,energy,oxygen. Instead the sun could be made to blister the earth, I could instead tempt the oxygen from ones lungs, could in turn force too much oxygen into them. I might instead create a thousand shooting stars, with science, possibilities become endless. Not that I would do all those things, surely not. The situation would need be most dire."He did his best to erasure her with that last bit, thinking he might have chosen less daunting examples. ((sorry for shortness, my little monkey is ready to go home XD  ))

Eclectic Vagabond of the Dale