• Logout
  • Beqanna

    version 22: awakening

    COTY

    LILLIANA -- Year 206

    QOTY

    "There is still something of himself - something of the Wolfbane who would always love her - that rallies against the slime. It says, 'lie in the bed you’ve made'. So he gathers the covers and tucks himself in." -- Wolfbane, written by Calcifer


    Trait Genetics

    Every horse in the Beqannaian universe has two more genes than the average horse. These two genes are the Magical Trait Gene and the The Trait Expression Gene, often abbreviated MTG and TEG.

    The Trait Expression Gene

    The Trait Expression Gene (TEG) is the simpler of the two. It is a simple recessive gene. There are three possibilities for the TEG, and all horses will have one of the following genotypes:

    TEGTEG or TEGteg or tegteg

    1. If a horse possesses and expresses any traits at all (ie physical, like wings, and/or mental, like telepathy), then their TEG would be homozygous recessive, and look like this: tegteg
    2. If a horse had one parent with expressed traits and one without expressed traits, and do not themselves have traits, their Trait Expression Gene would be heterozygous, and would look like this: TEGteg
    3. If a horse had parents that did not have any traits and does not have any traits themselves, their TEG would be homozygous dominant, and would look like this: TEGTEG

    The Magical Trait Gene

    The Magical Trait Gene (MTG) is somewhat more complicated, mostly because there are so many traits existing in Beqanna, and because while expressed traits are obviously visible, some traits can sometimes “hide” in the horse’s genes, and they can pass down a trait they don’t even know they have.

    A horse can either possess a trait, be a carrier for the trait, or not be a carrier (i.e. have no trait at all). So for example, Bob has wings, meaning (obviously) that he has wings. Linda’s mom had wings, so Linda would be a carrier for wings. No horse in Tina’s family has ever had wings, so she is neither a carrier of wings, nor does she express them.

    If a horse has wings, it is written in their genetic code as [WINGS]. If a horse is a carrier for wings, it would be written in their code as [wings]. If a horse neither has wings nor is a carrier, they wouldn’t have anything about wings at all in their genetic code. The MTG code of a horse can be super short or very long, depending on what traits the horse has. If a horse has no traits and carries no traits, its MTG code will be blank.

    But what if a horse has a lot of traits? Let’s take Louise as an example. Louise has wings and a horn. Her father had immortality, and her mother had firebreathing, but Louise doesn’t have either of those abilities herself. Louise’s MTG would be: [WINGS][HORN][immortality][firebreathing]

    A horse only has four active spaces on their TEG gene, meaning that the traits they express can only take up four spaces, and some traits are “larger” than others. They can carry an unlimited number of traits. If they currently (as of January 2016) express traits that add up to a total more than four, you may choose which trait will be inherited by their offspring as a carried trait.

    For example, if fairies determine that Anastasia’s genetic code was tegteg [WINGS][TELEPATHY][HORNS][SCALES][immortality], her active traits add up to 5, and her player will need to choose which trait will act as a carried trait. She will still express all traits, but one will be written as [TRAIT*], with the asterisk indicating that the trait, while expressed, will act as a carried trait when it comes to inheritance.

    A list of traits and the number of spaces they take up on the gene is available at the bottom of the Genetics Guide.

    Non-Genetic Traits

    Non-genetic traits are still non-genetic, though they will be displayed in a horse's TEG according to the following rules. A horse's offspring will not inherit non-genetic traits.

    If a Fluffy joins Beqanna, his Trait Expression Gene is, by default, TEGTEG. But what if Fluffy saves a princess in a quest and gets a nice pair of hawk wings as a reward?

    Fluffy’s TEG will not change, but the genetics for wings will appear in his genetic code as [wings*]. But that’s not right, you say! If a horse has a trait, it should be in all CAPITALS. That’s true, if the trait is a traditionally genetic trait. But since Fluffy’s wings are non-genetic, they will be written in lowercase, with an asterisk to signify that they are expressed despite the TEG.

    Trait Mutations

    Since traits are, in essence, little bits of magic, they can sometimes combine in unexpected ways that seem to contradit what we know of Beqanna genetics. Don't be surprised if a horse with wolf shapeshifting and a horse with a fish tail have a baby with fish shifting, or if a horse with Heat manipulation and an untraited horse have a baby that has flames instead of a mane and tail. A horse with shapeshifting, telepathy, and wings might have a foal that can speak telepathically with birds rather than inherting all of thier parent's fancy traits. Consider it a fun, random, combination that adds more excitement to Beqanna!

    Larger traits, since they contain more magic, are more likely to mutate than smaller traits.

    1. 1 space traits remain stable 99% of the time
    2. 2 space traits remain stable 66% of the time
    3. 3 space traits remain stable 33% of the time
    4. 4 space traits remain stable 10% of the time
    5. Magic always mutates

    Magic

    How does it work if a parent has magic? Magic is fickle, and it is not inherited the same way other traits are. Magic always mutates on the gene and becomes a random trait that is either expressed or unexpressed (depending on the TEG of the foal).

    Breeding

    So two traited parents will always have a traited baby, right? Not at all. Two traited parents can still have a baby without traits.

    A genetic trait will always be passed down to a foal, but it can be passed down as an expressed trait OR as a carried trait. So if Winged Derek and Shapeshifting Paige have a baby, the baby will always express any traits it has, but it won’t express traits that it is just a carrier. So Derek and Paige’s foal will be tegteg[wings][shapeshifting], and will be able to potentially pass down Derek and Paige’s traits to their own children, even though they don’t express those traits themselves.

    See the below sections on determining TEG and MTG to see how fairies will determine breeding stats.

    Determining TEG

    Aka "will my foal express traits or not?"

    We use the percentages from a calculated Punnet Square. Parents that are both either TEGTEG or tegteg, will always have a foal with the same TEG. The other possible combinations or TEG genetics are listed in punnet squares below, with the percentages of each cross directly below them:

    Parent 2

    25% of homozygous TEGTEG (will not express traits)

    50% of heterozygous TEGteg (will not express traits)

    25% chance of homozygous tegteg (will express traits)

    TEG teg
    P
    a
    r
    e
    n
    t
    1
    TEG TEGTEG TEGteg
    teg TEGteg tegteg
    Parent 2

    50% chance of homozygous TEGTEG (will not express traits)

    50% of heterozygous TEGteg (will not express traits)

    TEG TEG
    P
    a
    r
    e
    n
    t
    1
    TEG TEGTEG TEGTEG
    teg TEGteg TEGteg
    Parent 2

    50% chance of heterozygous TEGteg (will not express traits)

    50% chance of homozygous tegteg (will express traits)

    TEG teg
    P
    a
    r
    e
    n
    t
    1
    teg TEGteg tegteg
    teg TEGteg tegteg
    Parent 2

    100% chance of TEGteg (will not express traits)

    TEG TEG
    P
    a
    r
    e
    n
    t
    1
    teg TEGteg TEGteg
    teg TEGteg TEGteg
    Parent 2

    100% chance of homozygous tegteg (will express traits)

    teg teg
    P
    a
    r
    e
    n
    t
    1
    teg tegteg tegteg
    teg tegteg tegteg

    Determining MTG

    Aka "what traits does my foal inherit?"

    If a horse has a genetic trait their foal will always inherit the genes for that trait. What we calculate is whether that inheritance will be as having the trait itself, or simply being a carrier for the trait. All foals have a 50% chance of having the trait, and a 50% chance of inheriting the trait. If two parents have the same trait it will be rolled for twice, and therefore has twice the chance of inheriting the trait as a foal would if only one parent had the trait.

    If a horse is a carrier for their trait, they have a 50% chance of passing on their trait. If we roll for “passing on”, we then roll again (50/50) to determine if the foal will also be a carrier like their parent, or if they will express the trait. This means that a horse that is a carrier has a 25% chance of having a foal that expresses their parent’s carried trait.

    For non-genetic traits, there is no inheritance.

    Some Examples

    1. Scott and Allison: Allison is tegteg [WINGS][horns]. This means that Allison expresses wings, and is a carrier for horns. Scott is TEGteg [HORNS][immortality]. This means that Scott does not express any traits, but is a carrier for immortality and has unexpressed horns. If Scott and Allison have a foal, there is a 25% chance that their foal will not express traits (having TEGteg), and a 75% chance that it will express traits (having tegteg). There is a 50% chance that the foal will have wings, and a 50% chance that it will be a carrier for wings. There is a 75% chance that the foal will express horns, and if it does not, there will be a 75% chance that it will be a carrier for horns. The foal has a 25% chance of being a carrier for immortality, and a 25% chance of expressing immortality.
    2. Scott and Kira: As before, Scott is TEGteg [HORNS][immortality]. This means that Scott does not express any traits, but is a carrier for immortality and has unexpressed horns. Kira is TEGTEG [horns], meaning that she does not express traits, but is a carrier for horns. Scott and Kira’s foal will not express any traits, because it will either be TEGTEG or TEGteg. However, it has a 25% chance of have unexpressed immortality, and a 25% chance of being a carrier for immortality. It also has a 75% possibility of having unexpressed horns, and a 75% possibility of being a carrier of horns.
    3. Stiles and Lydia: Lydia is tegteg. This means that she would express any traits that she had, but she does not have any traits. Stiles is TEGteg [immortality*], which means he has non-genetic immortality. There is a 25% chance that Lydia and Stiles will have a foal with TEGteg, and a 75% chance they will have a foal that is tegteg. There is a 12.5% chance that their foal will inherit immortality, and a 12.5% chance it will be a carrier for immortality.

    Existing Characters

    How do i figure out my 700 pre-existing characters' TEG and MTG? The short answer is, you don’t have to!

    Trait genetics is going into effect for a temporary trial period (that may be extended depending on feedback). For those of you that would prefer to use the traditional trait determination method, you are more than welcome to do so.

    Each player may request “genetic tests” for up to ten of their characters through this forum. You will need to provide both genetic and nongenetic traits (or lack of) for each character, each character's parents (and the time of their character’s conception), and each character’s grandparents (at the time of their character’s parents’ conceptions). The officers will then give you the genetic code for your character. This code cannot be changed or altered, and anyone caught doing so will receive a warning.

    If you have the genetic code for both your character and the character they are breeding with, the faeries will perform in depth genetics during breeding..

    Reading Genetic Codes

    1. TEGTEG – this horse may carry and possess traits, but will not express any traits unless they are written as [-TRAIT-] or [-TRAIT-*] or [trait*].
    2. TEGteg – this horse may carry and possess traits, but will not express any traits unless they are written as [-TRAIT-] or [-TRAIT-*] or [trait*].
    3. tegteg – this horse will express all traits written as [TRAIT], [TRAIT*], [-TRAIT-], [-TRAIT-*], and [trait*]. They might also carry traits.
    4. [trait] – this trait is carried. the horse does not have this trait. There is a 12.5% likelihood that any offspring will also be a carrier, and a 12.5% likelihood that offspring will possess the actual trait.
    5. [TRAIT] – this trait is possessed by the horse, and if the horse is tegteg, they will express the trait. Any offspring will either possess the actual trait (50% likelihood) or will carry it (50% likelihood).
    6. [trait*] – this trait is possessed by the horse, and is considered non-genetic. The horse will express this trait regardless of its TEG. Offspring cannot inherit this trait.
    7. [TRAIT*] – this trait is expressed by the horse only if they are tegteg. This trait has been chosen by the player to be considered non-genetic, since when combined with other traits, it takes up more than the four spaces on the trait gene. Offspring cannot inherit this trait.
    8. [-TRAIT-] – this trait is possessed by the horse regardless of their TEG. Any offspring will either possess the actual trait (50% likelihood) or will carry it (50% likelihood).
    9. [-TRAIT-*] – this trait is possessed by the horse regardless of their TEG, and has been chosen by the player as non-genetic. Offspring cannot inherit this trait.