• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Dipping my toes in the water; Heartfire
    Ilma
    One night I will be the moon
    hanging over you

One night I will be a star
    follow where you are
    There’s subtle things about Heartfire’s demeanor that are just fine with Ilma - acknowledgements, a nod, an appropriate response to what someone else is feeling. There’s no-one saying that Heartfire is a very sensitive woman, but neither should anyone think her heartless. No - heartless is what Castile had portrayed so many times.

He’d once claimed she had been among those who he could trust, but he had never truly acted upon it. Never trusted her with any information, never with his true feelings. She’d tried several times to reach beneath the surface, but beneath the surface was where he’d stored many other things than just his longing for peace - if, truly, that was what he wanted anyway. By now, Ilma had come to realize she’d have to dig through a shitload of dreg, pardon her speech, and she was done getting her hands dirty for someone who wouldn’t move a muscle to help her clean up.

Heartfire’s confirmation is not strictly necessary, but the politeness and extended trust it implies for easily admitting it, is something Ilma can appreciate. The subtle art of diplomacy may be a little rusty for her, the white woman thinks at times, but she can still understand and relearn. She smiles a little at the joke, then nods at the sabino roan’s implications. That Ilma can’t give back in to her kindness. Well, she’s been broken and now is angry enough, not to believe anything Castile says any more. ”I believe we will.” Frankly, the Nerinians had been her allies for as long as she could remember, even if she had thought that she herself might not fit among them at the time. ”He claims to want peace, but in his mind peace and conquering go hand in hand. There’s only peace when he rules everything - but he doesn’t see that it won’t stop there.” She shakes her head. The conclusion had been painful to draw, but it had been clear enough for her not to reject the theory. In fact, Castile had only confirmed it last time they spoke, and his actions spoke even louder than that.

The Andalusian mare’s head turns a little to the south-west, thinking it over. It wasn’t just Castile who was like that. Litotes was much the same, though he, more or less, could still be reasoned with. And Vul… she remembers when he had been so desperate for a friend, and so torn between his snake-like abilities and his horse-self in not wanting to eat her. She remembers him bringing Adna to Hyline, to learn of diplomacy - which had lead to the conclusion that he was worse at it than his daughter, at the time. He was a warmonger too, Ilma knows. ”It’s a pity that the warmongers make up more than half of the current kingdom rulers.” she concludes softly, then frowns. Heartfire would have to be enough. For as much as the woman was unique, she was not to be categorized in either diplomat or warrior. She never had been.

Returning her gaze to Heartfire, the sunlight-winged mare gives her ally a slight nod. ”Then I’ll head to the islands and peninsulas first.” she thinks. There is, after all, no talking to Lepis or Starsin, as they both know. ”Is there anything you want to offer them that I should be aware of?” If not, then still Ilma could talk to them about the extent of Lepis’ and Loess’ friendship - if they haven’t found out the hard way already.
    Hurry, the sun is waking
    Darling, don't leave me waiting

@[Heartfire]
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

Messages In This Thread
    Dipping my toes in the water; Heartfire - by Ilma - 09-17-2019, 04:48 AM
    RE: Dipping my toes in the water; Heartfire - by Ilma - 10-23-2019, 02:34 AM