• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  hollow riches

boy what's normal to you? 'cause that sure ain't normal to me.

There is a strange tranquility that permeates from Litotes. Where before there was tension and sadness, now an odd understanding vibrates along his skin. I never hated you, he thinks, wishing that Dawn could read his thoughts and know what drove him to this. There is no spite, and though once it was hot and angry and burbling up his throat, it now only settles like hardened magma upon his chest.

Whatever it is that dragged him from his place in Pangea, whatever it is that has led him by a dangling hook, whatever ugly and seething monster burrowed into his heart - it did not matter. None of it matters, he thinks. Memories of his time on the Mountain, of his breath catching in his throat just as Kensa sips her cure: they rush to the forefront of his mind. Nothing matters, in such an ugly and cruel way, and all the two of them can do is make the world as right as they possibly can while they are here.

Apathy is for the weak, the Archon thinks, and I have dwelled in it for far too long.

“Dawn,” Lie begins, voice breaking off at the end of her name. “Those are terms I can agree to, though I would not be quick to assume my shadows are anymore powerful than your magic.” There is a bitter sincerity and an underlying sadness to his admittance. He feels shell shocked, powerless. His ears ring as if he has just struggled to his feet after a bomb set off.

He feels -
    hollow.
    The last few years have been so meaningless.

“I . . .” Litotes hisses, gritting his teeth together. The last remnants of the dying sun blind him. Water splashes cold against his hocks. His hooves slowly sink into the sand. Grounded, he thinks, I need to remain here for once.

“I remember when we were children,” he starts, stumbling over his words as if his tongue is a child tumbling down a hill. “There was a party - I don’t think you were there - but that is besides the point -” he stops, attempting desperately to gather his thoughts. “I remember, Dawn,” he murmurs on a sigh, solemn eyes reflecting the twilight. “That party was the happiest time of my life, I think. There are joys to who I am today - children, companionship, even love - but never again will I feel carefree. And now,” he laughs, a startling noise that is half of a choke and half of a cry, “I don’t feel anything. I don’t even want to take your crown from you. There has been so much riding on me since my time in Loess, the only thing I could truly bear was my need to prove to every ingrate that doubted me that I could do it.”

Do what? Not even I know.
    He tries to think but those two sentences merely echo.

“I don’t want this, Dawn,” he whispers with a shake of his head. His lifts his gaze to find her eyes. “I don’t want to do this alone anymore.” The cremello swallows back the pain that beats at the back of his eyes, swallows his cursed pride. Again he laughs inappropriately, feeling ridiculous in his vulnerability. Litotes straightens and draws in a deep breathe, muscles relaxing into a regal stand.

“You are different now, so vastly different from the girl I met on the beach. The East, too - so much fiercer than before. I admire your growth and the irresistible call of this land. Now, I only ask of you a co-ruling,” he pauses, attempts to fight any overwhelming emotion. “We both have personal allies on opposite sides of Beqanna. I have no designs on chaos, and together we may be able to protect the land we have both sacrificed so much for. My relationship with Loess is complicated, and while I do have those there I care for, my allegiance is only to myself and my home.

“I want to lead, Dawn, but I am tired of the violence.”

and if i fall would you know that to do?
    and if i'm caught up would you stay?

Litotes

@[Dawn]

Messages In This Thread
    hollow riches - by litotes - 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
    RE: hollow riches - by Dawn - 05-25-2019, 09:30 PM
    RE: hollow riches - by litotes - 05-28-2019, 11:01 PM
    RE: hollow riches - by Dawn - 05-30-2019, 11:10 PM
    RE: hollow riches - by litotes - 06-07-2019, 06:56 PM
    RE: hollow riches - by Dawn - 06-17-2019, 10:48 PM