• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Grief does not change you; [triggerwarning]
    "And I looked, and behold a pale horse.
    And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
    “You are nothing.”

“I am nothing.”

“You are nothing.”

“I am nothing.”

It was a cycle that started with his mother. She was a rather lovely thing that decided to leave the safety of her parents’ herd and try her luck in a field. They all flocked. She was so beautiful, they said: “Come with me, we’ll live happily ever after—” So clever, “you should join us. You’ll climb our ranks and do so well. You’ll make something of yourself.” But she didn’t want to live in a kingdom. She explained that she wanted a simple life, similar to the one her mother and father had lived. Just like their mother and father before them, and so on. She bade the recruiters farewell and focused on the stallions. She chose his father and in doing so, she chose wrong; he raped more in that first year than he would in the years to follow.

Come the following spring, she produced a son.

He didn’t want sons.

He wanted daughters; you see, in his mind daughters meant more daughters. He could ensure a perfectly pure line and wanted to leave no son alive. If he did, that son might grow up big and strong enough to return and challenge him for his land and his ‘belongings.’ She, for whatever reason, was incapable of producing a female child and so many of their sons—’my brothers’—were murdered each spring.

He was never able to secure another mare and both of them grew very old.

She got sick.

Soma was her last.

She died shortly after his birth.

He didn’t kill Soma.

Although, as Soma got older, there was many a time when he wished he had.

With no mares around, he turned his ‘attention’ to his son and Soma suffered a great deal. There is no reason to share the details, he would take them with him to his grave—but in the end, his father got everything he deserved. He suffered, too, and then Soma left his body at the bottom of a ravine to be covered by ice and snow. He doesn’t regret killing the man. It feels like a giant weight has been lifted off his shoulders, like someone breathing life back into his body; the others will not know what was done to him and he thinks, as he nears Beqanna, that he can almost be normal.

Almost.

“You are nothing.”

“I am nothing.”

“You are nothing.”

“I am nothing.”

The Field isn’t as vast as he imagined it to be, nor as busy and hard to navigate as his father made it seem; there appears to be a general ebb and flow that keeps things running as smooth as a stream and for the first few days, Soma watches. He learns. The first thing he notices is how clean and pretty they are. He must look like a savage by comparison. There is still mud and blood splattered across his spotted coat, his thick black mane is matted down to the roots and falls about his neck in dirty dreads; the flies swarm, nibbling at his skin and picking at the thin gash on his shoulder. Soma comes to a halt and carefully considers the stream not so far from him.

He could wash off there, if no one else minds. It might, after all, be someone else’s watering hole—it always belongs to someone, doesn’t it? —and again, for the first few days, he just washes. Itchy and stinky, the flies making him miserable. When no one seems to come back to claim the water, he doesn’t hesitate; he rushes in and splashes around, he rolls and grunts and snorts. He washes away all of the blood and the dirt, the aches and the pain from memories he wished he didn’t have and then he lies there. He lets the water rush past him, lets it cleanse him in a way he doesn’t quite understand but it makes him feel relaxed regardless.

Almost two weeks ago, he killed someone.

It was definitely time he took a bath.
    Soma

I know you're trying to fight when you feel like flying.
    Recruiting has never been my thing. Really, I’ve stayed out of kingdom business, prince or no, as long as I could. But after the kingdom meeting, after Dad changed the rules and made the Tundra a kingdom of equality instead of an archaic bachelor land, I realized…it’s time to grow up. Time to make something of myself.

I may not be ready to go start a herd with Lee yet, to go rescue little lost boys and girls and give them a home like Mom and Dad gave us, but I can do something. I can help the Tundra grow into its new role. So for the first time in my life, I make my way to the recruitment field, hoping maybe I’ll find another girl to add to the newly opened ranks so Mari and Igni aren’t alone.

That isn’t quite what happens, though.

I follow the stream that leads south toward the field, and before I quite reach the main gathering place I come across a stranger. Not a girl, but really I’m not picky and that was only an idea. Probably better to go in with an open mind anyhow, right? Right. So.

Recruiting.

Um.

How does this work, anyhow? I duck my head, my ash grey forelock falling over my face as I take a deep breath and steel myself to step forward. Heart racing, I open my mouth, but no words come out. Come on, Nevi, just say hello. Another breath, and I try again. “Um. H-hello there. My name’s Neve--uh. Nevi.” Breathe, it’s not that big a deal.

I take another hesitant step forward, tearing my gaze from the ground to glance over at the spotted stallion. “Are...are you here looking for a home?”
    If you love me, don't let go.
    i counted the stars tonight, i gathered them all
    Her pale eyes flick around the decaying scenery. The leaves are dead, the grasses yellow, the need for something more has been a tingling little nag in the back of her mind. It’s daylight, slowly the other, horses, the word is a menace in itself, bitter, foul, it tastes like shit, they creep closer. Almost as if they know she is there, just behind the leaves, the few bushes shielding her from their nasty looks, and rotten words. It’s not enough anymore, they want her, they look for her, they find her. One almost destroyed her little patch, another demanded her secrets, still another… the scar on her right shoulder tingles in memory.

She douses it all, it is time, she knows this, she doesn’t want it. She glowers, her jaw set, her lips and lids squeeze tight, she dashes wildly. Going deeper, past the trees, the branches lurch snagging her mane whipping her hide, scratching her skin bloody. The red roan runs like a madman, as far and as fast as she possibly can. She needs to get away from others, she does not want the old man with snake eyes, she does not want to child with flames, she does not want the mother with teal. At this she falters, stumbling to a stop. Yes child, you remember us. Her nostrils wrinkle in distaste. The voices, they are always there, a shadow that curved, and meandered along her side.

She wonders at where she is, this is not the place that she has spent her three-year lifetime, this is not the place that she has grown to know, and recognize. The smells are revolting, the scenery is tedious, and the horses…. She looks for them, at first there are none. At this she relaxes, she could make a new nest, she could begin again, there would be no encroaching visitors. She would not need to be social, until… the disturbance in the gurgling water makes her swivel her head around. There they were, she glowers cold eyes at them. How dare they The deeply sinister voice growls into her ear.

All she wants is peace, quiet, nobody, nothing, just herself. At least then she can talk to her voices and calm them down, they don’t rage in her ear, crying, begging, demanding her attention, not like they do when others are around. The black horn does not glow in these moments, the starlight is not present to wrap itself around the spiraling spike, and radiate from it. At these moments, her black tips stand contrast to the red and cream of the rest of her. Her body is sleek, her legs thin, her mane and tail long full of luster. Her hips are full, and she is. female. No longer the spindly little filly at her mother’s side, glassy eyed, begging to the stars. Her eyes still pale, swirling with starlight, having taken on a sharper, slightly darker definition, with the black rimming tracing the threshold of her coloring, and the whites that surround it.

It’s not like she has had a terrible life, certainly nothing to complain about, and up till now she has never even considered anything worthy of emotion. Lately horses have been poking and prodding, curious, and pushy, its driving her insane. A new feeling was discovered through this, it boils, and chills, it sits low, tensing her muscles, making her nerves crawl out of her skin. This started when her first season happened, not that long ago. The writhing heat was unbearable, the pain, the sweat, the itch, and burn, she could not understand it, could not know exactly what it is that she has experienced, all she does know is that she hopes it is over for good. Because right after, the bleeding started, first the dizziness was almost too much, but then trying to get up, her legs shook, and her head spun. How she lived, she could not guess, was she crazy for experiencing this?

Since then she had cleaned up, lost the last of her baby fluff, filled out, and her mane/tail had lengthened. Now she stands before two horses, both of them smell different from her mother, and herself. Its puzzling, slightly intriguing, though there is no way for her to understand just what it is. It makes her step forward, Nevi She tastes the word, but says nothing more. There is no indication of what it feels like, because all she does know is the crawling doesn’t happen when she says it. So it must be a good thing right? She cocks her head slightly watching them, stepping a little closer until the water laps just at her dainty hooves. They reach for her, but never do they make it, they like everything else can never quite touch her.
    Oricle
    so will you hold cause time is cold
    but in your soul im standing by