• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Sunrise

Fayella stands with her head held high, white mane with black streaks fluttering in the gentle morning breeze. Her piercing, pale blue eyes scan the horizon as she watches the sunrise. Beautiful pink, orange and purple hues fill the sky, the sun waking up to greet Fayella's little corner of the world. She enjoys taking a moment to savor this simple luxury before she begins to move again. 

She is in a strange land, trying to find a place to stay, maybe a herd. Trying to start over. She's been traveling for days. Though she has endurance with her powerful draft build, she has grown increasingly weary. Sweat glistening on her black and white patched coat, Fayella heads into a clearing. Tall grass sways in the wind, and miscellaneous flowers are dotted all over the field. Her ears swivel back and forth, eyes searching for any dangers. 

Confident that all is well, she dips her head to munch on the inviting green grass. Her tail swishes, and her skin ripples, warding off pesky flies. Suddenly, she hears rustling near the treelike around the clearing. Her head jerks up, ears pricked forward. She nickers. "Hello? Who's there?

Fayella

We're the song inside the tune full of beautiful mistakes

She really should not harbor a dislike for this place - it brought her to the Jungle after all, and if she is grateful for anything in her life, it is for that and that alone (and the company of the Jungle’s own Queen whom Riva seems to have taken a shine to, which probably isn’t saying much… she doesn’t take a shine to anything really…). But here she is, standing tall and thin in her bay tovero dress, eyeballing the day’s denizens of the field in hopes that there might be something of worth to approach and extend an offer to. She doesn’t care one bit if she is successful in her attempts, for she is making an effort to recruit and that ought to be enough for now to sustain her place amongst them - the Amazons, those fierce sisters to whom she is now pledged, likely for life, too.

A giant of a mare catches her eye, painted too, but all girthy and all manner of brawn becomes her and Riva appraises her from a distance, deep in contemplation. Yes, she thinks, this mare might be a good addition, even if she proves to be more peaceful than her warrior shape belies. No matter, there is room for all in the Jungle (as long as they are female, she has smelled the musk of males but they seem to be Amazonian get or the few that are mated to some sister or another) and she knows this well - it took her in, after all. The paint decides to cut through the trees, and she doesn’t bother to quiet her step as she barrels through the bracken making as much noise as equinely possibly - Riva was never a quiet horse, unless she had need to be, but there was never a need to hush her step or mind the land around her.

“Just me,” she says as she pops into the clearing with a loud crack of branches snapping on the bushes at the point of her breast as she breaks through them with a lack of grace. “I’m Riva, and I come to offer you a home,” she says to the once-grazing mare who has flung her head up so warily, and the paint likes that the giant was aware of her surroundings and not at all foolish enough to graze along in a sweet little daydream, so unaware of the danger that lurked out there. Not that Riva was dangerous by any stretch of the imagination, she might be temporarily scary, but hardly more than that as she sizes up the giant up close and smiles, “I take it you are in need of a home, right?”

The second the attractive bay paint mare breaks through the trees, Fayella knows she has come upon a horse that demands respect, whether she realizes it or not, her body language simply says she  has confidence. Acknowledging this, when the mare, who introduces herself as Riva, comes up to her, and offers her a home, Fayella is pleasantly surprised and (undeniably) excited, but she know she must try to keep her head so she doesn't look like a complete ninny. So she clears her throat, holds her head up, trying to hide her nervousness, and settles her pale blue eyes on Riva's. "Hello, Riva. I'm Fayella," she says, and gives a little bow. "You are correct, I am searching for a new herd. Would you mind telling me a little about this home, and where it is?" She's surprised at how confident her voice sounded, although her stomach is doing backflips in reality. This is it, she thinks. Either I'll have a herd, hopefully for life, or I'll do something dumb and screw it all up. Ears pricked forward, her piercing blue eyes scan Riva's face as though she could possibly see into her thoughts, as she awaited the mare's reply. 

Fayella

Respect? She is not certain that she warrants respect on her mere presence alone, but Riva will take it and in turn, extend the respect back to her fellow mare. Confidence, on the other hand (er, hoof?), she has plenty of - if only because she is rather fearless and far too blunt to be anything but confident in all that she does, whether faced with failure or not. Riva knows that in the end, nothing really matters and the few things that do, she already has. Like or not, the thick vanner mare has Riva’s utmost attention and likewise, her respect.

Her eyes are just plain brown, like everything else about Riva - plain and simple, if not sharp and thin, and she does eat but hardly retains fat like others do. Might have something to do with a lack of nourishment during her most formative years but that’s a bone of contention to worry at another day. Right now, she is still sizing up the gypsy horse and overlooking that faint first trace of nerves that spill along the other’s pale gaze so unlike Riva’s own mud-dark one. “No need to bow, girl.” Riva laughs, she cannot help it but she will not be bowed to - no one should bow down to another, whether in servitude or welcome. Still, she likes the quick way that Fayella responds to her and even the hint of excitement in the big girl.

“Of course,” she says matter of factly, not one to mince the meat of her words and she settles down to telling it like it is - “I come from the Jungle, which is home to the Amazons. Really what that means is, it is a place for mares. Oh sure, we have stallions there for a time or two but most of them are brothers, sons, or a few of the sisters’ own mates whom the Jungle allows in. Those that mean us harm are cast out and rather quickly I should say. We are ruled by a Queen, Lagertha, who is fierce as she is wise and by far, she is the best Queen around that I’ve seen.” Here, the paint pauses to catch her breath and laugh a little.

“Granted, I’ve never met any other Queen besides her so I’m afraid my opinion might be a little biased.” she chuckles again, finding it easy to talk about the Jungle given the short amount of time she’s lived there. “It really is a beautiful place, hot of course, but beautiful all the same. It was burned nearly to ash in the last war though but she slowly rebuilds herself and will be green and great again in time. You can join either side there, or both I think, of war or peace depending on what you’d like best.” She eyes Fayella again and considers, “You look built for war but only time will tell, you might like the pursuit of peace better - some do, you know? Any other questions?” since she talked so much and probably not about anything of vast importance that Fayella might like to really know, but she supposed she at least covered the basics and that should be enough.

Fayella observes the mare's reaction to her bow and inwardly kicks herself. Oh hulls, why did I have to go and be so awkward. I need to stop trying to impress her and just say what I really mean. Fayella had never had that much interaction with other horses besides her family, so she really had no idea what she was doing. Straightened herself, Fayella tried to relax, shaking her mane and enjoying the feeling of her knotted bi-colored curls slapping her muscular neck. Listening to Riva, she made a few mental notes. The first was that the herd was run by females. Fayella was pleased to hear this, because, being a feminist, she couldn't stand the thought of being claimed by a stallion like some sort of prize. SHE decided where to go and what to do, and no one else had any say. She valued the advice of her trusted friends when facing decisions, but ultimately, the decision was hers to make. Fayella also noted that she thought she would like Queen Lagertha. Another thing Fayella felt was important was that she could choose between peace or being a warrior. Aware of these things, Fayella addressed Riva again. "From what you tell me, I think I will fit in just fine at the jungle. I don't know if I could be a warrior or not; I've never fought before, but it depends. What does being a warrior entail?" She hoped Riva didn't think she was thick-headed for asking all these questions.

Fayella

Riva realizes that she is really starting to like this mare; what a scary thought! Only scary in that Riva doesn’t have friends, or enemies (except the monkeys in the Jungle…), or much of anything really besides Lagertha whom she counts as well… she’s not sure, she’ll come back to that thought later on. Fayella seems to have a good head on her shoulders, she listens to what Riva has to say and asks appropriate questions and that earns her more respect in Riva’s opinion.

“I think you will too,” she assures her. If only she could find more like this one, then the Jungle would flourish with new life and an influx of ideas and passions shared amongst them all. Alas, this is but a start and Riva is happy to find herself successful in her recruitment dabbles. It’s like dipping a toe in a pool really, to see if the water is too cold and finding out it is just right and satisfaction bubbles up in Riva’s dead flaky heart for the first time.Which means her heart isn’t so dead, the metaphorical one that is, since the thick meaty one beats just fine inside her narrow chest.

“Hm…” she muses, “That’s a good question since I’m not a warrior myself. Lagertha is, she’s like, the epitome of a warrior and would know more about that.” Her grin becomes more conspiratorial as she leans in closer to the vanner mare, “Don’t get me wrong, I can fight off the things that try to eat me. Not to scare you, but the Jungle is no safe haven from nature. Most of her laws are still intact there, tooth or claw, eat or be eaten you know? Not that any of us would let anything happen to you and I think you could more than hold your own against the things that live there.” She nods quite assuredly, before snatching a mouthful of grass herself.

“Sorry, I forget to take the time to eat sometimes.” Riva is rather chatty at the moment, almost companionably so… which is odd for her, nice but still odd. “I can take you there whenever you like. It’s much more interesting than this place, no offense to the Field and all but the Jungle… that’s home, and she beckons.” She throws her head up and looks off in the distance to where she knows the Jungle lies, towards a dusty footpath that is the way home and her dusty little heart sings with the tiniest note of joy.

Fayella couldn't help but enjoy the company of this slightly odd, but delightful little mare. The most fascinating thing was the way her brown eyes seemed to glitter when she looked towards her home. If Riva loved her home, could it be that it could become Fayella's home as well? Yes, she thought. I think I've found home. Fayella smiled as she looked at Riva. "To be completely honest, I think I'd rather remain peaceful, I think it'll suit me better. But yes, I always keep my guard up, and I can fend for myself," Fayella states, giving Riva a shy grin. She swishes her long, curly tail at a fly as her eyes look toward the direction Riva indicates is home. Her eyes glitter in excitement as she replies, "Sure, I'd love to see the Jungle." Her happy heart soars with joy knowing she's about to take the first leap into her new future.

Fayella

ooc: Working on a reply now but I'll post it in the Jungle so look there within an hour or less!
    ooc: Ok, great!