• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

there's a devil in my brain with a pitchfork and a flame; desirea
    The journey from the field to the beach is a relatively short one, and in no time at all they are crossing over the border of Szeth’s chosen territory. He pauses for a moment at the edge of the forest, taking the opportunity to take a deep whiff of the salty sea air. He smiles, remembering. The scent brings to remember happier times, when he and his family had still lived here. Before Skullu and Hidatsa had disappeared, and his mother had gone to live in the foul Desert.

He shakes his head slightly, trying to clear his thoughts. Now is not the day to dwell too much on the past. Today is a day of new beginnings - of the start of his very own herd in the land his father had ruled so long ago. Smiling, he turns to look at Desirea. “Well, this is it! What do you think?”

His brown eyes leave her momentarily, travelling to the small meadow and sand dunes that lie between them and the sea. He’s always found it so beautiful here, with it’s luscious greenery up near the woods, and golden sands trailing all the way down to the deep blue sea. But he’s biased of course. He’s always had a strong fondness for his childhood home. He wants Desirea’s true first impression. Hopefully she will like it as much as he does.

His eyes return to her face and he smiles once again. “Would you like a bit of a tour?” There are a few tricks to living on the Beach, and he might as well introduce her now if she is willing.
    szeth
    absolute power corrupts absolutely

The walk with Szeth had turned out to be quite pleasant. They hadn't talked much, but even so she felt comfortable in his presence. It alarmed her a little, how quickly she had come to relax around someone she hardly knew at all; but she tried not to give that too much thought.

Szeth stopped to savor the smell of the air, which had turned noticeably salty and sweet. The scent sent a wave of nostalgia and comfort through her, followed by a deep sadness. Somewhere at the edge of her mind, she could feel the fluttering of old memories still hidden by her strange case of amnesia.

Szeth turned to her and announced that they had arrived, which she was glad to hear. The little roan mare took a sweeping look around her before glancing back at Szeth with a shy smile. "I love it," she replied enthusiastically. "It's beautiful!" Already she was excited at the prospect of living in such a place, and any doubt she had previously felt at making her decision began to melt away.

He asked if she'd like a tour, and she nodded her head with wide eyes. She had half expected him to turn her loose and leave her be. She was glad he seemed ready to hang around, at least for a little while longer. Desirea was more curious about Szeth than the new home, but a tour would grant her the perfect excuse to stay by his side.

He can sense a sadness to her as she too pauses to smell the salt air, and though he is curious he does not press. The expression on her face makes him wonder if, just maybe, the smell is triggering something for her, a long lost memory from her old life. He does not pry though. If such a thing is happening, it is her right to keep to herself. He still cannot imagine how painful it would be to lose one’s memories.

But at least she seems pleased with the territory, no matter what memories it might be digging him. “I’m glad.” He smiles easily at her - her enthusiasm is infectious. He eagerly notes her agreement to the tour, and takes a few steps forward, in the direction of the beach.

They move quickly though the grassy dunes, and within moments come out upon his favourite part of the territory. Miles of golden sand stretch out in a thin line between the rolling dunes and the bright blue sea, painting a dazzling picture. “When I was young, I used to play here all the time with my parents and my sister.” He smiles wistfully, though he can’t help the touch of frown that seeps into one corner of his lips. There’s so much he would give to know where they all are now. But there’s nothing he can do about that.

“There isn’t anything good to eat or drink down here on the sand, but it’s nice to look at all the same. Nice for wading too.” His gaze swivels away from the ocean waters, and travels back up the beach. “The grasses on the dunes and in the meadows are good to eat though, and there’s a small, fresh river to the south.” He gestures vaguely in its direction. “Here, I’ll show you.”

They walk another few miles, until the rushing waters of the river are just audible, and he can see the place where the bank begins to dip down towards the river. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what made you choose Beqanna of all places?” He really hopes he’s not overstepping his boundaries. He doesn’t want to pry by delving into her old memories, but he’s also genuinely curious. Why would one come to this awful place, so full of the traited, if they had the choice to go elsewhere?

szeth

Sorry for the wait!

And with that they were off, travelling at a comfortable trot toward the ocean. Desirea was surprised to hear that this land was not new to Szeth -- she couldn't remember if he'd ever said anything about it or not.

"It's beautiful," she breathed, gazing out at the endless horizon. Here on the beach, it felt as if they were standing at the edge of the world. And who knew? Maybe they were.

In that moment, she felt home.

In no time at all they were off again, trotting along and chatting about nothing, until they reached a river. Desirea's ears twitched at Szeth's question, and she couldn't help but smile with embarrassment. She hadn't really chosen anything, really. Well, except for Szeth...

She looked squarely at the spotted stallion, feeling for the first time a flutter of shy adoration, an early affection already beginning to take root in her heart. She hadn't noticed how handsome he was, before...

Desirea shook her head and blinked hard, as if trying to clear her head. Laughing, she answered his question with feigned ease, as if it didn't bother her a bit -- though in fact, it did.

"I don't know, really," she said with a coy grin. "I just kinda... showed up here."

She looked at him again, harder this time. A strange look came over her face, and for a moment she was silent. Then, slowly, she drew closer to him. "Enough of that," she said softly. "There's something else I'd much rather do..." They were so close now that she could feel his body heat and feel his warm breath. She raised her muzzle to his ear with a sly smile, and whispered, "You're it."

With a giggle, Desirea dashed away through the sand, bucking playfully and arching her neck to look back at him with a broad grin.

ooc // No worries at all! Big Grin
    She seems just as enchanted by the place as he is, and his heart soars. There is hope for the Beach yet - perhaps, someday, the shores will be full of mares and the laughter of young children once again.

His mind drifts momentarily to Skullu and Syl. What would they think, to see him now? Would they be proud? He hopes so. He may not have done much with his life up ’til this point, but he is on the precipice - he sees great things in his future, in his family’s future. They will built a life here, all their own, far away from the blighted touch of the traited.

His thoughts are brought back to the present as Desirea tosses her head. His gaze turns to her and he can’t help the smile that grows across his lips. The coy smile on her own lips only reminds him of how pretty she is, and a heat that he does not recognize blooms in his chest. “Well, lucky for me that you did.”

She steps closer to him, so close that he can feel the heat of her breath and body. “Oh?” He barely trusts his tongue to speak as the heat in his chest begins to rage. He recognizes it now. Desire.

Her lips rise up to his ear, and he leans in, desperate to know what it is she’s interested in doing … and then suddenly she dashes away, giggling and looking back at him with a playful grin on her face!

Szeth laughs, a loud full laugh. Such a tease, but he doesn’t mind. He’ll play the game. “Well here I come!” He dashes after her, sending up gouts of golden sand in his wake. They run and run, throwing up more sand and dune grass as they play across the beach. Then, finally, he manages to catch her with a gentle nip on the hip. “Well what do we do now that I’ve caught you?”
    szeth

The world around them whirled past in streaks of bright blue and yellow-white. She could feel her heart flutter with excitement as she ran, stretching out her thin black legs as far as she could, her mane streaming out behind her in long ribbon-like waves.

He caught her and they slowed to a stop together, synchronized, easy. Her breath was heavy from the run, and her heart was pounding fast. Her eyes sparkled beneath her mussed black forelock, and she grinned at Szeth.

"I don't know," she said, still smiling at him and drawing nearer to him once again. They were close -- so close that it made her breath come a little faster. She touched him lightly on the cheek with her dark lips. "I'm sure we can think of..." Her lingering touch slid up the side of his face and down to the small indent where his head met his neck. "...something."

He laughs in elation as he races after her, sand flying in his wake. It’s been so long since he last played like this with anyone … years in fact. He’s had little opportunity for fun since the disappearance of his family.

He grins when he catches her and they finally do stop, and though his legs stop moving, his heart still feels like it’s racing.

She suddenly draws closer to him, and his breath catches momentarily in his throat. This, he abruptly realizes, is attraction.

She’s grinning at him, her lovely green-hazel eyes sparkling at him from beneath her forelock. “I …” As she reaches out to touch him lightly on the cheek (his cheek blazes in response), he briefly loses his tongue. How had he been lucky enough to run into her in the field?

But he gathers his senses quickly enough, returning the touch, and trailing his muzzle down her speckled neck. “Was there something in particular you had in mind?”
    szeth