• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

They're coming to take me away; Zayn the meanie

The little colt meanders his way into the Playground, taking in all the new sights and just enjoying being alive.  He was new to Beqanna, was Siberian.  But there was nothing that he loved better than exploring, which makes it rather ideal for the black colt.  He was rather young to be doing this alone, sure.  Barely past being weaned.  He had made travel-trips before, albeit always at the side of another family member.  But waywardness ran in his family's blood, and sooner or later he would find his way back to them with new tales to share about where he'd been, and they would swap new ones of their own in turn.  The Budyonny bounce-walks as he thinks about that, about how much fun that would be to delight his family and himself with a new round of storytelling, barely missing bumping into another foal as he does so.  With a quick apology, he continues on until he spots a deep creek flowing its way through this territory.  

He quickly makes his way to its banks with a delighted nicker and focuses inward until he feels *that* begin to happen.  Thick brown fur rapidly begins to cover his sleek black coat, while his skin and the bones beneath set to rearranging themselves (which always felt super wierd and just a bit painful, thankfully), and his hooves and tail making way for ursine replacements.  It is a little grizzly bear cub that pads down into the cold waters now, easily swimming about in the slow current.  He moves back to a shallower spot after a bit, sticking his head under the water in hopes of any fish coming close enough for him to try and catch one, as his mother had attempted teaching him to do before the wanderlust had caught up with him.  All he manages to do is splash and scare said fish away, but Siberian is not discouraged.  He is a patient sort, and has plenty of time on his furry little paws.  He will spend all day figuring out this trick if he has to.  Curving a paw, he tries once again to capture the elusive fishies.

Siberian

The sexy grizzly boy of Beqanna

He has no idea at all why he’s here.  He’s never been to the playground before, never even felt the desire to visit it.  His early childhood had been spent being pushed around and hidden away by his mother (she never wanted to let him out of her sight, let alone out of the kingdom), and after that, he’d simply been champing at the bit to prove himself and become a part of the kingdom.  The playground had never even been on his radar.

And now that he is actually here (god knows why), it only confirms that the place is a waste of time.  Little sickly foals toddle around on shaky legs, exploring and awkwardly playing with other foals.  Pointless.  

His eyes pass over a black colt and move on, scanning through the rest of the little territory.  But then in the corner of his eye, something shifts.

His red eyes wheel about and fasten themselves upon a … bear cub?  Where, moments before, an ordinary colt had been standing, is a little tiny bear.  A tiny cub that won’t stay tiny for very long.

As he stands there, watching, an idea forms in his mind.  A awfully wonderful idea.

He slips up to the colt, plastering an expression of polite interest on his face.  Bear shapeshifting, such a useful ability.  It would be quite the advantage in a battle situation …

He stops at the waters edge, smiling as he watches the cub chasing fish with its claws.  Small now, but give him a few years.  “Hello there little guy, that’s quite a trick!  How did you do that?”

And more importantly, how can he get the boy to follow him back to the Chamber?

ZAYN

I'm an ugly mess

His claws miss a bluegill by an inch, and he grumbles under his breath in true bear fashion. His next attempt is cut short by a stranger's voice addressing him, and he turns his shaggy little head to see who this might be. It's a colt, much older than he is, old enough to be on the verge of claiming "young stallion" status actually, but Siberian has always loved conversation despite the age of the other converser, and so he takes no real notice. Besides, he did know enough about Beqanna to know that this Playground area was safe for children. He couldn't possibly come to any harm here by talking to a stranger, especially since he was currently armed with teeth and claws that were still effective weapons despite his young age. He offer up a friendly though toothy grin in response to the other colt's praise, always up for a compliment.

"Hello! Oh, it's easy to do, it runs in my family. My parents taught me, ever since I was *very* little. " Siberian puffs out his furry brown chest, as if to show off how grown up he had become since that first day of lessons. "Not having much luck at catching the fish here though. I guess I'll try again later, since you're here now and it would be rude to ignore you. Have you ever met a shapeshifter before? It's pretty fun to do. My name's Siberian, by the way. " He looks the other horse over again, hopeful that he's going to have the story of a new friend to take home to his family. If he only possessed the trait of mindreading, he'd have hopped up a tree and stayed there, far out of Zayn's reach until he got bored of standing there and went away. Alas for this poor, unsuspecting boy, having not been taught the most important of lessons by his free-spirited family: not everyone is a friend.

Siberian

The boy is so deliciously naive. The colt puffs himself up at the slightest compliment, basking in a random stranger’s attention. Without any regard for caution, he speaks freely of his family and of his ability. It’s a pity, really, that his loving parents had spent so much time teaching him how to use his ability … rather than teaching him to be cautious of strangers.

“Well it’s quite impressive!” His head drops to the boy’s level, smiling indulgently. “Wish I could do something like that!” He watches as the boy turns away from the fish and paints a small, embarrassed frown on his features. “Oh, there’s no need! I will stop bothering you! I’m so sorry to take you away from your game!” As the boy continues to speak, Zayn makes as if to turn away, then pretends to be drawn in by the child’s question. And such a perfectly timed question it is. The awfully wonderful idea in Zayn’s mind begins to grow.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Siberian. I am Zayn. And I do in fact know a shapeshifter. Well, a shapeshifter of sorts. My queen uses something she calls raven magic. It’s quite marvellous really - she can use ravens to do her bidding, and even become one if she wishes.” He’s not actually completely certain that Straia can become a raven, but it would surprise him if she couldn’t. He knows the raven queen’s powers extend far beyond what he has seen. But whether or not she can is really beside the point. “You know what … I bet she would like to meet you. Such a polite, clever boy like yourself, and with such a wonderful shape shifting ability! You should come visit the Chamber!” The hook is set. Will the boy take the bait?

ZAYN

I'm an ugly mess

The bear-colt shrugs his furry shoulders, not worried about being interrupted.  "Ah, it's not a big deal.  There will always be fish to try and catch.  Plenty of other fish...in the sea.  " Siberian jokes, chuckling briefly.  He takes a step towards Zayn when the other horse makes to move away, but stops when the palomino sabino does.  He is relieved that his new friend has changed his mind about leaving, just when they had started getting acquainted.  The cub sits down in the stream as he listens, fascinated, to Zayn's story about his queen.  She sounded rather nice, to hear the older colt describe her.  And ravens?  He knew about ravens; they were one of the quieter bird species. They weren't as bossy as their larger cousins, the crows, and they were pretty, their feathers the same glossy dark shade as the color of his equine body.  

The tale of this mare being able to become a raven, well that was fascinating too.  His family's ability was entirely ursine; for many generations they had been able to shapechange, but only into the form he now wore, and no other species.  Well, except for that one crazy uncle that every family seemed to have, but didn't talk about or invite to family gatherings.  Siberian was informed that that relative had gone about annoying everyone with his badger-sized pranks.  He looks back at Zayn, having let his gaze drift along with his thoughts.  He hesitates before speaking, debating if he should head on home now or go along and visit the palomino colt's home.  In the end, though, the boy can't resist indulging his wanderlust urge.  He scrambles up out of the chilly creek water, eager to come along.

Siberian

Either the boy is an idiot, or his parents never bothered to teach him the potential danger of horses they don’t know. Or possibly both - it stands to reason that a pair of horses with a bear for a son might not think their child in any particular danger. Such false confidence.

Zayn grins as the boy only pauses to think for a moment, then scrambles out of the water to follow him. Finally, one of his plans is working. Finally, he’s getting the upperhand.

He turns away from the boy, and with a jovial “follow me,” heads in the direction of the Chamber. He keeps his pace slow, to let the boy keep up, and every once in a while glances back to make sure that the child is following.

He can’t wait to get back to the Chamber. What a nasty surprise the boy is in for …

ZAYN

I'm an ugly mess

You don't have to reply to this, I just wanted to add an official 'end' to this thread. I'll post to Sib in the Chamber next. Smile