• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you and i both know this house is haunted; anhedonia / any

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

Magnus was not immune to the allure of beauty, but he was not obsessed with it. For the most part, it was something that fell to the wayside of his thoughts—an unobtrusive pleasure he would sometimes dwell on when the afternoon sun slanted across the hills of the Gates or Minette smiled in genuine pleasure. But, for the most part, it was forgotten. It was certainly forgotten when he looked at Anhe, being more interested in the anxiety riddling her body or the kindness lurking in her gaze. He did not care whether or not she was traditionally pretty; he cared more for her mind and her soul. Those were what was important.

When she decides to take him up on his offer, his scarred lips stretch into a smile, and his gold-flecked eyes burn a little brighter. Nodding toward the others who had joined their group, he steps back, motioning toward the border. “I would be honored to show you the way.” He could not way to see the way she reacted to the peace of the Gates. It was sunny during the day, but there were plenty of trees that gathered in thick groups, their branches tangling into one another to create shade for those who sought it.

She would find a home there. He felt positive of it.

Tucking his wings closer into his sides, he led her from the group and away to the Heaven, thankful not for the first time that it was one of the closet kingdoms to the field. The journey, while not immediate, was not painfully long, and he would not tire her out with hours and hours of traveling. When they finally reached the borders of the kingdom, he stepped confidently across it, turning his handsome head her way and smiling. “This is Heaven.” He walked for several more stops, reaching a small knoll that overlooked the rest of the kingdom, the land unfolding around them before turning back to her. “What do you think?”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography

@[Anhedonia]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

She had no concept of distance. The walk from the Meadow to the Field had felt like seconds and decades simultaneously. For all she knew he had walked her to the other side of the world. She wasn't tired but her skin hurt. She'd been careful to stick to the shade as they traveled but at times it had been impossible. SHe felt cooked, her skin tight around her body.

However, most of that discomfort disappeared the moment they crested the small hillock to look down at the Gates. 

In some ways it reminded her of 'home' in the Meadow, wide areas of nothing but green dotted by inhabitants making their way from one task to another or simply chatting. The sun caught the bright reds and light purples of flowers dotting the lush grass. But the most welcoming thing of all was the myriad patches of trees interspersed all throughout what she could see of the Kingdom. For a moment...she allowed herself to think she just belong here.

"It's beautiful," she responded earnestly, though she paused when she really looked at the massive tree roping from the center of it all. "What happened to that poor tree?"

The light sound of laughter carried over on a breeze dusted past her, a smile tugging at her scarred lips at such a warm expression. Had she been prone to paranoia she might have thought the whole thing orchestrated. It was close to perfect.

"I don't have much to offer but my voice," she said, admitting her fears. She could not protect this place with her body. Quick movement, even at night, tore her fragile skin apart. But she was strong in other ways, she thought.

Anhedonia

i've grown familiar with villains that live in my head
    they beg me to write them so they'll never die when i'm dead

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

One day, Magnus would be able to bring souls back to the Gates without having to retell the story of what the Chamber had done to them. One day, the giant scarred tree would finally heal and they would finally rid themselves of the very public reminder of the attack. Today was not that day. He does not begrudge her the question though, although his expression grows a touch sad, and he merely frowns in thought for a moment, letting a silence settle between them that is both heavy and thick—ripe with things unspoken.

“We were attacked,” he finally says, his husky voice soft and low. “A while ago, but the scars remain.” His gaze lifts to find hers,  and there are bruises in his eyes—hurts that stem from guilt for not protecting the land as it should have been protected. “I wish I could tell you it will never happen again, but the truth is there is war simmering, and it could very well happen here.” Silence falls again as he watches her, ears flicking back and forth in an old habit, his military upbringing restricting him from simply relaxing.

He takes a deep breath, shifting his gaze to the kingdom around them, his heart tightening in his chest as he considers it. “I promise you, I will protect you. We are building allies and our army is not as small as it once was.” Still too small, in his opinion, but he’d take one Gates man over one hundred Chamber soldiers. “The truth is that we could use your voice. It is a valuable gift, and the Gates has been built upon the sweat and tears of talented diplomats who used their voices well for its behalf. We need help recruiting, strengthening alliances, and being what we were meant to be: a haven for those who need it.”

Concern etches his features as he looks back toward her. “Would you like to find a place to rest?”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]