• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    How to win a battle
    First of all, and most importantly, judging is very subjective. Each judge has a different way of judging, and looks for different things in a post. I know this can be annoying and horrible, so I created this guide to show you how I judge. I don't expect any other judges to use my methods. However, if they disagree/have additional advice, I hope they chime in!

1. How I Judge
    First of all, I take out a piece of paper and write each horses name on it. As I read each post, I either give a + or a - every time I see something I like or dislike. At the end of the battle I tally up who has the most "points" (a + being 1 point, a - being -1 point) and that is the winner.

2. What Do I Like?
    • Realism: If a horse can turn on a dime with zero training, while simultaneously kicking out, and then shift away before getting hit...right. Advice: Picture the fight in your head. Close your eyes and imagine the post you just read. Okay...Covet is galloping at me, feints to his left (my right)...where does that put me? Where does that put him? If he just reared in front of you, you shouldn't be able to kick out at him with your hind legs. Feel me?
    • Take a hit once in awhile! Nothing is more annoying than reading an entire battle post where no one gets hit at all ever. You're not Ronda Rousey, this isn't a 10 second fight. You're gunna get hit! Advice: Use this opportunity to show your knowledge of battle posts and anatomy. Does your opponent go to bite you? Let him! Horses are herbivores, sure they can occasionally break skin, but this isn't a dog bite. This isn't millions of bacterial injected through canines with the sole purpose of destruction! This is a 2,000 pound grass eater that prefers to run away and travels in herds. Additionally, if your opponent kicks at you, let it land somewhere less damaging.
    • Know your anatomy! My caveat with this is that it can interfere with realism. I doubt your horse knows that he's aiming for the intercostal muscles. I also doubt your horse knows which muscles aid in the forward motion of the front leg. Advice: Combine realism with anatomy knowledge. Is your horse a seasoned general? They've probably taken a hit or two before. Maybe they remember getting hit in a certain spot in a previous battle, and it really hurt. And you, as a smart horse-player, know the name of the muscle and WHY it probably works. Your horse doesn't. What if your horse has never battled, ever? Well...has your horse fallen down a ravine? Gotten bumped accidentally? Pulled a muscle? There ya go!
    3. What Do I Dislike?
    • Arguing in a post. I'm hella guilty of this in the past. It's really, really easy to get swept up in the battle. Maybe so and so powerplayed, or so and so misread your post and put you in a weird position. Part of you want to write a whole long "WELL EFF YOU TOO!"...but don't. Because the judges are probably just as annoyed as you, and they'll mark your opponent down for it. You can point out instances of power play, or anything like that, in an easy, classy way. "Covet thought he was heading straight for his opponent, but it turns out he miscalculated." or "Despite what Covet intended to do, he found himself on his back on the ground." See?
    • Writing a 5 page dissertation on your first move. An opening paragraph about what your horse looks like, the weather, his motivations - totally fine. A nice, succinct paragraph that sets the stage without being too ridiculous is fine. A 7 paragraph essay about your first move, how you plan to land every single little attack, etc. is not cool. I'll probably skip over it. Try to make things as short and sweet as possible. I understand some people allow 3 attacks per post - that's your deal. Try to keep me sane though and not write ad naseum.
    • Screwing up your anatomy. For those of you who don't know, I am a veterinarian. Part of our curriculum is memorizing every single bone, muscle, tendon, nerve, ligament, etc. on every species. This includes horses. I've spent over 4 years learning everything there is to know about every species on the planet. If you're going to talk about the stay apparatus, you better know the stay apparatus. Because I will know if you are wrong, and I'll give you a negative. Don't let this discourage you from research, just make sure you're not picking a random muscle and inventing its use.
    Kortnee
    Co-Owner
    Ajatar - Harmonia - Sunday