• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I will always find you [any]

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

He left the very moment he could, eager to be gone, eager to get back home. His nostrils missed the simple scents of the pine forest, ached to not be bombarded day in and day out. Ridiculous flowers, irritating trees, animals of all sorts, and the mares. The absolute nightmare of breeding season he had suffered through. His time spent with the Amazons was not horrible, it could have been better though, he thought with a smirk. She had not accepted any of his advances though, he would not easily give up, but he would give it a rest for now. Engelsfors was absent for an entire year, and he had not seen his sons. He did not know where they had gone, if they would return, it made him sour. He was experiencing a rotten streak of luck the past year.

He flew home, of course he did, because walking was too mundane for his return. He wanted to be back, to be back NOW. The wind obliged him, as if it too were ready for him to be back where he belonged. The trees are wonderful, filling his airways with their evergreen scent. The ravens cawed, babbled on about his entry, and he wasn't even angry. He laughed at their nonsense, sidled up to the nearest tree and commenced rubbing his length against it. He would rid himself of the Jungle, this would do until he could find some water. The needles that pricked his skin, caught his hair, they were welcome and missed additions. He had never not wanted the Chamber, he learned something though, he would not soon leave it. Fondness for the kingdom had surpassed his original realizations, having been deprived of the place for the last year, he was glad to be back. Even if his family had abandoned him, there was still some left. Straia, Erebor, even that bastard Gryffen who had knocked up his sister.

He found the ground, deciding a good roll was in order. Coating himself in the earth so as to return his natural smell, it was amusing as well, something he hadn't permitted himself in captivity. Finally satisfied with the amount of dirt on his hide, needles in his hair, he stood. He needed a good bath really.

First thing was first though, he would find Straia.

KILLDARE
    Dragon-Winged Tracker Colonel of the Chamber

i'm on the wrong side of heaven, and the righteous side of hell

Boredom was setting in again. He’d missed the excitement in the Gates, though in truth, pillaging and plundering needlessly weren’t exactly his thing. Perhaps that was a side effect of old age. If he was going to go through the effort, he wasn’t going to pick the smallest apple on the lowest branch. But it had been a show of power if nothing else, and now the other kingdoms surely knew they weren’t afraid to throw their weight around. But he’d remained behind, good sense prevailing over an opportunity to participate in a dick measuring contest. Then there had been the challenge set forth by the Tundra man, which he’d won by the skin of his teeth. Damn winged invisible penguin lover. Thankfully the General was old and well-seasoned, which had certainly been in his favor. But since then? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Now he felt stagnant, and that needed to change.

He was wandering around the borders, as he often did when he felt this way. Since the Valley had put up their flaming wall, it only made sense that intruders might find their way to his kingdom. So around he went, his eyes not only to the fronts and the sides, but to the skies as well. It was during one of those moments when his horned head was pointed upwards that a familiar bay form caught his attention. His colonel had evidently been released from the clutches of the woman kingdom, and just in time. With a grin the black stallion trotted forward, heading to the spot where he’d seen Killdare descend. He arrived in time to see the colonel climbing to his feet, clearly having just had what appeared to be a particularly good roll in his home dirt. “You still smell like a bunch of hormonal, bitchy, egotistical women.” he teased, coming to a halt before the bay. “I’m surprised…a young, strapping fellow such as yourself, that they didn’t try to keep you trapped in a cage to use for their own…purposes.” he chuckled. “But in any case, glad to see you back. The army needs to do something, don’t you think? As the second in command, I’d like to see if you have any ideas. Anything to get lazy asses in gear.” And with that he fell silent, eager to see what the colonel came up with.

warship

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

He means to seek Straia, instead Warship finds him, the black General filtering through the trees towards him. That was luck, he was the next best thing to finding the Queen, perhaps better for the questions that rested at the tip of his tongue. Not that Straia would not have answers, or good answers even. Just that the army leader may have a better understanding of where he was coming from.

Giving a good shake first, he straightens, dipping his head at the approaching General. The hardened elder sporting an impressive set of horns, he smirks looking them over. "The raid, you did not go?" He is curious, not accusing, and though he wished he could have joined- he was also glad he had not. He would address that in a moment, instead he laughs a hearty baritone. "Yes well, it appears that not all women desire the company of a man- least of all the Amazons. Some I'm not so sure I would chance the breeding." He relayed this thought with seriousness, he was to say a bit put out at her indifference to his advances. By her he meant Joscelin, but he did not share every detail- after all this was not a hen house.

"You're right, I'll not be rid of their stink soon enough. It's good to be back." A nod, though his thoughts play on his face. Killdare often was not one for heavy thought, it didn't suit him.  He was a man of action, he was, he knew he was, but for the last year he had not been. He had been left to his thoughts for a year, at first they made him uncomfortable, and while he still was not the brightest crayon-he managed a fair point now and again. " I agree, the army should do something. Warship. Why the Gates Queen? What's so special about her, what did we gain from that really?" Head turned sideways like a questioning pup, his glassy- green eyes filled with curiosity. "If someone were to invade our home, spurn us by destroying our tree, and even further to humiliate us- take our Queen? What do you think we would do about that?" A pause before he continued, such detailed thinking still new to him. "You can guarantee the Gates people are not going to let this go, they will seek help, they will seek revenge. What they will call justice, the same, in my opinion. We need to cut them off from those that would help. Take what we can of others that can help. Not some useless, traitless mare Queen." He snorted, baffled by the entire thing, they had really gained nothing when you laid the cards out.

KILLDARE

She finds them anyway, her meeting or not. Granted, everything that happens in the Chamber is her business, and she knows about it whether she chooses to show up or not. But this one seems mildly important, and like perhaps she can be useful in this discussion. So, this time, she actually shows up.

There’s no fanfare to her arrival. She simply slinks out of the trees as she always does, looking wild and beautiful and adorned with her crown of raven feathers. No wings today, no shifting. Just Straia. Busy trying to leash her dogs (a very specific dog, really), and also decide what else they should be doing.

Because they had started the fire. It would catch, eventually.

“Did you meet my cousin?” she says in way of greeting. “Rhy. More deadly than she looks. Like most of them.” she adds, chuckling, because it is both amusing to imagine Killdare surrounded by them (not that he couldn’t handle himself) and because it is true. They are formable enemies, and that is of course the interest.

“We gained a reputation. It’s been too long since Beqanna has run scared of the Chamber. Too long since diplomats stood on the border convinced they wouldn’t go home. Too long since anyone remembered we are here. The Gates is nothing, really. Their Queen is nothing. You are right. But they were the start of a fire. One we can watch burn, and help it along.”

“Fiasko is leverage. Or a pawn.” She was hope for the Gates. A tiny light at the end of the tunnel for them to strive for, and for the Chamber to crush. “Fiasko stays safe and unharmed if the Gates does nothing to harm us or try to get her back.  Or we can sell her to someone more interesting, if there’s anything for us to be gained from that action. Truthfully, I really don’t care what we do with her.”

Fiasko could be used as they saw fit. That’s the option she’s given them. If they had ideas, had a use, she’d let them do as they will. She promised Fiasko that they wouldn’t destroy the Gates completely if the mare stayed willingly, but she’s never made other promises. Hell, perhaps the Chamber would decide it was in their best interest to be benevolent rulers and return her to her home.

“No one is going to take your Queen. Now, or in the future. And if they can, or do, then she’s no fit Queen of the Chamber. Just saying.” She grins, playing. There were magicians that could poof her away, but they’d have to send her to hell to keep her away from the Chamber. She’d fight her way free of anywhere, unless it helped the Chamber for her to be captive. Possible. Unlikely. But possible.   “I rather like all this action though. What do you boys recommend?”

After all, she wasn’t calling all the shots. She was mostly just saying yes or no. Mostly yes, lets be real.

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

image © Squirt

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

some are lost in the fire

some are built from it

He leaves the jungle before Killdare, but he takes a scenic route back home. Not because he doesn't want to return; on the contrary, he wants nothing more than to be home, to be back in the Chamber again. But he knows that before he returns he needs to take stock of the situation around him. There's only so much that Straia's ravens can learn, powerful though they are.

And so he is a shadow on the edges of kingdoms, lingering in the field and the meadow, stopping to listen to the things that are said when they think no one is there to hear. He hears things about the way the other kingdoms view the raid on the Gates. He hears things about the way other kingdoms and horses view them. And he is pleased to note that when they speak of the Chamber, they usually do so with fear. But fear, he knows, is a dangerous double-edged sword: there's a sweet spot, nestled right between disrespect (where fear is not enough to command obedience) and destruction (where fear becomes so great that the only possible reaction is to attack).

He doesn't doubt that the Chamber can defend itself, but he does doubt that the Chamber can defend itself against the entirety of Beqanna without taking some serious losses in the process.

He sees Killdare ahead and tracks the man easily enough, rising into the air to more easily make his way to Killdare's eventual landing spot. It's a lovely thing, this elemental flight that his heat manipulation gives him, and terribly convenient. The fact that it could've easily allowed him to sneak into the Amazons and appear with no tracks is entirely irrelevant. They've released him, and what they don't know won't hurt them. And besides, it really hadn't been him.

He arrives and slips in beside Killdare just as the discussion is getting good – just as Killdare is raising some of the questions that have been on Erebor's own mind since the raid on the Gates had first been announced. He gives a nod to his father and to his friend, and he's about to speak, to add his own voice to the questions and try to guess at some answers, when his mother appears and he falls silent.

He knows why they'd done it. He understands when she speaks of the fire. He knows that, now, the other kingdoms think of them with fear. He just hopes that it is the right kind of fear. The kind they want – rather than the kind that could threaten to consume them.

"Poke the bear." he says without hesitation once Straia finishes speaking. He doesn't waste time with greetings or introductions, all four of them know each other. "Provoke a kingdom into being bold enough to attack us. It shouldn't be hard, depending on which kingdom we pick." He shifts his weight. "We’ve got more than enough strength to defend against any kingdom that would rise against us. While pushing around the Gates is a good way to get our name on the map, they're one of the weakest kingdoms in Beqanna, and everyone knows it." his voice is crisp, clear, military.

"I came back from the Amazons by way of the field and the meadow, trying to overhear as many conversations as possible. And while I have no special talents in this area, I did hear some interesting things." he looks at the three of them. "We need to make it clear that we are a threat to be feared by the strongest, not just a bully capable of pushing around the weakest."

He pauses for a moment. "We could attack most any kingdom we want, and we would win. But if we are too aggressive, we might push the other kingdoms into joining forces to stop us. I don't doubt our ability to fight, but against a coalition marching on us in our land, what would the cost be?" Another pause. "Instead, we can employ our diplomats, and perhaps some of our…friends in clever ways. Without too much trouble we'll be feared, dominant, but not hated enough to demand a coalition attack."

Having spoken his piece, he turns slightly to Killdare with a small, wry smile on his face. "Welcome back, by the way." his voice is low so as not to interrupt anyone who might be talking, but there is sincerity in his tones and in his smile. Killdare is a true servant of the Chamber, and probably the closest thing the boy has to a friend.

erebor

heat manipulating lord of the chamber

warship x straia

i'm on the wrong side of heaven, and the righteous side of hell

The old warrior is no diplomat, nor does he pretend to me. He doesn’t pretend to know the finer points of the kingdoms inner workings, the small things that make the machine run smoothly. His mother had tried to teach him, but typical of most youth, he’d disregarded much of what she had to say. She had been a wonderful diplomat, blessed with stunning good looks and a sharp tongue to match. Where she had excelled in the world of cleverness and cunning, he had shown his aptitude for battle. Talking was not his strong suit. If it couldn’t be said with a well-placed kick or bite, then chances were he wasn’t going to talk about it overly much.

But now here he stood, embroiled in a conversation that was possibly beyond his depth. His greatest goal was the Chambers prosperity though, so he listened intently. Of course he understood the need to show off a bit, to throw their muscle around in tight quarters. By all accounts they had done not only that, but came out the other side swinging. While he agreed that there was nothing wrong with a little posturing, a proverbial banging of the chest…but they needed to be careful. A little was a perfect show of their might, but too much and they risked the wrath of multiple kingdoms.

The old warrior cocked a hind leg, relaxing as the gathering spoke around him. For the moment he was content to listen, an eyebrow tilted upwards ever so slightly. His son joined the gathering, and Warship gave him a brief nod of his head. Thankfully, the boy seemed to have garnered the best from both of his parents, being both a successful diplomat and soldier. Finally the boy halted his words, as Warship mulled over all that had been said. So many good and fair points- he had little to add. But, a recent conversation in the meadow popped into his head. Not so much a conversation, but a reaction. “What a fine line to walk. Too many straws will soon break the camels back. We must be careful to add our straws carefully, and slowly.” he said, almost absent-mindedly. “But if there were to be a war, we should try our damndest to bring the fight to us. While I’m not keen on having our kingdom burnt to the ground, our soldiers are comfortable fighting here, amongst the pines and the cliff facings. The other kingdoms, particularly the Deserts or the Amazons, would present challenges for them.” The stifling heat of either place would sap them dry in a minute, though perhaps…“Though perhaps there is a way to train for that. We mock, while Erebor boils us. We mock in the thickest, most tangled part of the forest. We mock along the stream banks, towards the Volcanic Village.” he said, a grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. He wasn’t a diplomat, but he sure as hell was a General.

warship

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

Just when he's finished their Queen makes an entrance. She always did have a way with popping up at the most opportune time. His head bends at her arrival, "Straia", the Chamber Queen looking much the same as she had a year ago. As she does so often she provides words of wisdom on the matters she catches wind of. Steal her, no certainly not, he doubted anyone could come and take their Queen without a good fight. "Of course they wouldn't take you, I do wonder what is left of the Gates to bargain for? Gryffen's certainly made a good sheath for his sword with the prize. I do not put it past them to try to rally others in their cause." He stands staring at the ground for a time, so much thinking was hurting his head, go figure.

In the thick of things Erebor enters the clearing, pushing a smile to Killdare's lips. "Ah, well met again my Lord." However unplanned Erebor's short visit to the Jungle was, it was just the thing to lift Killdare's spirits. They each had sound statements on the matter, so he offered what he had as far as information went. "The Jungle's taken allegiance with both the Dale and the Falls. That means they'll have that healing pool available for use." That healing pool because he had only heard of it in passing, he didn't know the details of its stipulations. It would be useful if they could get to it in the heat of battle, or after. "Of the Dale people, their King is young but well liked. Many of his herd were quick to respond to the Jungle's visit, I believe there is more to them than meets the eye. Many of them smell of it at least." He had done his best to discreetly scent them, even the odd old man they harbored.

"I do wonder what kind of a hold the Jungle holds with the Falls. The ties that bind between the Dale and Jungle I do not see being easily broken." He's really said his piece. Though he thought that without further expansion of their respect, they risk becoming a one hit wonder. Flexing against the wrong kingdom, pushing too far, that also had an undesirable outcome. Warship suggests they mock, which wouldn't hurt them any, gods knew they could all only gain from training. He himself had a fair bit of climate adjustment to his skin from the last year, he thought it a good idea for the others to experience some conditioning. A good idea for him to further his own adjustments to the element. "Of course, nothing to lose by some good old fashioned conditioning." He said with a grin.

KILLDARE

i am the violence in the pouring rain

i am a hurricane

They are all (somewhat unshockingly, as they all serve the Chamber first) in agreement. To place straws carefully, to be powerful without bringing all of Beqanna to their door. There’s a reason that Gryffen doesn’t always get his way. If it were up to him, they’d be knocking on the Amazon’s door already. But Warship is right, of course. The heat there would be awful, though he has a good solution for it, and Straia nods. There’s a reason he’s the General, after all. “Erebor, if it came to it, could you cool a kingdom down?”

He can add heat, so maybe he could remove it. It would be a lot, and take a lot of concentration she imagines. In the end, it might not be the best use of his time. She’d rather have him fighting than standing off to the side. But if they needed it, she was curious if it was an option. A backup plan.

“The Gates is already trying to rally some help. The Amazons did not seem likely to give it, though Mast is in the Deserts currently. We’ll stay ahead of it. If they rally Beqanna to their side, I have no problem playing benevolent and returning Fiasko long before they get here.” She wouldn’t risk their kingdom to keep a hostage that they did not need. But Fiasko, with her good soul, was off in the Gates to tell them to leave the Chamber alone. Perhaps that would be all they needed to end this little issue, at least for a while.

Killdare tells them of what he’s learned while in the Jungle, and she smiles and nods. It’s always good to get information from everywhere. The ravens knew a lot, but even they missed things. And certainly, they could not garner feelings and opinions the same way a horse could. “Glad to see a year in the Amazons was productive,” she says with a grin, though really, she is glad to have Killdare back. He is one of the Chamber, and while she won’t start a war over a valid steal, she would have burned down the Amazons if they had tried to keep either Killdare or Erebor.

She turns back to Erebor, and then adds, “Do you have an idea for our diplomats, though I’d point we really don’t have any of those,” she says with a slight chuckle. Though it was true. They were sorely lacking for diplomats these days. “And our, friends, as you say?” Weed was already out there, sewing discord among the other kingdoms. But there was likely more they could do, and she was certainly open to all the ideas.

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

He waits for his companions to speak and when they do not he realizes that it is up to him. Well, that was unfortunate, he wasn't exactly the brains of the operation. Still, perhaps he had initiated the conversation and so should be expected to carry on with it.

"Well, you can bet they will seek aid with the Falls. That goes without saying, unfortunately for them the Falls has grown just as deserted as the Gates. Maybe they too  have earned a visit." He flicks his tail, wishing for a spark of genius to flood him. Really, he thought they should have commenced with a hostile take over if they were going to steal the Queen away. "Sooner or later, we are going to need to do something about the Jungle. The Amazons grow bold under their new Queen, their ties with the Dale are concerning." He doesn't know why exactly that is. The Dale had not displayed any magic whatsoever, had not advertised any inclination to take a direct dislike to him on behalf of their alliances together. Still, it did not sit well with him.

They needed to turn the tide, to sway the scale in one direction or another. As of now it seemed there had been a balance created, and it did nothing to show their power. "How are our aliiances with the Valley holding? What of the Deserts? Gaining the Deserts would turn the tables in our favor." Maybe once that would have rang true. Sadly, Killdare had not bothered to keep up with the current state of all the kingdoms. He was not aware just how desolate they were all becoming. That had always been Engels job, to parlay with the other realms. To make nice with her wit and words. Where had she gone? Where had she taken his sons? Every day he asked himself and every day he felt himself growing darker, heavier with the burden of not knowing. Maybe that was why he would soon find himself father to not only his sons, but to a daughter.

"Has the Gates fealty been truly promised? How much do they love that Queen of their's? Her children?" He asks out loud but thinks on these things off handed. "The tree is growing nicely is it not my Queen?" Though they are not currently near the entity, his eyes turn in its direction adding to the hint on his breath. 

KILLDARE

>_> sorry Call is not good with ideas. I dont know where everyone is heading with their ponies so its hard to come up with diabolical plans