• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

all I want is one more chance; sette
    All I want is one more chance to be young and wild and free
    She’s been keeping to herself lately.

It’s been tough for her, since her parents deaths.  Scorch and Hestoni had been her whole world - every day had, in some way, revolved around her parents.  They had played with her, laughed with her, cuddled with her … loved her.  And even though she might not have been good at showing it (spending many of her days trying to sneak off to play with Sette), she had loved them dearly too.  And now they're gone.

She's not really sure what to do with herself any more.  She’s been avoiding Sette, trying to sort through her own pain.  But she knows she can’t keep doing that forever.  She’d promised Sette that she’d always been her friend - she can’t shut her out for ever.  

For the first time in a long time she ventures out into the main part of the kingdom, where the sisters go about the hustle and bustle of jungle life.  She doesn’t see Sette anywhere, but she’s not surprised.  Sette is a princess, and the Khaleesi trains her and takes her to visit the other kingdoms.  

She has a sudden thought and her expression droops.  She’d missed out on Sette’s trip to the Dale.  Crap.  She’d wanted to visit a place outside of the Jungle … but she’s been so distracted lately …

Sighing, she leans against the bark of an old kopok tree.  Sette will be along eventually.  She’ll just have to wait.

Spring is passing by. The tendrils of leaves on the vines have exploded into flowers, some deadly, but all beautiful. The heat is slowly rising, promising a humid summer to come. I smile wistfully whenever I spot a capybara family in the Jungle. It makes me think of Vi and our grand rescue. Our carefree childhood days of playing and causing trouble slipped away in one mournful afternoon.

I know why she is reclusive, and though it hurts, I do not push my company on her. Mother explained that Vi's mama and papa have died. Sometimes horses need time to grieve before they can rejoin the world. I know this, although I struggle to understand it at my age. Yet, I miss my friend.

I fill my days with greeting newcomers and shadowing the Khaleesi and her advisors for information, and my nights sleeping curled up near my mother, grateful for her presence for as long as I have it. I feel a sharp ache of guilt in my chest some nights, knowing that my mother is alive and well, and Vi is alone.

My mind and heart are full of these thoughts as I walk the jungle. And so it seems perfectly natural, almost as if I have conjured her, to find Vi leaning against a fat kapok tree. My heart rushes into my throat and my brown eyes light up.

"Vi!" I say eagerly, my voice filled with joy. I move forwards, close enough to touch before I remember the reason for the mournful look in her face. "Oh, Vi. I'm so sorry." I murmur softly, reaching out to run my muzzle along her shoulder. "I know it isn't the same at all as-as having your mother and father, but I will be your family, too. You aren't alone."

I had missed her company dreadfully, and an idea begins to grow, one I think might help Vi feel better. I wait, just standing near her and doing my best to comfort my bereaved sister.

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

I am iron and I forge myself

Does she feel a little guilty that Scorch died and left her infant daughter (sans twin - so who even knows what the fuck is going on there) alone, to be raised in the Jungle? Yes. Has it slipped her mind with the bajillion and one things she’s had on her place? Yes. Sette, however, is proving to be a good investment (for lack of a better word), and has often spoken about the girl at night. She never meant to leave the filly alone - and if anyone knows what it’s like to grow up without a real mother, it’s Lagertha. Abel was a teacher, not a mother.

She isn’t good at the comfort thing. I mean she really, really isn’t good at it. Just ask Ea.

Maybe she can still help - maybe she can prevent the girl from resenting her for the rest of her life. Lagertha is aware of most of Sette’s hangouts, and after checking the a spot by the river, and then a spot in the large clearing, she finds the two roan yearlings by a grove of kapok trees. She’s always like those trees; they reminded her that they were not as important as they thought they were, and that life will continue on when they are dust and bones (which could be a very long time for the immortals). She wants this to be… friendly, personal. Lagertha nickers a loud greeting to the two, pausing just inside hearing range, with one of those rare smiles on her face. She’ll leave if she isn’t wanted.

Lagertha

warrior queen of the amazons

It’s as if Sette had known to expect her.

Her young friend appears within moments of her coat touching the smooth bark. She stands back up, and despite the sadness inside, cannot help but smile. In her isolation, she’s missed her friend. It’s so good to see her again.

The roan reaches out and Vi leans into the touch, glad for some connection. “It’s ok Sette. And thank you, I appreciate it.” And she does. For all intents and purposes, Sette is all she has left. She hasn’t seen Sarkis in months, and she’s never even met the rest of her family. Sette is it.

“How’ve you been? It’s … it’s been a while.” She feels ashamed for having avoided her for so long, but at least Sette seems to understand. The girl is a true friend. "I'm really sorry about ... well, disappearing on you."

A close-by nicker catches her attention and she looks up, startled. The Khaleesi? She bows her head respectfully and takes an awkward half-step back. She’s never met the mare before and isn’t really sure how to react. She knows her mother hadn’t been terribly found of Lagertha, but Vi is not Scorch - she does not have the same history or misgivings. Besides, Lagertha is Sette’s mother. She can’t be that bad, right?

“Hello Khaleesi.” She wonders briefly why the mare is here, then quashes that thought. Lagertha must want Sette for something, duuh. She just hopes that it’s something that can be postponed - she still wants the chance to catch up.

Sorry for the wait and the crappiness. D:

I am grateful for Vi's touch, and a relieved, pleased smile washes over my features. I know everything is not all right (can it ever be, when family is lost?) but I hope that my friend's opening up is a sign that things can get better.

I shake my head. I would blush if I could. "Oh no, Vi. Don't apologize! It's okay. I thought you might need time for yourself, and I didn't know quite what to say. I'm sorry for that." I nuzzle her shoulder, and answer her second question. "I've been all right. I met the captive stallion Joscelin beat up and he was nice. And mother took me to the Dale to visit, and there have been several new Sisters join who are very interesting. I've been busy."

I grin at that. Busy is what I like best.

Hoofbeats catch my ear and I turn. For me, my mother's presence can never be an intrusion. Though I love the company of so many, her companionship is the most precious to me followed closely by Vi's. These two are those I love the best and my heart fills with warmth as the familiar iron gray figure approaches my friend and I. I nicker a soft welcome, and nudge Vi gently, teasingly.

"My mother's only half as scary as she looks, Vi. And as long as you don't tell tales on us I think she'll be friendly company."

I grin, my eyes mischievous.

Anguisette
    the changeling jungle princess

I am iron and I forge myself

Khaleesi may be her official title, but Lagertha wants to be the kind of Queen that her sisters - not subjects, sisters - can call by her name. One whom they trust and love enough to do away with formality. Not to mention, it just doesn’t sit right with her that Scorch’s kid looks and feels awkward around her. “You don’t have to call me that, Lagertha is just fine.” Sette wove back and forth between Mama and Khaleesi, depending on the situation, and she didn’t really care what the girl called her when. But respect can be shown in other ways.

The gunmetal gray mare chuckles quietly at Sette’s words. Yes, she could be friendly company, but seeing Vi’s reaction made her change her mind about staying around. “Don’t worry, I’m not staying. I just wanted to let you know, Vi, that if you need anything, or want to do something for the Jungle, all you have to do is ask.”  She shrugs, rolling her shoulders in a ‘do what you will’ way. “I’m not the best cuddler, but I listen well. And keeping busy can help, sometimes.”  She would be comfortable sending the two girls to a friendly kingdom soon enough. She nods decisively and goes to leave, calling out behind her, “I heard there were some baby orange-furred monkeys around. They’re by the big anthill, west of the clearing. In case you’re interested.”

Lagertha

warrior queen of the amazons

[tins! i have an idea. how would you feel about vi going with sette to the Valley? could be more fun for both of them that way. If not, no worries Smile ]
    Sette is such a good friend. She gushes, assuring Vi that she doesn’t need to apologize, and while she does still feel guilty in some capacity, she feels a little better. At least Sette understands.

Her ears perk as Sette continues, talking about her own recent experiences. Clearly Vi has missed a lot during the time she spent isolated, and she says as much. “I’ve missed so much.” She wonders what her mother would think. Strong, emotional, opinionated Scorch. Would she be disappointed in her daughter’s weakness?

“What was the Dale like?” She had asked Sette if she could join that trip. She feels guilty that she’d missed it, but Sette doesn’t seem angry. Once again, the roan girl is showing what a good friend she is.

Vi’s eyes return to the Khaleesi, and she smiles uncertainly as Sette tries to reassure her that her mother is friendly. She doesn't know Lagertha well enough to agree with Scorch’s opinion of her, but she still feels nervous and awkward.

The Khaleesi’s next words do make her smile ease a little though. “Thank you … Lagertha.” The name feels awkward in her mouth. “I … actually I wouldn’t mind having something to do for the Jungle.” At the very least it would give her a purpose, it would give her something to do. And that way she could do something for the kingdom that her mother had cared so much about. She’s not so sure about sharing her feelings with Lagertha though. She’ll stick with Sette for that.

“Oh!” Her ears perk again at the mention of baby monkeys. Now those sound cuuuuuute. “You wanna go have a look, Sette?”