• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Looking Lonely
    A young mare trots around, enjoying the view. She was just out of heat, and wondering when she will find her own mate. In her two years of searching, three seasons a year, she hadn't found anyone. She was getting into her early prime, and raised her curved neck to neigh shrilly as she came to a stop. A herd was nearby, but she paid no heed to them. They all had mates, as far as she could smell. She snorts and grazes, alone, so alone.

I love the way that your heart breaks
    with every injustice and deadly fate.

He is bored today. And so he does what he always does when he is bored. He wanders, allowing his feet to carry him where they will. Borders have little sway over him, he neither knows nor cares which lands he trespasses upon. But today, as it happens, his feet carry him to the meadow.

He is a fearsome thing to behold. He had been reborn in fire. He would forever carry a piece of that fire with him, to wear as a second skin. His first skin had charred, burned away like so much chaff. Without that fiery skin, he is a hideous sight. Blackened skin with craters in his flesh and more scars than one would care to count. But the flame has made him something else entirely. Only time would truly reveal all aspects.

He sees the girl immediately, bland gray gaze latching upon her. His charred lips twist into a grimace, but he approaches. Her words draw him like nothing else could. He is a glutton for misery, after all. When he halts before her, he simply stares at her several long moments. It is an unnerving stare, though not entirely intentional. When he finally does speak, it is with a raspy voice, a voice ravaged by fire. ”Aren’t we all alone, in the end?”

Raelynx

khaos x eyrie

html c insane | picture c naelii.deviantart.com
    "We are, often. But, on also often exception, we escape that loneliness before our fate reaches us." I say, looking at him without prejudice. "Where fire and flesh meet, flesh rebirthed in fire. You contain a spark, do you not?" I ask, going by observations.

Raelynx has never been much of a philosopher. Oh, a bit, here and there, on occasion. Mostly when he considered the mercy of pain. Pain is life, after all. Of all creatures, he should know. But so many others, they deny it. Deny it with a fervency that astounds him. Would she be one of those?

She comments on his fiery skin then. He had been reborn in flame, but he carries so much more than a spark. Just as his skin had caught on fire in His lair, it would remain lit forever more. A skin of fire rather than of fur. Reminding him eternally of his damnation.

”Hmmmm,” the words slips from his throat on a raspy breath. ”Perhaps, if you are so unlucky.”

He steps forward, stretching his neck forward so that his fiery muzzle hovers inches above her shoulder. ”Does the flame frighten you?”

Raelynx

khaos x eyrie

AS he puts his muzzle close to me, I do not move away. Fear is weakness, and weakness cannot be afforded in this moment. "It does not. I have no fear, scent if you want the truth. I am calm, I know fire and pain as well." I say, offering a part of my horrible past.

Oh, but the fire, the pain, it is glorious. He had been remade, and he had relished every second of his remaking. Even as his skin had peeled away, even as his muscle had sizzled and burned, he had shuddered in the perfect beauty of it all, enjoying the way his flesh had given way beneath the flame.

Could she truly understand this? Oh, what a delight it would be, to find another who saw the world as he did.

He smiles then, a gruesome smile that stretches cracked lips. And suddenly, the fire surrounding him dies. No flame licks his skin, leaving only mutilated, charred flesh in its place. Would she enjoy the monster beneath the flame quite so much?

”Do you really?” The raspy words contain a hint of curiosity as his bland gaze finds hers, muzzle still hovering over her perfectly unmarked flesh.

Raelynx

khaos x eyrie

"Yes. It doesn't look the way it used to, and I am thankful for that. My tail and right hind leg had been burned when I was a yearling. I was cast out by my sire with a 'Even if you heal, you'll be a curse to my family!' and a kick. I couldn't go near still water until recently, for fear of what I might look like. You see, I know it, too." I say at a moderato tempo, wanting him to hear each piece of this gruesome past of mine. I knew and know pain, I thought. He can never understand my type of pain. I thought. I put my muzzle against his. "I do not care about the surface. It is deeper, your soul, which I see. I care not about coats."

This mare has had misfortune abundant. It is to her further misfortune that he had stumbled upon her. Fate has not been kind to him, and he has basked in that unkind fate. He had turned destiny into his favor, made the pain his very own. What others might consider torment, he considers ecstasy.

And the flames. Oh, but they had been brilliant. A searing agony that had burned straight through to his soul as he reeled in drunken pleasure. His soul is a twisted thing, blackened by the cruel hands of fate.

But she says she knows, she understands. And he latches onto that like a drowning man. So few understand. His insipid gaze lingers upon her, wondering if it could possibly true, and so he tests her. With little warning, his muzzle descends upon her shoulder, teeth snapping over the flawless skin there. It is not intended to be a gentle nip, but rather a harsh and unforgiving bite. A bite designed to bruise and abrade flesh.

Does she truly understand?

Raelynx

khaos x eyrie

I sense he is testing me with the bite to my shoulder, and do not I flinch. "What I say is true, stallion. It is a sad thing that you do not believe me. Or is trusting your weakness? I saw it in your eyes when I told you of my misfortune. You are drowning in pain, but you relish pain even as you are drawn into the fate of a drowning man. Is it that I am the water which quenches your fire? I care not for pretty coats, this bruise will turn to scar, and I will see it as your test of my understanding. I am not like the others you have met, am I? I knew pain and fire, but came back beautiful. Yet it is not youth or prettiness that I seek of a mate; it is indeed somebody to relate to in past and in future or fate." I say, testing him in return.

She does not flinch from his teeth. That in and of itself is surprising. But as he stares into her gaze, dull gray eyes searching, he finds no pleasure there either. And that is distinctly disappointing.

She speaks then, challenging him with her words. He has never been much of one for flowery speech. He cares very little about beauty. Even before he had been scorched by flame, he had not been handsome. His coat had been scraggly and rough, his tresses thick and tangled. Perhaps one day he might have laid claim to beauty, once his coat had turned to white and his scrawny frame had filled out (he would know, he had seen a version of his future self, and he had been devastatingly beautiful). But now? Now he would never be. Certainly his frame might grow and fill out (for he is still not yet two years old), but it would simply serve to make him a larger monster.

But he would not trade his flame for the world. It is a daily reminder of a beautiful torment, and it had become a part of him. He wears his flame with pride.

When she shows no reaction to his bite, he smiles. And once again the flame bursts from his skin to cover his large frame. He does not remove his now fiery muzzle from her shoulder, not realizing that the flame would singe her skin. Not that he would have reacted differently had he known. The flame has become a part of him, and as such, should he decide to keep her around, she should know the glory of its touch.

”And does pain speak to you? For many it does not. This I have never understood. Pain is life. It is so very simple.”

Raelynx

khaos x eyrie