• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

oh my heart, it's a fish out of water; any
    It is, as usual, a busy morning in the Jungle.  

The macaws and howler monkeys are out in full force, creating a cacophony of sound that’s making it impossible for Vi to sleep.  She sneaks away from her mother’s sleeping form, slipping into the busy clearing that makes up the centre of the kingdom.  As much as she loves her mother, she needs to get away sometimes - they can’t escape the fact that there’s something missing from their lives.  

Volcan.  She still can’t completely understand what happened.  She still remembers that heartbeat, so she believes Scorch when she says that she was supposed to have a twin.  But … where had Volcan gone?  How could he or she disappeared without leaving even the slightest trace?

As young as she is, these questions are a little hard for her to even fully comprehend.  But they are a part of her life, and so they still make an impact.  Of course, she does not feel the loss as keenly as her mother does, but she still feels the hole.  She takes her distractions when she can though, trying to fill up that space where her sibling should have been.

On this particular morning she’s spotted a young capybara, surprisingly far from the river where its natural habitat lies.  She watches with interest as it runs around, making odd little barking noises.  Perhaps it’s lost?  She takes a step closer to it, but it backs away, still barking.  “Are you lost?”  Not that it has any idea what she’s saying.

I know about losing family and I know about gaining them. In such a short expanse of time I have lost maman and my father and my birth home, and gained my mother and the Sisters and the jungle. There is a blessing in being so young, because I can be so fully focused on the now. Daily my past life fades and my eyes are filled with the bright green of my new world. An ache rests in my soul for the separation from the one who bore me, my lovely and charming maman, but it is being soothed by the possibilities ahead of me as my mother's daughter.

And she is perfect. My first sight of her, with horns held high and eyes of steel and warmth, won me over in a heartbeat. She is protective but she does not smother me, and I feel freer than I ever have before. I know little of what she does, only that she is called Khaleesi and the Sisters listen to her (like I am supposed to but don't always manage).

I feel like a queen in her kingdom, confident and carefree, as if the entire jungle exists as my playground. I am not aware of politics or tensions or anything other than the moment I am in. But still, I am a little lonely at times. There are not many other children.

The bark of a capybara catches my attention and I leave my mother's side to investigate. I have seen many of the little pig like creatures while searching for the jungle's spirit, and they are endlessly amusing. This one seems to be running about in circles, watched by a filly. I halt in surprise, unused to seeing anyone who is my size, and then begin to chatter.

"Oh! Hello. Those little things are rather funny, aren't they? Perhaps it is looking for its mother or something to eat." I move closer to the filly, my smoky black form revealed from the foliage and an interested grin on my face. "I'm Anguisette although nearly everyone calls me Sette. Who are you?"

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

The little capybara keeps running in circles, barking its head off in obvious fright. She’s wondering whether or not she should try to lead it back to the river where the rest of its kin must be, when an unfamiliar voice floats out of the foliage.

Vi’s head pops up, immediately curious. Her dark ears swivel forward as a black head pops out of the bushes. She’s kind of excited when she realizes that it’s someone her age, and a girl! The filly comments on the capybara, and Vi’s eyes glance at it before returning to the girl’s face. “I think it’s lost. Do yah think we should help it find it’s way home?”

The girl introduces herself, and Vi smiles. “Nice to meet yah Sette!” She likes the shorter version of the girl’s name much better - Anguisette seems like a terribly long name. It would get tiring having to say that all the time. “I’m Vi.” Her nostrils twitch, picking up the girl’s scent. While she does smell a little bit of the Jungle, she also smells a little bit of something else … or rather, somewhere else. Her dark head cocks to the side. “Are you from somewhere else? You smell … different.” She kind of hopes she's wrong, and that the girl lives here and just ended up falling in something stinky. It’s been terribly lonely hanging out with only her mother for company. It would be nice to have a friend.

The capybara seems more distressed by the minute. I tilt my ears in concern. Maybe it needs to eat? What in the world do these little squealing things eat? Mother would know. I am convinced she knows everything. Or at least everything worth knowing.

"Oh yes!" I say eagerly, pawing the ground excitedly, and eyeing the little creature with sympathy. "That is, if you know where he lives? I don't know the Jungle very well yet myself."

After all, I have heard there is a hippo and crocodiles and all kinds of amazing animals. It wouldn't be very nice if I led the other filly and the young capybara into the jaws of a predator!

"Hello Vi!" I pause then, uncertain. Mother has told me not to tell anyone where I used to live. She says it is safer. I wonder what harm it would do to tell Vi that I once had a different maman. I swish my tail, hesitant, and then speak steadily. "No. The Jungle is my home. Lagertha, the Khaleesi, is my mother."

The lie does not roll off my tongue easily. (although I do not consider the second and third statement to be lies.) The Jungle is my home and Lagertha is my mother. But I am from somewhere else. I don't like lying, but I don't want to disobey.

I brighten, smiling with curiosity. "Who is your mama? Would she let you play with me and explore? I've been hoping for a girl friend!"

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

Vi’s shy smile evolves into a wide grin when Sette agrees to help her find the capybara’s home.  “I think they’re down by the river.  At least I’ve seen them before.”  She’d been there with her mother once, when Scorch had been showing her around the Jungle and teaching her how to be safe in the wild kingdom.  There’d been a whole family of capybaras there then.

Her ears perk in interest when Sette mentions her mother’s name.  “Oh!”  She’s heard of Lagertha.  And if she’s Lagertha’s daughter Sette must be the princess.  It must be very interesting to be a princess.  Vi was almost a princess herself.  “My mother’s name is Scorch.  She used to be the Khaleesi.”  She’s not really completely sure what being a Khaleesi entails though, other than that it’s important.  “I think she’d be ok with me playing with you.”  She doesn’t see why her mother would mind.  The old mare probably needs a break after all - Vi is painfully aware of her mother’s limited energy and failing health.  And Vi needs more company than her mother and father.  “I’d like a friend too!”

Her attention returns to the barking capybara.  “I think the river is that way …”  She indicates the foliage behind the capybara with her nose (she’s like 80% certain that it’s the right way … that’s enough right?).  “But how do we get it to follow us?”  The thing is clearly terrified - it won’t be likely to trust them.  And it’s probably too scared to be tempted by things like food.  Hopefully Sette will have an idea.

The poor thing seems so frightened, I don't want to make it worse by scaring it towards the river. Besides, in that state it would be just as likely to run into the teeth of the jaguar or a crocodile. I shudder a little at that. Mother has told me about avoiding and being aware of the jungle predators, and so far I haven't seen much of them. I don't relish a meeting with something intent on eating the capybara or me.

"Um." I say a little blankly, looking with concern at the cowering creature. "Maybe if we make ourselves smaller and just talk quietly it will grow used to us and be more trusting and we can gently herd it to the river?"

I lie down, a bit gracelessly, as the capybara eyes me with distrust. "It's okay, little one," I croon softly, thinking of the way my mother calms me when I am afraid. "We are friends, Vi and me. We want to help. So how about we just settle down together and then maybe go find your family?"

I know it can't understand me, but I hope that the soft cadence of my voice will help it relax. I look at Vi with a smile, indicating that she should join me on the jungle floor.

"I think if we just stay still and talk quietly, it will be okay. Do you have any brothers or sisters, Vi?"

I don't have any, and I have often wondered if it would be fun to have a constant playmate.

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

Vi is glad that Sette seems to be just as worried about the little capybara as she is. It’s nice to think that she might have found a kindred spirit in this little roan filly. Maybe they can become friends … maybe even good friends. That thought makes her quite happy.

Her head cocks to the side at Sette’s suggestion, but she complies immediately. “Ok!” She lies down awkwardly beside Sette. It’s a good idea. She hadn’t thought of it before, but they probably look very big to the tiny little capybara. She’s never really thought of herself as big compared to anyone before - they must look very scary.

She listens in interest as Sette talks to the capybara in a low, crooning voice. Much to her surprise, it begins to work almost immediately. The capybara is still scared of course, but its circles grow less frantic and its barks grow less frequent. Vi decides to lend her own voice to try and calm the creature down. “It’s ok little capybara. We want to help I promise.”

Her brown eyes turn to look at Sette as the girl asks about her family, and an enthusiastic smile grows on her face. “Oh yes, I have lots of brothers and sisters! My sisters are called Noori and Kaida and Ea and Wrynn and Sarkis! And my brothers are called Simeon and Shahrizai and Leiland!” Not that she’s met them all of course. So far she’s only met Sarkis - all the rest of her siblings live outside of the Amazons. “And then there’s Volcan, but we don’t know if Volcan is a boy or girl.” Her eyes drop and she can’t keep the sad note out of her voice. She hopes her twin is ok, wherever they are. She hopes they get to meet some day.

But her voice brightens again and her eyes return to Sette’s face. “What about you? Do you have any brothers or sisters?”
    vi
    the tenth child

I am overjoyed that my idea is working. It is all I can do to keep from jumping up and dancing with excitement. My body hums with energy. I do not know if it is because I am so young, or if it is just the way I am, but emotions are not easily hidden on my features. If I am sad, I am despondent from head to toe and if I am happy, I am ecstatic.

I do not know it, but I get this from my birth mother. Everything she or I feels is expressed in our bright brown eyes.

But I am not thinking of her. In fact, as the days and seasons pass, she is but a distant memory in my mind. It is what she wanted in order to keep me safe. Instead I am pondering how you could not know whether your sibling was a brother or sister. I am puzzled, but I cannot think of the right way to ask so I bury the information, saving it for some other time. Vi has a lot of siblings!

"No. I sigh a little wistfully. I'm not jealous, now that I have Vi, and anyways, I think I wouldn't like to share mama's attention. She's already so busy. "It's just me and mama. But that's all right. She's great fun!"

I puff up my chest a bit, feeling very important. "She's going to take me to visit one of the other kingdoms! Have you ever been outside the jungle?"

I look over at the capybara. He is sitting, a rather funny sight, and watching Vi and I warily. He doesn't seem as terrified as he was.

"I think he's almost ready, Vi!" I whisper, my eyes shining.

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

All I want is one more chance to be young and wild and free
    She’s vibrating with excitement as the capybara starts to show even more obvious signs of calming down. It’s actually working!! But she has to keep calm, has to keep still. It would be all for nothing if she scared off the poor capybara now.

So she makes sure not to look at it, and concentrates hard on what Sette is saying to her (even though she desperately wants to check on the capybara). “Ohh does your Mommy play with you?” Her voice takes on a wistful note, similar to the one in Sette’s sigh moments before. “I wish my Mommy would play with me more. But she’s usually too tired, or more interested in looking for Volcan.” And as much as she wants to find Volcan too, she wishes Scorch could play with her just a little more often. “Daddy plays with me sometimes though.” But lately he’s been getting tired too.

Sette says that Lagertha is going to take her to one of the other kingdoms and Vi feels a tiny flash of jealousy. She’s only been to one other kingdom and it hardly counts - she was so young then that she barely remembers it. She only really remembers the trip home with Tantalize. “I was born in the Falls but I don’t really remember it.” She does remember being scared though too. And lots of red. But the kingdom itself? Nothing. “Where are you going?” Her eyes are alight with interest. She knows so little about the outside world. “Do you think … maybe … I could come to?” She’s never met Lagertha, and has no idea whether she’d mind a tag-along, but it can’t hurt to ask right?

Sette suddenly glances at the capybara, and Vi’s eyes can’t help but follow. Sette is right, the tiny capybara seems to have settled right down! “I think you’re right. But what do we do now? I don’t want to scare him.”

I cock my head, thinking.
    "Mama teaches me things and she plays with me. I don't have a daddy, though." I wonder at that, sometimes, but it isn't enough of a factor in my life to bother me. All I know are the Sisters and they are both mother and father to me. Sympathy overcomes me at my friend's forlorn words and I stretch my neck over and nibble Vi's gently. I smile earnestly. "I'll always play with you Vi. And I will always be your friend."

I do not know that my friend feels a flash of jealousy, but I feel the same when she mentions being born in the Falls. I don't remember where I was born, although I have always assumed it was here in the Jungle.

"We are going to the Dale! And I don't know what mama would say but we can ask her, Vi! She always listens to me, and is very nice even when she says no. And maybe someday we can visit kingdoms together, just you and me." I sigh wistfully. Traveling would be a great adventure.

I look at the capybara, who is watching us curiously, much calmer than it was even moments before. "Let's try walking down to the riverbank, and see if he follows us. Um, could you lead? I don't know where it is from here…"

Someday, I determine silently, I will know this Jungle inside and out. No one will be able to get lost if they are with me. For now, however, I am the mercy of the more experienced.

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

ooc: struggled with this post tonight but i hated leaving you waiting for so long. next one will be better!