• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

do you dare to do this? Rhynn
    so you wanna play with magic?
    The Deserts isn't the only thing she's left hanging. Her little group, her little force of mischief and mayhem, they too had been more or less left hanging. But she's not inclined to feel guilty over that. Really she's not generally inclined toward guilt just as a personality thing, but if she were going to feel guilt, well, she wouldn't waste it on her little band of misfits.

It's not that she dislikes them – oh no, she's perfectly fond of them. It's just that if they were going to fall down and break apart because of a little absence from her, well, then they weren't the kind that she thought they were in the first place. They needed to be strong, to be tempered and hard like metal, to be able to be resilient, to be able to bounce back no matter what.

But even if she doesn't want to coddle them like so many children, she still intends for them to be useful. And to that end, well, it's time to pick up where she left off.

She stands in the middle of the meadow. Well, not the meadow, more her meadow. It is morning, perhaps, or evening, or the middle of the night. It's a magic hour, a witching hour, and the mist is thick. It clings to the grass and to the trees, settling into the hollows like a blanket over a sleeping figure. But Camrynn is not sleeping (does she even sleep?). Instead, she stands alone in this secluded portion of the meadow, and reaches out with her magic.

Invisible, unknowable, her power crosses the distance between herself and the Valley. It wraps gently around Rhynn, sinking deep into everything that the little mare is. Perhaps the girl feels a prickling sensation, as though something is nagging at the back of her mind. Perhaps it tickles a little bit, or perhaps it is simply calming, like a gentle breeze. But whatever it feels like to her, by the time Camrynn is done, her little gift to Rhynn is poised to activate. The gift she'd promised so long ago is wrapped around the girl, invisible and intangible.

But it's not active. Not yet.

Rhynn. the voice is gentle in her mind, a sense of whispered command combined with an overwhelming desire to come to the spot where Camrynn now stands. It's almost wordless – it might have been wordless, even – but it is unmistakable. Camrynn is (respectfully and yet firmly) summoning Rhynn to join her here, in this secret meadow. The sensation builds and concentrates itself in the mark she bears on her left elbow, as though an inferno of heat is building there. It won't glow, it won't even look or feel any different to anyone other than Rhynn. But Rhynn would know. And Rhynn would know where to go, know how to find this place where she's never been, and where none but her could even go.

And in the secret meadow-within-the-meadow, Rhynn will find the Queen Illuminate, glowing like mist made flesh in the impossibility of this little enclave. As is her custom, she is everything rolled into one, an indescribable glowing vapor that seems to radiate light from within. Her form is as elegant as ever, and her voice when she speaks will be a silent boom, an unmistakable resonance of thousands in a whisper. Her eyes will glow silver – pinpricks of fitting brightness against the gloom around them.

And here, in this little magic enclave, in this little half-world, the Queen Illuminate is finally ready to give her boon. But first, Rhynn will have to decide to come, decide to serve, decide to commit herself again. And Camrynn isn't at all sure it'll be an easy decision. But she's content to wait. She's in no rush at all.
    CAMRYNN
    co-queen of the deserts, magical, mother of badassery

@[Tinsel] I did a thing <3

she slept with wolves without fear

She’s exploring the kingdom when her body begins to tingle, followed by a strange prickling sensation in the little swirl of hair behind her left elbow. She freezes instantly. She knows exactly what it means.

“Now, of all times?!” It’s been well over a year since she last heard from the ‘Queen Illuminate.’ Rhynn had started to believe that the magician had all but forgotten about her, no doubt too busy with her other schemes. It’d rankled her. She’d been looking forward to the magician’s gift, and to having a chance to have her hoof in some of Beqanna’s bigger dealings. A chance to play with the big kids, as it were.

But, she’d grown to accept that she’d been forgotten and had decided to make her own way. Which is why she’s even here now.

And to have the Queen call on her now?!

She’s almost tempted to not show up, just out of spite. But that would be stupid. She’d just be screwing herself over and losing the opportunity at power.

So, begrudgingly, she makes her way to the meadow. She takes her time though - the magician had made her wait, and so she will make the magician wait. Over a year is far too long to keep a willing servant waiting.

She follows the pull, letting it take her to a hidden little meadow that she’s never seen before. The magician probably made it herself. No doubt she’ll will never be able to find it again once she’s left - magicians like that sort of trick.

And there she is, the Queen Illuminate. An indescribable figure of mist and light and sound - a creature of purest magic, or so she’d no doubt like Rhynn to believe. Rhynn stops and scowls at her, unimpressed by the show. “You certainly took your time.” She falls silent then, waiting for the magician to speak, to give her the promised gift, to give her an assignment.

Of course, she’ll still serve. She knows it and the magician knows it. But she’s still going to make her displeasure known.

for the wolves knew a lion was among them

rhynn

Rhynn gives her sass, and Camrynn (sorry, the Queen Illuminate) can't help but laugh. Camrynn likes her, the girl has spirit. "A magician is never late, Rhynn." she speaks gently, amusement clear in her tone. "He – or she – arrives precisely when they intend to." She speaks, as usual, with her voice-of-many-voices.

"And besides, how could I know that you were loyal? It's so easy to come back when you've barely been gone. But it takes true dedication to come back after months or years." Perhaps it's a lie, perhaps it's not. Perhaps the Queen had truly intended to test her. Or perhaps she'd simply gotten bored, or distracted.

"But you're here now, and you've obeyed me. Your time in the Valley has been fruitful, I trust?" she doesn't wait for an answer. "And so as you give me your service, I give you my gift." she smiles then, and the dark-light that surrounds her whips forward to encompass Rhynn too, closing in around her before the girl can even move.

The sensation would surely be a strange one, because the Queen Illuminate has pulled them inside Rhynn's own head. She has painted it beautiful, filled it with constellations like stars and miniature galaxies, all colored by the same fabulous light-darkness that has come to characterize Camrynn in this form. When the magician speaks, it is as though Rhynn is thinking it to herself, as though it echoes in her mind.

The gift I give you is the gift of silence, she begins, her voice clear and crisp in the expanse. A pressure builds inside Rhynn's mind, but it is like water filling a pitcher rather than something filling to bursting. Camrynn is unlocking things, opening up the part of the mind that is rarely used, tweaking and adjusting as she needs to accommodate the new magic. And as the intensity builds to a crescendo, as the feeling of fullness laps at the top of Rhynn's mind, there is an explosion of black stars and it is over. Rhynn sees normally again, the meadow is around them again, and the Queen Illuminate stands before her, expression as inscrutable as ever.

"Mental invisibility." she says, explaining the gift. "You can silence your thoughts, hide them – creep among even those who can read minds undetected." the queen smiles. "It will be a nice compliment to your darkness manipulation, and the two of them together will make you an even better servant for my needs."

She doesn't remind the girl that her new power depends entirely on her service. Rhynn knows – if she didn't know, she wouldn't be here, wouldn't have come when Camrynn called. The girl is fully aware of the ties that now bind them, and Camrynn knows she won't be running off and breaking them any time soon. She grins. "I certainly hope you enjoy it, and use it in good health." her voice is light, sweet. Of course she doesn't care if the girl enjoys it, or if she uses it in good health. She'd prefer all of her servants be healthy (dead is of little use to her, undead armies aren't really her thing) but she isn't about to lose sleep over it.

"Speaking of using it." she transitions smoothly, "I have need of you." She pauses for a moment, just long enough to tilt her light-dark head, as though looking at the girl from a different angle. "I need you to make a friend. His name is Tiberios, and he is King in the Falls. He is…interesting to me."

Truth be told, she isn't entirely sure why she finds him interesting. Perhaps it's as simple as him being one of Beqanna's newest crowned heads. Or perhaps it's her spidey sense tingling and telling her that there's a reason to be paying attention. Or maybe it's entirely and purely a whim. You never really can tell.

"I really do mean make a friend, at least for now." she chuckles. "No shenanigans." a pause, and a smile. "At least, not yet."

I really have no idea what she's got up her sleeve here :|

she slept with wolves without fear

The Queen offers her some flimsy excuse, and Rhynn rolls her eyes, uncaring if the magician sees. She will serve, but she’s allowed to be irritated.

When the Queen says that she had to ensure Rhynn’s loyalty, the tiny mare snorts loudly and raises an imaginary eyebrow. The magician should know Rhynn’s loyalty well enough without making her wait - she should be able to read minds after all! More likely the Queen had just forgotten about her. Or been diverted by some ‘bigger’ plot. There’s really no point in lying. Granted, do magicians even know how to tell the truth?

And then she finally offers the promised gift.

Her eyes widen, wanting to take in every little last detail of this moment. And then she feels something building.

It builds and builds and builds, until the pressure explodes in a dazzling display of stars in her mind. And then it’s over. And there’s a strange sensation in the back of her mind.

She’s confused when the Queen explains it - mental invisibility - but the more she thinks about the gift, the more she likes it. She can already make herself physically invisible with her shadows, but to make herself mentally invisible as well? Her disguise will be indestructible. No one will be able to get past her deceptions. “Thank you, my Queen. I will make sure to put it to good use.”

And then, finally, she’s given an assignment. She’s heard of Tiberios only in passing - king of the sleeping Dazzling Waterfall. Not someone she would have thought to be of great import. Of course, she has no idea what the magician is planning. She nods her head and smiles. “Your will be done.” She pauses, waiting to see if there are any more instructions, and when there are none, she turns to leave. She might as well get to it.

for the wolves knew a lion was among them

rhynn