• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

go out to the places you will be from | any

been tryin' hard not to get into trouble

Everdeen is on an adventure all of her own, she's not been of many words recently as she's trying to find her place amongst the kingdom life. She's never known much about it other than when her mother was part of one...and stirred up trouble. She feels a pull to the Valley although she doesn't know why -- she hears an evil association, she's not so sure. Demian seems nice, as does Gallows but shamefully that's the only two she's met...and that one mouthy guy, Fennick. It may seem petty but she wants to have some sort of significance to her life, Demian had given the stipulations for promotions and she was determined she would have it.

She would have everything she dreamed of, she just knew it.

The gray tobiano had left the Dale earlier, continuing her path towards the Chamber. She has heard the Queen, Straia, but not much else - she wonders what makes them different from the Valley...or any kingdom really. She will be asking questions, getting to know someone (hopefully) - she wasn't sure how she felt about friendships. What was a friend, really? She'd never known one. Life is strange that way, it's even stranger when you come from nowhere and you start from nothing. She doesn't have any aspirations to be a Queen, to wage a war, to make love or raise a family. She's just riding it out as it happens, maybe with a suitor or two. "Hello? Everdeen, from the Valley," she says quietly, her amber eyes peering out to see if she needed to speak louder. Her voice was like a field mouse trying to capture the attention over a instrumental concert at times. She was pretty but not well spoken or very knowledgeable in the ways of how things worked. She could easily be taken advantage of, luckily, she hadn't thus far.

e v e r d e e n

Most people hung on to that little thing called ambition. It came in all shapes and sizes. They thought ambition would get them somewhere, that having goals would bring all their wildest dreams on a silver platter. That they would become famous or a legend. That they would cause wars or bring peace as the most dire of times. Most ambition stems from a need to not be forgotten. A fear. If there is any fear that the cremello stallion has, it is that. His father suffered from it as well, they all did. Yet he did not need ambition to carry out this plan. It’s in fact the opposite that made his name fall off other’s lips in disgust, fear, wonder, awe. He simply doesn’t give a flying fuck about anything. Oh well, that’s not exactly true. He likes the Chamber, his birthplace. He keeps crawling back to it for a reason. He likes Straia because in their separate ways they are still all on the same page. He even likes some of the Chamber residents. But if it all disappeared, if they disappeared, he would acknowledge it and move on. There were other means to an end, other places and people and things to use and abuse. He wouldn’t cry, he wouldn’t pine away. That’s what made him so successful you see. It’s easier to become something when you literally don’t give a shit about how you attain it, how you get there, and what exactly it is you may become.

The Chamber ghost is always haunting the borders, as he has been prone to do time and time again no matter how many times he comes back to this kingdom. His ghostly white form lingers in the shadows of the pine forest, red eyes always glowing as he watches for strangers. It was always a nice change of pace, having non-natives come to the kingdom. Easier to pick on and to play with. Today’s no different, a pretty little thing coming and calling out into the kingdom. Such a foolish girl. You never know who is listening. He doesn’t move from his position as he replies back in a hiss, just loud enough to carry to her. ”And what would we want with a little Valley girl?” As far as he knows, Alliances as this point are fragile things that can easily be broken. Straia herself had encouraged the pot to be stirred and word had finally spread about the Valley’s new king. As far as he was concerned, there is no need to be polite. Even if there was, he wouldn’t be.

Gryffen
    - - - - -
    The Big Bad Wolf

Officially I'm in the diplomatic caste. Unofficially, I don't give a fuck. I chose something so no one would harass me, but I don't have the slightest intention of rising anywhere that my wings aren't taking me. Still, it does give me an excellent excuse to scout other territories and kingdoms under the guise of diplomacy.

Diplomacy. I snort. Not much useful there, except delaying the inevitable.

I haven't quite decided where I am going to use my behind the scenes pass yet when I catch stray thoughts as Everdeen waltzes her way towards the Chamber. I sigh. Might as well make a team effort. After all, let's face it, at the moment the Chamber is the stronger land and it wouldn't do to start a war over someone's delectable ass.

Sweet, sweet Everdeen. Don't you know this place is filled with wolves and ravens and all manner of other detestable thing? Perhaps it would be best if you put out your claws so they know you are a threat. I know you have them, I've seen your mind.

I follow at a distance, lazily making circles in the sky until she crosses over the borderland into the beating heart of the Chamber. Really, how do they stand it here? The Valley has the good sense to hold still. I land less than gracefully some distance away and then canter to catch up. My pace is slower and so Everdeen has company before I can reach her. I trot over casually, my hawk's wings tucked against my side.

Oh, this one's mind. He is wicked, isn't he? You hardly need to be a mind reader to know his intent. It is written over every sinew and muscle in his body.

Gryffen, dear, I don't care what you do with your herd of darlings, but you aren't doing anything to a Valley member. After all, Everdeen here has chosen the better of the two lands and it would be so inconsiderate to make her regret that decision.

Nevermind that my son is here. Even he knows better than to argue that the Chamber is better with me.

"Don't you think you have enough broken toys in your playpen, Gryffen? Do me a personal favor and leave this one for the Valley." I grin, showing my teeth. Oh yes, I know all about your girls.

I settle near enough to Everdeen that she knows she has my back up, but not so close as to make it obvious. I'll let her lead this little jaunt. After all, I'm a fan of seeing where this conversation is going to go. Within parameters, of course.

"Gallows. And that is Everdeen."

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

She’s heard that the Valley is in new hands. And she’s been waiting. Waiting for more news from the ravens (they say the new Valley king is nice, which seems like nonsense, but the ravens don’t understand anything but the truth). Waiting to see what move the Valley might make. They have an alliance, certainly, but is it one they want to continue now? She doesn’t know, and so she’s let the matter be. For now, anyway.

Today though, her waiting is at least slightly rewarded. There are two from the Valley. One fragile thing (why do kingdoms keep sending the broken and fragile and quite things to the place full of monsters?) and one that actually knows what she’s doing. Straia knows, and is watching as Gryffen hisses back from his place in the shadows. The Chamber members are often hidden in shadows. Today, Straia is simply hidden in the trees with the rest of the ravens.

When Gallows introduces herself, at least acting like there’s going to be no party, Straia leaves the trees. She lands on the ground not far from the trio before shifting back into a horse. Gryffen hasn’t actually come out yet, but he is stark white, and he can’t hide that well. She knows he’s there. And she’s here as much for her own curiosity as to make sure he doesn’t destroy the tentative alliance between the two kingdoms. Certainly, they were fragile things. But if it turned out Demian was even remotely like-minded to the Chamber, they could do great things together.

“Welcome.” she says. She keeps her mind intentionally blank, except for the image of a raven that flaps about in there. She doesn’t actually know how Gallows knows about Gryffen’s little herd, but just in case. “Straia. What can we do for you?”

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

image © Squirt

Kushiel liked to think that he knew how to mind his own business. He liked to think it, but it wasn’t true. Yet, even if it wasn’t, apparently, his destiny to interrupt every diplomatic meeting the Chamber hosted, he would of had to interrupt this one.

Oh god, his mother was here.

She had, of course, threatened to show up, but he had hoped it was just that, threats. He should have known better. For the second time in living memory, Kushiel made his way towards the growing group with a sense of urgency. He needed to make sure things didn’t get out of hand. What if his mom told his chambermates stories about what he was like as a foal? What if his chambermates told his mom stories about what he was like as an adult?

Really, it was all too much to be born.

Logically, Kushiel knew none of them had gathered to talk about him. But, logic which concluded Kushiel wasn’t at the foreground of everyone’s thoughts just didn’t seem to compute particularly well. So, it was with a scowl that he stalked up to them. Still, it was probably in his best interest not to make too big a scene, or else they might actually start talking about him, or else make him return to the Valley with his mother.

Neither of those were desirable outcomes.

So while he was still scowling ferociously, he managed a little bit of grace when he pulled up beside them. Stiffly, he greeted them, sending a pointed warning look at Gallows.

“Mother, Everdeen, I see you found your way all right.” It rather sounded like he would have preferred they had gotten lost half way there. He had the grace not to say it, however, and that was all that really mattered.

Kushiel took a look around and sighed in relief when he noticed Gryffen was here as well. He would probably end up kidnapping sweet, little Everdeen. That would probably shatter their kingdoms’ fragile alliance, thus ensuring his mother didn’t have further opportunity to embarrass him. Kushiel grinned at the thought, knowing it was, most likely, just a happy fantasy. Gryffen usually behaved himself when it was for the good of the kingdom. Kushiel could probably learn a thing or two from him. At least they had dear Straia to keep the beasts in line. Of course, there were those who would be disconcerted to learn that the Raven Queen was their only buffer from mayhem. She had a reputation of her own.

been tryin' hard not to get into trouble

She is more than happy to have a cloak of naivety. She is barely four but she is not still wet behind the ears, she's just easily concealable and unknown. Demian knows the most about her and that isn't saying much, Gallows knows her mind but she can't surely know the next move before it happens. Perhaps she is wrong, although she didn't have company travel to the Dale with her it is no mystery there is someone trailing behind her.

It isn't long before a ghostly figure appears, it was blatantly obvious pleasantries weren't his forte and she was genuinely surprised that he didn't smell worse. Perhaps it's just our perception of what we see and what we expect to mimic in our olfactory sensory; Everdeen isn't sure. She furrows her brow slightly as he makes his spill about a little valley girl. She is not bothered, a smile was often on her face but when that facade wasn't up it was simply a mask of indifference. "Oh, my apologies - I wasn't aware I was offering my oath, loins or blood," she quickly retorts, noticing Gallows as appeared from behind her in close proximity, "If what Gallows says is true, why do you keep playing with broken things? Can't find a big enough challenge?" she says, all sweetly, all genuine on the exterior - she wasn't sure of the next mare approaching; she was colored similar to our Everdeen (in pattern at least) and Raven's circled her. "The Queen, must be," she says to herself and greets her with a small extension of her neck and nickers a welcome. Soon a man who identifies as Gallows son approaches, she did not expect a party but she assesses that she and Gallows are outnumbered despite where this Kushiel's allegiance may be.

"Thank you for your welcome, Straia and you sir," she didn't catch his name but surely Gallows will say it if he doesn't. "As you may have heard we have changed hands so to speak, Demian is our King now. Obviously we both have some bloodthirsty," she eyes Gryffen,"members in each of our kingdoms. We're implementing changes and perhaps if our values align, could form an alliance - do you have any questions for me? It's only the polite thing to let you go first..."

She was sweet but she can bite, if provoked enough.

e v e r d e e n

A hoarse laugh comes from his throat. Oh pretty girls and their sense of entitlement. Thinking they are above it all and that a little bit of sass is enough armor to protect them. As if they can’t bleed and scream and cry. As if it’s enough to keep them safe. It was pointless to try and conceal himself due to his bright coat, however he could still entertain an air of mystery which is why he remains concealed in the mist and shadows. Slowly he moves towards her, crimson eyes glittering and angelic downy wings ruffling gently against his sides. ”Oh but of course you are. However I don’t want your oath or blood. I’ll take your loins though.” A wolfish grin spreading on pale lips. But of course the fun is quickly disrupted by another. An old mare who apparently has a personal interest in his playthings. He shoots her a dark but amused look. ”There’s always room for one more in the pen… Why are you interested? I don’t discriminate against cougars.”

Everdeen shoots another sassy little comment, once again trying to appear tougher than she is. He sidles up to her, purring like a kitten. ”You think they all started off broken, pet?” His breath hot on her velvet curved ear. ”And are you a big enough challenge Everdeen? I’ll happily take you up on that offer…” The raven on his back kraws with laughter, joining in on it’s master’s amusement. Straia and Kushiel have joined them now and he barks with laughter as Kushiel greets the two Valley members. ”Kushiel this is your mother? I hate to tell you this but she’s been coming on to me… Not that she can help herself of course.” He grins at the flickering stallion, a little payback for that earlier encounter when he had brought his daughter for a visit. The stolen child that the Amazons now hide from him in their disgusting jungle.

It’s all for show of course, for the most part, this jesting. He’s well aware with new developments that having an ally would be for the best and the Valley is their best bet. Depending on where their mindset is of course. Everdeen quickly slips into her diplomatic reasoning of why she’s here and before Straia can reply he asks her bluntly. ”So what are your new Kings values exactly?” No point in beating around the bush as there’s no point in anymore conversation of Demian and Straia aren’t of the same mindset when it comes to the direction of their kingdoms. He knows where the Chamber is headed but was the Valley coming with them?

Gryffen
    - - - - -
    The Big Bad Wolf

I chuckle, delighted with Everdeen's quick responses. Anyone who looked at her would think she was weak or incapable, but her mind reveals a vastly different picture. It's satisfying to catch glimpses of her sass. Gryffen thinks she might be an easy target but I am happy to acertain that Everdeen would be capable of handing even him a challenge. Not that I'll leave. After all, we are now at three Chamber horses to two Valley horses and I like those odds just fine.

You may not discriminate, little man, but I am happy to report that my tastes are a little more discerning than your own. You'd find me a bit more of a challenge than your collection of broken toys, and I am not entirely sure you are up to the task.” I grin, baring my teeth widely. Oh if he only knew how old I was and how many sadistic stallions like him I have seen come and go. They always make up some of the base layer of a kingdom.

We are interrupted by Kushiel's arrival. I appraise him cooly.

Of course, darling, neither of us are idiots, and as far as I know the Chamber hasn't moved locations.” I say sharply, responding to his evident reluctance at our arrival. Silly boy, he had to have known that I was going to crash his party at some point. He'd have to choose a vastly different kingdom if he never wanted to see me again.

Not that he does want to avoid me. We have an odd and affectionate relationship, my son and I. It requires annoyance, distance and rare moments of wisdom to maintain.

I roll my dark eyes at Gryffen's comment. Really. Anyone who knows me knows I wouldn't come on to anyone, no matter how entrancing. And that is not a word I would use to describe Gryffen.

Values, hm. I'd say Demian values whatever will advance and strengthen the Chamber, much as your queen values that for her home.” Saying a lot while saying little. It's one of the few redeeming qualities of diplomacy. “After all, what matters most is what the Valley herself values. Demian is a more than capable conduit. And,” here I nod to Straia, acknowledging her question, "a better question is, how can help one another encourage a little bit of chaos in an otherwise quiet place? That is what we are here for."

I look at Everdeen, and the others, waiting to see what will be offered up next.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

It will always amuse her that she is in fact the voice of reason in the Chamber. Once upon a time, Kavi was always in her ear. And Engelsfor, before the poor mare fell ill. Both of them were far more equipped for diplomacy than Straia. But both of them were gone right now, and it was terribly true that the Chamber was lacking in diplomats. Not that Straia hadn’t served her time in both castes. She had, and in fact she had preferred diplomacy. So in this, she is capable of managing situations when she feels so inclined.

The problem of course is that she doesn’t always feel so inclined. And everyone seemed perfectly okay to leave her in charge anyway. At least she wasn’t Gryffen. Oh. Could you imagine the Chamber with Gryffen as it’s King?

Everdeen is quick enough to retort though, and Straia can’t help but smile a bit. Her grin is just a bit wicked as she looks to the Chamber ghost. “This one knows how to bite Gryffen.” She smiles, less wicked and more playful, at Everdeen. It’s clear enough that Straia appreciates a mare that can hold her own. She’s really never understood mares, or anyone, who cowed at the first sign of something scary. But of course, Straia is rarely cowed by anything.

It helps that she doesn’t fear death. She will die one day, perhaps. If the Chamber requires her death, she will give in to the reaper gladly. If the Chamber wants her to live, to slink in and out as Atrox does (something of a constant guardian), than she will go willingly into the shadows of that fate as well. None of them bother her. Though for now, she is Queen, and will remain Queen. Her time is done yet.

Gryffen asks the most important question, and Straia remains silent for a moment, listening to the others talk. Kushiel reveals that Gallows is his mother, and Straia almost laughs. Almost. She can almost see the relation, but there’s some place that it doesn’t quite fit. Gallows start an answer with annoying diplomacy, saying absolutely nothing with a lot of words. Straia’s quickly losing interest until the word chaos finally makes it way into the conversation.

There we go.

“It sounds like the Valley and the Chamber might have something in common then. Granted, I’d like to meet your king before plunging Beqanna into chaos together. How about I return to the Valley with you two ladies? We’ll leave Gryffen behind.” In this particular instance, they could use an alliance rather than ruffle some more feathers. The Chamber don’t necessarily need one, but having one gives them so many more options. And she doesn’t need Gryffen screwing it up by being himself.

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

image © Squirt

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission