• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  how beautiful and brutal is your love?

Assailant

The flame-licked bird still hovers before him in his mind’s eye, its words hum teasingly in his ears, and both only add to the growing sense of excitement that has rooted itself deep in his chest. The magic of Beqanna has smiled on his little group, has granted them the chance to resurrect Tephra from its obscured state. A mild twinge of guilt lies just beneath the surface of his enthusiasm, for he knows his motivations can’t hold a candle to the others that he’d convinced to go on this quest with him.

He genuinely doesn’t know if anything can mend the rift that he accidentally created between himself and Adriana, but he would be amiss to not try. No longer wanting to be the kind of man to do things halfway, why not make the grandest gesture by returning her home to her? There is a part of him that does not want to consider the possibility of her rebuffing him even if they succeed in the quest, but that part of him also quietly acknowledges that as long as she is happy with having Tephra again, that will be enough for him.

By the time he descends the Mountain, the sun has begun its own descent beyond the horizon and he pauses to soak in the regal beauty of the sky painted so richly in varied shades of red and orange, with hints of blue and purple creeping in at the edges. Strange how he never used to notice such things before and now that seems to be all he does. He stares a moment longer then starts moving toward the Forest, where he’d asked Kreation to meet him. He figured that if he was to look for pieces of Tephra, there was no better place than where this journey had started in the first place, the place where he had emerged from the waters after centuries of entrapment, the place where he had first met Adriana.

It doesn’t take him long to reach the edge of the forest where it happened and he stops to observe the area, faint snippets of their conversation whispering hauntingly to him. He shakes his head to clear the memories and he realizes that something else calls to him from deep within the crowded trees, so he turns to them and hesitates for only the briefest of moments before plunging into the shadows.

At first, the air is heavy with the sounds of nocturnal creatures stirring from their slumber, preparing to go about their usual activities. As he trudges deeper into the woods, the noise level falls to the dullest of roars as the creatures attempt to determine if he is friend or foe before continuing their routines. Suddenly, he notices a soft golden glow begin to pulse nearby. Intrigued, he heads in its direction but before he can reach the source, a strange noise freezes him where he stands..

All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware

--Martin Buber

image by HalwestIV

@Kreation 

quest post #1
    word count: 488
    total count: 488

There is a breeze that picks up atop the mountain as they stand waiting for something to happen.  It comes on quickly, enough to ruffle my feathers and then it dissipates.  A scent of brine and ash lingers, my eyes close briefly, drawing in the aroma of my island home.  When they open, I find a fiery little bird hovering before me.  Its beady eyes stare at me judgingly before moving to Assailant where it announces its purpose.  Go forth, find pieces of Tephra, and bring them back here.  My head tilts in thought at the bird's command.  

Find pieces of Tephra...

The words linger in my thoughts as I leap into the turbulent airs of the Mountain.  Lightening streaks across the skies here for reasons unknown to me.  My wings straighten, allowing the upward draft to glide me around the cragged formation, my sheer weight pulling me downward slightly.  It isn't until I have reached the treetops below that I begin to thrust the wings at my sides.  My direction is south, to the forests as discussed with Lant before leaving the place of magic.

I arrive before him, the light of the day fading into night just as I land at the border.  Without hesitation I slink into the shadows of the trees, surely, they would find something here.  The lavender ears atop my cranium twist, picking up the faintest of sounds.  Things chirp and creak within the darkness, casting an eerie array of noises from all around me.  The dim lightening did no more than create shadows that shifted about with each step.

There is a sudden pause in the nighttime creature's chorus.  My steps cease as I listen more intently.  A soft plod of steps is faint in the distance, growing louder with each second.  My eyes narrow as I try to make out the figures outline, something a familiarity in it.  It seems to be enchanted by a faint, pulsing glow that I now notice.  In the dim array of light, I can distinctly make out the face of my comrade.  A devious grin curls my lips as I trod nearer, my steps matching his with near perfect precision.  Closing the distance between us I let out an outlandish noise from the darkness that cloaks me.  Lant stops, froze still in fear or confusion, maybe both.  I choke back a laugh before springing from the brush, "Hey!"  I shout laced with hilarity.  I prance casually to his side and bump him the brow of my iron wing as I chuckle.  "Gotcha!"  I josh as my gaze returns to the faint glow, "Whatcha find?"

Kreation
    Say What You Wanna Say

@assailant

Assailant

In truth, he is not prepared for what may lurk in the suffocating shadows. All of his years as a herd stallion had been remarkably uneventful. Though there had been others that had attempted to pilfer a mare or two, he had always managed to intervene in time and nothing ever devolved into a true fight, nor can he recall a single challenge that had ever come his way. He had always been lucky in that respect.

Having no allegiance to anyone but himself, he had never been involved in any of the wars or skirmishes either. He vaguely remembers the beginning of the Alliance but there had been no appeal for him. He remembers his intent to test the waters in the Forsaken Chamber when the kingdoms were blended and reshaped, but fate had intervened before he could do so.

Simply, he was not a man built for fighting.

As he quickly contemplates the possibilities of the strange noise’s source, he rues the fact that he had never taken Famkee up on her offer to learn how to properly use his horn. The feel of it on his forehead is incredibly heavy, as though weighted with his foolish, feckless behavior. Though he does not truly know how to wield a weapon, he lowers his head, just in case.

Then a laugh cuts through the thick tension and a familiar figure prowls into his line of vision. Of course. For the first time, he finds himself annoyed by her boisterous personality, but he is careful not to let any of this show on his face. He cannot risk chasing her off for any reason as he still needs her help in accomplishing their mutual goal.

He had asked her to join him since he had never been to Tephra before, so he needed someone to help him identify one of the missing pieces that he could present to the fairies. But beyond that, he did not want to drive her off because something within him knows that she has good intentions and that there is something he can learn from her.

So he shakes his head and snorts softly to dispel any unease that remains in his body. He accepts the touch of her metal wing and forces a smile as he returns the gesture with his own flesh and feather wing. He does not say anything (oking around has never been his forte) and he looks back to where the glowing light is.

Correction, was.

His brow furrows in confusion and frustration. “I’m not sure, but it seems to be gone. Still..” He had lined himself up with the source, so in theory, he could still find the place just by continuing in the same direction. Whether he finds the glowing object, well, that’s another story.

He brushes lightly against the mare at his side, momentarily distracted by the feel of cool metal against his skin. He is getting more used to the different manifestations of Beqanna’s magic, but some things still manage to throw him for a loop. The slight shock passes quickly enough though as he moves forward.

The glow does not return as they progress deeper into the Forest, but he subconsciously recognizes that something is out of place here in the darkness. It seems to press closely around him, to wrap crushing fingers around his chest so that breaths are harder to come by. What is it that is bothering him so?

He hadn’t noticed the blossoms sporadically dotting their pathway, but now they are beginning to form denser clusters and their bright colors begin to draw his attention. Odd. He pauses to bend his head closer to inspect a patch. The scent is lovely, heady and just enough out of place that he wonders if these could be what they are looking for. Excitement building yet again, he lifts his head to look at Kreation, to ask her what she thinks, when the gold light reappears several yards away.

“Oh.. look, it’s there now.”

He moves swiftly, not wanting to lose track of the shimmering aura again, and in his haste, he does not notice the twin reflections that also pierce the darkness that surrounds them.

--Martin Buber

image by HalwestIV

@Kreation

quest post #2
    word count: 702
    total count: 1190

Satisfied with myself a smile upturns my lips as he mimics my gesture with his own wing.  His reply is one of unknowing and I realize now, with a shift of my eyes, that the glow has disappeared.  It isn't long before he is moving through the darkness, and I am at his heels.  

There wasn't much that frightened me fore when you are made mostly of metal what is there to be afraid of.  I remain alert though as we trek further into the depths of the forest.  My steps are heavy and I begin to take note of muted colors along our path.  My nares draw in an aroma, sweet and enlightening.  It tastes of home, and I find myself closing my eyes in remembrance.  Not realizing my partner has stopped to inspect the flowers I run right into his hind end with an ompf"What the..." My eyes then open and my view clears.  I hear him direct my attention and our run in is forgotten as he is moving quick to the faint glow having reappeared.  

My pace quickens in tow, the light our beacon.  His speed swifter than mine, I begin to lag behind just a bit.  It is then I see a refraction of the golden hue in a set of orbs ahead and of to the side of the path they move along.  "Wait!" I shout in a whisper, suspicion rising within me.  My focus is trained on the spots just ahead and I pick up speed and leap to get in front of Lant.  My heavy body blocks his path to the light, my body cockeyed, ridgid and staring into the blackness.

I do not hesitate and the magics within me are calling into the earths crest.  The iron, hot and malleable, rises in thin tendrils before melding into plates around my body.  The breast collared trinket from the mountain sets into the shield now covering my chest.  My armored face still points to the unexplained orbs, my eyes narrowed and ready for whatever was lurking in this place.  "Stay... very... still..." I whisper to my friend in warning, the seriousness in my voice something unexpected.

It is then the orbs begin to shift against the unknown soft glow.  They move casually, bobbing softly.  It is then I hear a trinkling of sorts, something akin to that of a river babbling.  My muscles though remain tense and coiled to attack at any given second.  I ready myself with a slight shift in my footing and lowering of my head, the tension of the atmosphere pulsing through my iron heart.  It is then a grin comes to my face, a determination to exterminate whatever was lurking closer.  Just a little further...

I am about to spring forward with a warrior's cry, when the edges of a tiny face begin to gleam around the orbs.  This causes my pause and realization that the waters I heard was that of a tiny pond, the surface now reflecting golden hues.  My position does not faulter, but my eyes are peeked with curiosity.  The small figure climbs from the waters rocky edging and walks unwavering towards me.  It's fish-like tail gently waves behind it, its tiny paws webbed like that of a duck.  Water droplets drip from its sleek skin, which begins to illuminate purple.  My ironed face tilts curiously as I find recognition in this creature.  My body softens and my head begins to rise with a rigid chuckle, "False alarm!"  I look to Lant who may very well still be tense from the whole ordeal.  "It's just a Felis Marus," another chuckle follows.  "Phewww, that was intense right?"  If I had been closer, I may have nudge him again with my wing as I sign of comradery, but instead I look back to the small feline of Tephra who has come to sit before me quietly licking at its paws.

The metal plates I had crafted remain along my body, just in case, but I shake tension away and lower my shielded face to the glowing purple cat.  "Well, aren't you the cutest little fish cat ever," I say in a cooing tone, "yes you are."  The feline ceases cleaning itself and looks to me with bright eyes and curious expression.  I run my muzzle along its back and give it a friendly scratch, "yes you are just the cutest, slimiest, little kitty aren't you."  I look to Lant with a confirming tone, "Guess we found pieces of Tephra."  My focus then turns to the area around them alighting against the bioluminescent glow of the water, revealing a mini oasis around the pool.  Flora of all shapes and colors were scattered about the area.  "Well grab something and lets go!" I exclaim happily as I look again to the cat that now rubs against my iron leg.  "You wanna go home little fish cat?!"  I don't need to say any more and the cat leaps onto my back, settling at my withers.

Kreation
    Say What You Wanna Say

Felis Marus -Cat fish of Tephra

@assailant

Assailant

Typically cautious (maybe even to a fault), he has no qualms tonight about plunging headlong into the darkness. It escapes him for now, but perhaps he might reflect later that he should be a little more reckless in his actions, rather than playing everything so guardedly. Although, were he normally the adventurous type, there’s a chance he would not be on this mission at all.

His focus is linear, laser-like, wholly trained on that subtle golden glow. It beckons him, calls to him nearly as powerfully as his desire to gather Adriana beneath his wing once more, to even see her face one more time. The intuition that so rarely fails him speaks to him, lets him know that this is what he seeks, that this is what will make his dream a reality.

He is barely aware of Kreation’s warning cry. In fact, he only realizes that something has gone awry when she surges past him and blocks his path forward. A loud huff of exasperation whistles forcefully through his nose as he narrowly avoids crashing directly into her, a feat she had not quite managed not so very long ago. As he gathers his wits, tension begins to return to him again, lighting up every nerve and muscle fiber like a city grid recovering from a blackout.

Finally, he distinguishes the eyes glimmering amid the gold light and he resists the urge to paw at the ground, to posture combatively (even though he has no true urge to fight whatever lies behind those eyes). While he may not be the most useful partner, he prepares himself to leap into the fray with the brash young woman standing before him.

But the moment does not come.

Instead, the glow fades abruptly once more, and a small hybrid creature, hardly intimidating, rises from a pool he had not noticed stretching across the way. He is not as quick to drop his defenses, as he does not recognize the name that she gives for the purple feline-like thing, but it truly seems harmless enough. He laughs quietly at Kreation’s words.  “Well, it was certainly something…” He studies the thing, the Felis Marus, and intends to move closer, but as it settles in to groom itself, a familiar scent drifts their way and his head lifts automatically. Surely not.

It is briny and tangy, breezy and comforting, as though he is standing seaside, or better.. beside her. A tentative spark of hope flickers in his chest at the idea that she might be nearby. But then he notices that there is a soft sweetness and a humidity-laden earthiness, that underlies the initial oceanic notes, that makes it just different enough to quell the fire before it has really caught on. He vaguely registers that Kreation has suggested that they’ve found a few remnants of Tephra, but before he can respond, he is distracted yet again.

Just as the elation fades back into the shadows of his mind, the golden light flares into being at the water’s edge, pulsing lazily.

Finally.

He moves to investigate and finds that a flower’s petals are outlined by the throbbing glow. At first, the bitter taste of disappointment floods his tongue, but he realizes that the scent he’d caught just moments ago has become stronger now. Confusion knits his brow as he attempts to process this strange discovery. He should know better than to puzzle over the peculiarities of Beqanna, but he can’t help but wonder how the pink and white blossom, growing in the midst of a gloomy forest, can smell so richly of the ocean.

Kreation’s voice interrupts his thoughts. “…grab something and let’s go!” He shakes his head in an attempt to clear the mental fogginess that has befallen him. He glances briefly at her, bewilderment still in his eyes. He gives a slight nod and looks again to the tropical flora at his feet. He snags a mouthful, careful not to crush any of them between his teeth, and returns to where she stands, waiting. He gestures wordlessly to her, indicating that he is also ready to leave.

A twinkle of a smile lights his eyes as he watches the feline creature settles itself among the flesh and metal of her back. When everyone seems ready, he sets off toward the Meadow, where the questing party had agreed to meet when they’d gathered their pieces.

One can’t help but notice the bounce in his step as he goes.

--Martin Buber

image by HalwestIV

@Kreation

quest post #3
    word count: 745
    total count: 1,935
    objects: various colors of orchids + a mysterious unnamed flower