• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  lost in the labyrinth of my mind, kensley
    I was a dreamer before you went and let me down —
    She did not like to think about how broken the roads were they had each traveled.

For so long her twin had been her breath, her heartbeat, and when she had finally struck off on her own—following what she believed to be love, thinking that she could flush it out of the darkness—she had never dreamed the two of them would find themselves in such desperate states. She had given herself to a man over and over, trying to cultivate love in a blighted garden, letting him wear her down to something brittle and thin and lost. How long had she suffered alone in the heartache that he left her in, letting the world pass her by, letting Kensley and the rest of their family drift away from her?

Her solace when she had hidden herself away from the world was thinking Kensley was fine. That he had found love, he had a family, and he was on the path that he was meant to be on.

The realization that this was so far from the truth felt like a blade between her ribs, and she was so certain that the guilt would swallow her whole.

She finds herself looking at him now, nearly breathless with elation, but unable to keep herself from searching for the broken pieces. He is already different from the last time she had seen him, and she is afraid to ask what these changes meant; what kind of new scars were hiding within the fog? “Yes, I’m alive,” she says with a laugh, pressing into his embrace. “And so are you,” she says, softer now, pulling back just enough to touch her nose to his cheek, and this time there is nothing that she can do to hide the worry that shadows her face and seeps into her voice when she asks, “Are you alright?”
    KENNICE

@kensley

Messages In This Thread
    RE: lost in the labyrinth of my mind, kensley - by Kennice - 04-17-2023, 12:44 AM