• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i'll reach out my hands in the dark - famkee
    ‘I’m having a hard time believing you.’ She says.

Despite the flatness of her tone and stillness of expression, Malik smiles. Of course she’s struggling. Strangers to these strangest of lands find many things difficult to believe, and even Malik knows that this coincidence is odd even for Beqanna. He is content to credit Fate - whose hand has guided his family for generations - but Famkee has no reason at all.

So while smiling he is also shrugging his shoulders, acknowledging to the golden mare both that she makes a solid point, and that he’s no better explanation. “That would make more sense,” he agrees, “And I’ve no way to prove I’m telling the truth.” The choice of whether to believe or not is hers, and since he is (at least this time) without ulterior motive, he’s no intention of further convincing her. Doing so, pressuring her to believe him, would probably only backfire anyway.

The mare meeting his gaze with hard golden-and-brown eyes does not seem the type to give in to pressure. If he tried, she’s probably just leave. So instead he waits, turning his dark face up to the breeze as it rises. The cool wind ruffles the iridescent feathers along his neck, and tugs at his mane and tail.

When the sun breaks, he glances back at Famkee. She’s been illuminated by the winter light, and her golden pelt is brighter even than the watery sunlight. The brilliant jewels of her eyes have settled on him again, and though he cannot know what she intends to say, something about her seems settled - more determined than a moment ago.

At her request, his soft smile from earlier returns, this time quicker and accompanied by an amused chuckle.
    What’s in it for her, she’s asked; the same thing Malik thinks he would have if their situations were reversed. He knows his own value, and knows now that Famkee knows her own worth as well. This only confirms his earlier suspicion: she would be a good set of feet to add to the hunt.

“Formerly royal,” replies, emphasizing the first word. “The world has changed since I was a Prince.” He has little to offer save his own help, and knows it. “I don’t have much to offer beyond a place to rest your head in the Pampas, and a permanent home if…” he trails off into silence, but continues with only the briefest of pauses, pushing his own concern to the back of his mind “when. When Hyaline is recovered from the sea.”

@Famkee
    Now it’s my turn to apologize for the major delay D:

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i'll reach out my hands in the dark - famkee - by Malik - 09-13-2022, 06:59 AM