• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[challenge] I love the trouble and the trouble loves me; Mazikeen
    She had shifted in the midst of his attack, rendering it only partially successful. Reave would have huffed at that if he had the extra breath to do so. His talents are something of an art, and though he has practiced since he was a colt, his craft is far from perfect. He grimaces at the blur and quickly withdraws. He’d fix it for her later if her next shift didn’t do it for him. Right now however, it serves his purposes well enough.

Mazikeen is already coming for him again. His left side still thrums painfully in time with his heartbeat and blood trickles from his skin where it meets the glowing bone of his armor. Dirt cakes the crevices of his armor on his right side, gathered when he’d slid across the leafy loam.

Yet he grins, eager for more.

He is already moving when she reaches him. By the time she swipes, he has shifted to his right, head ducked as he pivots on his forehand so he can kick at her exposed chest and belly with his hind legs. Hopefully her momentum would carry her straight into the attack.

Reave hisses out a breath as her claws clatter across the end of his bruised, armored ribs, tearing briefly at skin before being deflected by the jut of bone on his hip. When his feet are back on the ground, he lurches forward with a laugh.

“Your wish is my command,” he manages, a crooked grin creasing his lips. With some distance between them, he turns, gaze seeking her out. In the form she had chosen, he has better maneuverability than she, though there’s no telling if she’d kept the shape of the bear in the wake of his attack. “You should know,” he continues quickly, wanting to get these words in before she comes at him again. “Even if you win today, I’ll try again. And again, if I must.”

He has no choice. Not really. Craft and Anatomy had chosen his mother. The grief of her disappearance threatens, but he swallows it down. Reclaiming the entity might not bring his mother back, but it would be something.

Blood may trickle down his side where her claws had ripped his skin, his ribs might throb with pain, but determination still lights his masked features. Reave has never minded losing. He hopes to win, but even loss presents him with an opportunity to learn and adapt. And if there is anything Reave excels at, it’s learning and adapting.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I love the trouble and the trouble loves me; Mazikeen - by Reave - 10-12-2021, 10:24 AM