• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  the only love i ever found, any
    ennis
    He trusts her, this fox-turned-filly, because trust comes to him like a reflex.
    (And perhaps this is why he had not initially thought to doubt his sister when she’d told him that she’d turned into the sun in the middle of the night. Because it has never occurred to him that anyone would lie to him.) 

Whatever the reason, he trusts that she will not tease him the way Anaise does. She will not throw her eyes open wide and tell him that he’s beginning to glow a vibrant yellow when he’s not. He lets her assurance further relax him, soothe his troubles, and he manages to summon up a breathless sort of grin. A grateful grin.

Thanks,” he says and he says it earnestly because he does not know yet how these things can be weaponized. (Though he has no reason to suspect that she might turn his sincerity against him anyway.) “I’ll let you know if you do, too,” he adds because the least he can do is return the favor.

He perks up at the mention of a younger sibling, his ears flicking forward and his expression brightening. Because, for all the grief his twin causes him, he cannot imagine what it would be like to wander the world alone. And maybe the fox-turned-filly prefers to be alone, but she speaks fondly of her impending sibling already and this softens him to her even further.

(For a moment, he even allows himself to wonder what it might be like to be her twin instead.)

He exhales a shaky kind of laugh and tries to seem more laidback than he actually is when he says, “I think it’ll be okay if it’s only on special occasions.” There is nothing convincing in this charade, especially not when he rolls one shoulder in a kind of shoulder that he works hard to make look unaffected. 

They’ll probably think it’s funny, maybe,” he adds, as if he has any authority to make any assumptions about her sibling and how they’ll react to friendly teasing. 

i see that scene, i hear that voice
    Hearts and flowers: my drugs of choice

@Sokali

Messages In This Thread
    the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 09-19-2021, 03:34 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 09-24-2021, 06:24 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 09-25-2021, 01:31 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 09-26-2021, 03:52 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 10-02-2021, 09:57 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 10-14-2021, 06:33 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 10-16-2021, 10:26 AM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 11-04-2021, 05:21 PM