• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  buried it where bones are buried
    FIRION

It does not occur to him that he answered the question wrong—that his puppeteer has such poor reading comprehension skills that he is saddled with—and so he doesn’t correct himself. Doesn’t go back and answer the why that she had originally asked him. He just watches her quietly, studying the way that she is carved of wind and ice and the storm that he helps bring to her now. He wants to know if she has always been this way, if she was born into the cold or carved from it, but it feels rude to ask.

He knows what it is like to inherit something that changes you entirely.

Both for the good and the bad, although even the good felt weighted.

So he keeps his questions for himself and just watches her instead, doing his best to not be cut on the sharpest of her edges. “I have before, in my own way,” he says and wonders if that’s true or if he has lied simply because he is too ignorant to do otherwise. He hopes that he has warned them. Hopes that they have been able to discern that is what he means by his actions—by the way that he pushes them so far.

“Not well enough though,” he amends and his mouth turns downward in the corners as he wrestles with this fact—this knowledge that he has not ever been good enough at warning them so that they might protect themselves from the disappointment that he inevitably brings. “I think they hope for the best.”

He manages a wry smile then, finding her cold face.

“But there is no best, unfortunately.”

so as our grief falls flat and hollow upon a billion blooded seas
    all our worst ideas are borrowed (you do and don't belong to me)

@camellia

Messages In This Thread
    buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 08-22-2021, 12:28 PM
    RE: buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 08-22-2021, 03:54 PM
    RE: buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 08-22-2021, 04:35 PM
    RE: buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 08-23-2021, 10:08 PM
    RE: buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 09-02-2021, 12:34 AM
    RE: buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 09-09-2021, 01:59 PM
    RE: buried it where bones are buried - by firion - 09-19-2021, 05:42 PM