• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  sitting pretty in the prime of life

the would-be queen

She hears him before she sees him, the rustling of leaves and sharp snap of twigs alerting her travel-muddied brain to his presence. Jade eyes lift towards the sound and she watches as he appears at the other side of the stream, an amalgamation of horse and shadow, a dark smudge against the bright backdrop of yellow-white sand and emerald leaves. But the shadow seems to glimmer, and at first she's not sure if it's the sun playing tricks on her eyes or — no, the gold markings impressed upon his coat are no trick of the light. They're nearly mesmerizing in the way they glimmer under the morning sun, accentuating his handsome features. He's undeniably attractive, but the vile words he spits her way do little to add to his appeal. He reminds her far too much of haughty kings and egotistical knights.

What a shame, she thinks, sky blue eyes meeting crimson red ones. They should scare her, and some little part of her mind knows that, but fear isn't what she feels when she looks at him, lips curled in a contemptuous smile.

No, instead irritation worms its way from within her chest, a nasty wriggling little thing that sets her own mouth into a defiant smirk. There's a sharpness to her gaze, a cutting edge to the way she glares at him from behind charcoal lashes. One, two, three more steps she takes into the water till it's brushing against her belly, its cool touch sending a shiver down her spine. More of the muck is washed from her coat, forgotten about in the steady currents. Djuna meets his gaze with an upward tilt of her head and opens her mouth. There's a retort perched on the precipice of her lips but before the words can tumble out another voice interjects, this one distinctively feminine.

Another shadow, this one smaller and more slight, metamorphoses from between the trunks of the trees. Djuna's gaze slides towards the mare, the vivid green of her mane and tail nearly blinding in their intensity. She makes Djuna think of the baronesses back home, regal in the way she carries her frame, and for a moment the horned mare almost does feel like a peasant.

Almost.

It takes only a few short strides to cross the remaining length of the stream, making a point to follow the onyx woman's lead and ignore the brute standing nearby.  "My heroine," she coos, saccharine but not entirely insincere. "I hope all the men in Beqanna aren't as terrible at first impressions." Whether it's meant to be a clever quip to the mare or an abrasive comment to the stallion isn't clear. Perhaps it's both, but she doesn't deign to provide clarification. "It seems the women certainly aren't." She smiles airily at Cheri before continuing, "I'm Djuna. I'm also a little lost, I think. Could you help me, Cheri?"

djuna

Image by VeerDesigns

@Obscene
    @Cheri
    sorry this took a hot minute to get up, work has been crazy!
    also i have literally no idea what the current tagging format is >_>

Messages In This Thread
    sitting pretty in the prime of life - by Djuna - 06-08-2021, 05:28 PM
    RE: sitting pretty in the prime of life - by Djuna - 06-14-2021, 04:45 PM