• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  you've been on my mind since the flood; riptide
    you've been on my mind since the flood

She does not know what it is like to be free, not really.

Her life begins and ends with the river. She wonders, sometimes, if she was made of it or it of her—and then she wonders if it matters. In the end, does any of it? Perhaps that is why she always tucks away such thoughts when they come to her, instead letting her body go loose and slipping back into the water. She does not have her mother’s gifts—does not remain as herself and simply breathe in the water as though it is air. Instead, she becomes the water. She dissolves until there are no boundaries. No edges to her.

She is that today.

Young and naive. Bubbling and serious. She lets herself be as many moods as her wondrous river and she chooses to view the endless freedom in the waters instead of the shackles of it.

She follows the tides, rushing along the currents, laughing in bubbles that rise a non-existent throat. When she is finally washed up on the banks, she takes her time gathering herself back together. Perhaps because she simply enjoys the frothing edges of her legs as they form but, more likely, because she is incapable of doing anything fast with these gifts. They come naturally, but that doesn’t mean they come easily.

When her moss-covered legs finally fold under herself, she lifts her red eyes upward, what should be a childish mane instead falling in small streams down her thin neck. She shakes and the water splashes and then reforms in that strange magic, liquid and movable and unending. There is laughter again, but it is soft as the evening and if there is a loneliness to it, she quickly tucks it away where even she cannot see it.

heaven help a fool who falls in love
    R I P T I D E
    He has not been back to Nerine in a few weeks, and while he was sure his parents would be worried, he still cannot bring himself to go back. He loved his family, and he knew he was lucky to be one of the rare few that had a family, but he had reached the age where he wanted to explore who he was, without them. He had become starkly aware that he hadn’t any idea who or what he was without the protection of his family; without his mother to relate to the snake-like parts of him, without his father to show him how to wield his water immunity and compare the frosted glint of their scales.

He is alien and strange without the similarities of his family to pull from, and for some reason this discomfort makes him want to hole away rather than go back to them.

The path that he follows along the riverbank is a deserted one, and for that he is thankful. He is in a pensive sort of mood, so lost in his thoughts that it makes his young face look older and more serious than he actually is. The angles of his face are already so sharp and reptilian that it does not take much for him to appear unapproachable, and with his lips pulled into a thin line it’s unlikely that anyone would try to talk to him to begin with.

He nearly stumbles over the young girl, causing him to draw back quickly with an irritated hiss and a nearly involuntary shake of his rattlesnake tail. “What are you doing?” His tone is sharper than he had intended, but after taking her in and realizing how small and young she was, he relaxes himself. “Sorry, I just didn’t see you there,” he apologizes hastily, trying to move on from his clear overreaction, and he offers her a tight-lipped smile.
    — i slithered here from eden just to sit outside your door —

@[hyperia]
    Hyperia
    YOU’VE BEEN ON MY MIND SINCE THE FLOOD
    She is surprised when the boy comes across her. When he jumps back, hissing and rattling his tail. Her red eyes widen slightly and she quickly pulls herself to her feet, the motion fluid and as graceful as possible. When she stands at her full height, which is still not tall, she draws her chin close, looking up through the water that forms over her forehead. “I was lying near the water,” she answers honestly, confusion passing over her features. She thought it was obvious what she was doing but perhaps she was mistaken.

After all, he wouldn’t have asked if it was clear.

If she is put off by the sharpness of his tone, she doesn’t show it. In truth, she’s so glad to see someone at all that she doesn’t mind that he doesn’t seem glad to see her. She has never been particular about the kind of visitors that she gets—just that she gets them. “It’s okay,” she assures him, unabashedly studying him. He was different from anyone she had ever seen before and she had no idea whether it was rude or not to stare, but she couldn’t help herself. She wanted to learn everything there was to know about him.

“I do love getting visitors,” she says with a shy smile, tipping her head up slightly so that she can get a better look of him. “And you’re so different from anyone I’ve ever met before.”

A watery laugh as her smile brightens slightly.

“I’m Hyperia.”
    HEAVEN HELP THE FOOL WHO FALLS IN LOVE

@[Riptide]
    R I P T I D E
    The moment he registers the confusion on her face—likely wondering why this stranger was snapping at her for no reason—he feels shame crawl up the back of his throat, and he tries to swallow the bitter taste of it away.

He is not always so sharp and irritable, but days like today, with nothing but his own thoughts to keep him company, he always finds himself especially defensive. It is too easy for every thought to warp itself into something negative—to briefly lock eyes with a stranger and wonder about all the terrible things they must think when they see his oddly shaped face, and the rattles at the end of his tail. He was not always so self-conscious, but days like today were able to get the better of him.

“I should have been paying closer attention,” he says, his voice far more affable than it had been before. She was small, and obviously young. He thought of if someone had snapped at Katarine like he just did to this girl and he feels the guilt knot in his chest again. He notes the way the water drips from her, how she seems to be made of it, rather than simply covered in it, and he feels his own curiosity rise.

It is almost extinguished when she tells him that he is different.
    The frost of his scales almost seem to harden in response, his jaw tensing as he bites back the urge to tell her, I know.

His tail flicks, the rattles vibrating against one another, but he pushes the urge to be defensive aside by forcing out a short laugh. “Yeah, I get that a lot. It’s the tail,” he says with a crooked smile and a tilt of his snake-like head, his reptilian eyes lighting a spark of brief humor.

“My name is Riptide,” he tells her after she says her own name, and, suddenly aware of how odd his watery name must sound to someone like her—someone with threads of water that hung where a mane should be—he explains, “My dad is a kelpie. My mom let him name me. I don’t think he noticed I took after her and not him.”
    — i slithered here from eden just to sit outside your door —

@[hyperia]