• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

where the sea and sky collide

Anuya hadn’t really bothered to explore much of Beqanna. Most of it looked the same - just different variations of rocks and trees and grass with different variations of the small-eared horses that called this place home. So what did it matter if she was going to try to complete her quest in the Meadow or if it was somewhere else?

Except, well, she felt like she had just about kicked all the rocks in the Meadow and near the River so now she was drifting. Searching for something that she could move that felt worthwhile enough to return to the Mountain and tell them that she'd done the hard work and now she'd very much like to be able to move things the easy way - with her mind - once more. 

It’s late in the day when she thinks, maybe, possibly, she’s in a new land where the rocks and trees are a little different than some of the other places she’s been. Maybe.

Her ears twitch at the sound of the nearby ocean, at least, and that’s a little different. 

And the sheep she can see grazing catch her attention. She regards them, standing about as still as she’s possible of - which is not very. Her long tail twitches behind her and her ears move with the sounds of the sea and the weird looking sheep and she comments to herself “I bet I can move one of those.”

oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
    oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Skellri

@[Noel] you can also reply with Reave if that makes more sense but the damn rock sheep got me

Noel had never been terribly good at heeding borders, even before she had unconsciously settled in the deep forests of Taiga. She had often found herself on the cliffs overlooking Nerine’s rocky beaches, peering in puzzlement as vague memories replayed in her mind. She still does, though her thoughts linger far more often on her children (and their father) than the childhood she had left in the dust long ago.

She supposes it hardly matters, in any case. With Nash’s brother now leading the moorlands (a fact she still struggles to wrap her head around. He is the same age as her twin daughters, and they seem hardly old enough for such responsibility, though she can’t admit to knowing him particularly well), she’s quite certain no one really cares that she still wanders the cliffs on a fairly regular basis.

They are particularly good for flight, as it happens.

That is just what is on her mind today in fact, when she finds herself peering at an unfamiliar form. She draws slowly to a halt, staring with faint consternation at the figure whose attention seems captured by a flock of stone sheep. Her glowing footsteps (which, to her surprise and chagrin, had appeared when the sun returned) fade slowly into obscurity behind her.

Noel is considering quietly moving away to leave the other woman to her own musings when her voice, clearly muttered to no one in particular, drifts to her on the slight breeze. She almost laughs at the sentiment. Deciding she would be remiss if she didn’t warn her (her own children had already tried and failed to herd the stubborn beasts), she moves forward to a more conversational distance. “I wouldn’t,” she replies, wry amusement in the low tones of her voice. “Unless you enjoy bruised knees.”

- noel

@[Anuya]

Anuya was just working herself up to go and approach the strange sheep, see if she could bully one into moving a few steps one way or another, when a voice draws her attention. Her long ears droop a little in disappointment as she glances between the white mare and the sheep. “Oh.” But she is just impulsive enough for another reaction to be right on that syllable’s heels as a grin reforms, lighting up her turquoise eyes. “Well. It might be worth it.”

But she’d be a fool not to take the advice of someone who had tried (not that being a fool had ever stopped her before). So she returns her attention back to the winged mare, disappointment fading away completely as curiosity takes over. “Have you tried?”

Other questions come to her mind then as she looks at the stranger, though she’s more interested in the sheep so she doesn’t ask out loud if this mare us related to Aureus. They both have a white coat and Anuya wonders whether colour means anything here like it did in the courts she grew up with. Every family looking not quite identical but similar to each other, following the theme of whatever court they lived in like some magic was making sure that no one in the night court looked too sunny. So did the fact that this stranger looked like her friend mean they were related? Or were genetics here a little more lawless? She certainly had noticed how she fit in with her star-decorated coat among strangers.

artwork by Skellri

@[Noel]

The other woman’s disappointment does not seem to last long, instead swiftly giving way to renewed determination. Noel tilts her head slightly, quietly considering this small revelation. It seemed very like her children, that dedication to seeing things through even if it is a terrible idea. She’s not quite sure where they had gotten that from (she’s also not quite ready to admit her own mulish stubbornness).

A faint smile tugs briefly at the corners of her lips when the star-studded mare asks if she tried. Noel answers honestly. “No, but my children have.” She pauses briefly as she recalls the day, smile deepening as she does so. “It was a rather funny spectacle, and an utter failure.”

Noel has just enough mischievousness in her that she does not leave it at that however. The sheep might not be easily prodded to move by equine hooves, but she does have another idea that might bear consideration. Shifting slightly, her gaze turns to a small crop of hills just visible past the stony cliffs. After a moment, she returns her attention to Anuya, expression speculative.

“If you truly wish to get them moving,” she gestures vaguely in the direction of the hills as she speaks, “you would be far better off luring the cloud sheep this way.” Dark eyes gleaming with a light-hearted sort of playfulness she hasn’t truly felt in a long time, she watches the stranger with a well-concealed mixture of curiosity and anticipation. “I could help if you like.” She pauses before adding almost as an afterthought, “I’m Noel, by the way.”

- noel

@[Anuya]

It does not bother Anuya at all to know that her intentions are along the same lines of the children of this mare. She still felt young, she still isn’t quite sure she’s grown up yet - even after five decades.

Clearly, when her first instinct when she sees a bunch of sheep that are clearly not regular sheep is that she can run head-first into the flock and get them to move.

She is delighted, however, that despite having children (motherhood is something Anuya associates with maturity and therefore with being incredibly boring) that this winged mare offers another suggestion, one that won’t end in utter failure and bruised knees, and also offers to help too. She had just been told to move things, not how she was supposed to move them. It left an awful lot up to interpretation.

And it is a special pleasure to find someone with a little bit of mischief in them - Anuya rather thought that there wasn’t enough fun in the world and it is very exciting to not be the only one who wants to have some of it. That excitement prickles at her skin and her turquoise eyes dance as they stray between the sheep and the mare. She answers the introduction first, since that feels polite. “I’m Anuya.” And then moves right on to the most important part: “And I'd love some help. How do we get them to move?”

artwork by Skellri

@[Noel]

Though Noel had never truly been as light-hearted and carefree as her children - even as a child herself - she still enjoys forgetting that from time to time. In her far more introspective moods, she can admit that it was Nashua who had shown her how to do so. Before, she had been far less given to playful banter or youthful spirit. Before, she had spent so much of her time wondering what it was that was missing from her life.

Now, though she still frequently spirits away to find solace in the skies, she is happy to be able to return in the evenings to the small corner of Taiga they had carved out for their family. And if a small part of her fears that could one day disappear, she keeps it very carefully hidden where no one would ever guess.

Perhaps this is not flying, but it is turning out to be equally as diverting. As Anuya accepts her help, Noel turns a far more contemplative gaze to the rock sheep. “They really do not care for the cloud sheep.” An almost sly expression begins to creep on her features as she looks briefly back at the fae mare. “Bringing them over here will almost certainly start a fight.” She chuckles then, unable to help herself. “But they will move.”

She moves then in the direction she had indicated earlier, hooves leaving glowing imprints with each step. She waits for Anuya before continuing, her voice growing softer as they near. “These guys are much more… skittish.” She tosses her new companion an amused glance. “But that does make them easier to move.”

- noel

@[Anuya]

A fight between clouds and rocks is… interesting. Anuya’s curiosity is absolutely grabbed and she cannot immediately state which one she thinks will win. But so long as they move, the winner doesn’t matter so much. She follows Noel without hesitation - at first. The fae wastes a few seconds trying not to step on the glowing hoofprints that appear in the wake of the pegasus. Not wanting to disturb such pretty things.

This method of following Noel proves to be significantly harder than strictly necessary and she abandons it quickly.

Her ears twitch and she matches the other mare’s amused glance. “Skittish, you say?” Anuya has a mind made more mischief and she’s already got a few ideas. “I don’t mean to brag but I have made many a stranger wince with my obnoxious shouting.” Particularly boys, now that she’s thinking about it - Aureus, Gravitas, Riptide. If nothing else she’ll be very successful at scaring the male sheep.

This would be a perfect opportunity to flex the very power she is trying to obtain by being on this quest. But rather than sulking about that bit of irony it just makes her want to come back here in the future. She can compare the success today with that future point.

That's something to think about later - right now she's focused on the current plan. No point in deviating from her skillset so she states in a thoughtful tone “I’m inclined to shout, since that’s what I’m good at. What are you gonna do to spook them?”

artwork by Skellri

@[Noel]

Noel watches Anuya out of the corner of her eye, faintly amused at the way she initially tries to avoid stepping on the glowing imprints she leaves behind. The pegasus had been befuddled when they first appeared, not quite sure why she suddenly left a glowing trail behind her everywhere she went. It would undoubtedly have been amusing to an outsider watching her on one of those first days, tiptoeing gingerly as though she could avoid leaving prints, then stomping wildly in effort for the opposite. Finally she had simply grown used to them, though she hadn’t quite reached the point of ignoring the oddity yet.

As they stare at the sheep, Anuya musing beside her as she considers how best to scare them, Noel considers them quietly. She doesn’t interrupt, instead waiting until her companion has decided how she wishes to do her part. When she asks how Noel will scare them, the pale mare shifts her gaze to the fae, a bemused expressions settling over her features. Lifting her wings slightly, she replies, “With these, I expect.”

Their plan, vague as it is, finally settled, Noel moves around the small herd to flank them. With Anuya in one corner and Noel in the other, they would, with luck, have sufficient coverage to drive them in the direction of the rock sheep. Dark eyes shifting briefly to Anuya, she waits until she is fairly certain the other woman is ready before she charges forward.

Topping the small rise, wings flapping chaotically, she watches the sheep startle, releasing displeased bleats as they begin to scamper away. Their fluffy pelts darken with their alarm, lightning crackling like miniature storms beneath their cloud-wool. Unconsciously, a smile takes shape on Noel’s lips, a rare and almost childish light brightening her gaze as she chases after them on an even rarer laugh.

- noel

@[Anuya]

Wings! Those certainly are helpful appendages, aren’t they? Anuya remembers what it’s like to fly - but she had never flown as a horse before. She used to be able to shapeshift into a small bird - and maybe that will be the next thing she goes to harass these Beqanna fairies about. That would also be a handy skill for getting these sheep to move, darting around them like she used to dart around and harass her siblings.

Excitement courses through her star-speckled body as she moves to the opposite side of her herd and she can barely stand still long enough for that look that lets her know Noel is ready.

She comes to the crest of the rise, shouting incoherent nonsense as her companion flaps her white wings. Laughter interrupts her frequently as she takes in the startled sheep and how they turn into small thunderstorms in their disgruntled state as they turn and run from the two mares.

A whoop of delight escapes her as they run, herding the strange cloud sheep to the other even stranger rock sheep. Chaos breaks out as the two flocks merge with each other and soon sheep of all densities are scattered across the Nerine landscape - some of them doubling back towards them. Anuya skitters to a stop, eyeing her initial targets - the rock sheep - and noticing how very… well, rock solid they look as their fear and anger at being disturbed sends a good number of them her way.

“Uhh what’s that you said about bruised knees again?” She shouts at Noel before dancing out of the way of a few and then finally running the other direction, breathless with laughter the entire time.

artwork by Skellri

@Noel

Despite their rather haphazard plan, they seem to have developed an understanding of one another in the short span of time they have been acquainted. They move nearly simultaneously in their effort to drive the stormy sheep forward, Anuya’s loud whooping overlaying the soft laugh from Noel’s lips. There is something of pure delight in the moment. Childish perhaps, but a simple joy that Noel has had so little of in her life until recently.

Until Nash. Noel is not sure she would have found herself doing this before she met him. He had unlocked something inside her. Something that allows her to truly live - to find this sort of delight.

The two flocks clash in a barrage of bleating and lightning and thundering of stone hooves. They seem to burst apart as the two meet, flurries of stormy and stoney bodies breaking off as they run and butt one another in the midst of all that wild bleating. Glancing over at her companion, Noel finds Anuya with laughter on her face, brightness gleaming in her fae eyes.

Noel can’t seem to help the smile that blooms on her own mouth in response.

A group of rock sheep break off, running directly for them. Noel hears the other woman’s shouted question, but she finds herself unable to answer as she too is forced to scramble. A few hearty beats of her wings lift her from the ground, hooves scraping against stone wool as she struggles to rise above them with so little momentum to start.

Soon enough she has gained height however. Tipping, she banks sideways, wings flapping strongly as she follows Anuya, amused grin still on her lips. Breezing easily overhead, she peers down at the fae woman, features creased with silent laughter. “I hope your knees have survived.”

- noel

@Anuya