• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  it's like we're on our own to figure it out | mazikeen
    Gale
    this is going to break me clean in two --
    this is going to bring me close to you

The heat of her emotions illuminates her face, and it watches as her bright eyes and the bold, sharp lines of her face begin to glow. The longer she is quiet, the brighter she becomes, and the Curse’s knowing smiles grows ever more content.

It knows that she is clever, knows that she well might be planning something devious this very moment. Unfortunate that Gale had taken to someone with wits as well as beauty, but there is little that the Curse does better than wreck and ruin the bonds of love. It will need to rid itself of Mazikeen once the twins are born, but it hasn’t quite figured out how. Is she is thinking of ways to stop it, the Curse wonders?

But no: she wants to argue its version of events, which elicits a roll of Gale’s blue eyes. Maybe what she says is the truth; it doesn’t care. Gale is the only reason it is honest, and Gale is grappling in ways that would turn his physical body inside out and has stopped listening entirely. Each time the Curse shoves him back down, the darkness at the bottom of wherever he is inside himself grows a little closer.

How long before he falls in, Gale wonders?
    How long does he have before there will be no more coming back to himself?

Meanwhile, the Curse keeps a scrap of attention on holding Gale down, and the rest on Mazikeen who has just asked what it might want. Can she glow any brighter?

“The children.” Though it does not look to her belly, there is no doubt who it means. Its voice is casual, as though dealing in bodies is no strange thing. It isn’t, after all; this is neither the first nor the last body it will wear.

The Curse is very fond of this body though, with its shifting and its healing and its Sight, and it’s always easier to fit back into the same bloodline. And children are the very best bodies; they are too young for a personality change to be anything serious, and their families never grow suspicious.

Suspicions are things the Curse prefers to do without, and the temptation of a fresh shape (one with these same abilities it has grown so fond of) is exceptionally strong.

“I’d even take just one if you let me pick, but for them both I’ll even do you the favor of keeping this our little secret from Gale.” It winks, a very charming expression despite the trade that has just been proposed.

@[Mazikeen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: it's like we're on our own to figure it out | mazikeen - by Gale - 05-04-2021, 07:48 PM