• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I just need a change again [Oceane]

oceane
    a little white light
    in a sea gone black

The darkness in itself, and despite how very long it had stretched, had not scared Oceane. What had truly made it impossible for her to sleep was the possibility for dreadful things to happen to Loess and those who call it home. Countless nights had come and gone where she had been so sure that Breach (much more suited for the darkness than Oceane was, that one) was on her way with her pack to draw blood for Oceane's actions.

And so sure was she, when finally she was able to sleep, that she would awaken at the tail end of a nightmare to the presence of a Nau-Aibian arithmancer from her past only to fall into their torturous clutches once again. The dark can hide many things, she had come to learn, and the worst of all were her very own thoughts.

She tries to loosen the muscles at her shoulder and the tightness in her jaw as she continues to engage Ledger in a conversation about the canyons they have now arrived in, but her body will not listen and perhaps, without realizing, she is feeding off the anxiety that her companion now exudes. Fortunately, and despite his own nerves, Ledger still finds an opening for banter and the Loessian Queen responds with a genuine bout of laughter that seems to echo against the carmine canyon walls.

“I can't talk to them the same way I can talk to the other animals,” she answers truthfully, revealing the nature of her own magic, “Which... isn't the best reason, but I suppose it makes them seem less sentient.” She realizes as she says it that her rationale could seem barbaric, prompting an awkward and dismissive clearing of her throat as she turns her amber eyes to the flaxen chestnut who stands illuminated by the moon and the bioluminescent flowers alike.

She doesn't miss the way he keeps his own gaze turned from her, though any worry she feels regarding her response is soon brushed away as the man begins to offer his thanks. Respectfully, the opaline woman allows him to finished speaking but when he does she simply offers him the response she would have hoped to hear all those years ago, when she'd first run away from home. “There is no debt to be repaid.” She hopes he can hear the truth in her words and in the cadence of her dismissiveness. “What are we, without community? We all deserve to feel part of something without the weight of obligation or debts owed upon our shoulders.”

She falls silent beside him then, listening to the sounds of Loess with contentment. Ledger's question feels sudden, catching the sovereign unaware, but after a moment of thought she answers. “Not fully. They deserve to know we have someone new in our midst, though I will tell them you prefer your privacy. Your ability to shift is your information to share if you choose,” she assures him before waiting to see if his one-eyed gaze will meet hers again.

@[Ledger]
    “”

n | v
    i must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    and all i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

Messages In This Thread
    I just need a change again [Oceane] - by Ledger - 04-27-2021, 09:37 PM
    RE: I just need a change again [Oceane] - by Oceane - 04-30-2021, 09:46 PM