• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open]  that's all i've got to say, any

YOU'RE ONLY AS SICK AS YOUR SECRETS

The light had returned.

And with it, so had the stirrings of life.

Even in Pangea - in the place that so many considered a barren wasteland - even the country that the Dark God had crafted, had come alive again. The acacia trees had sprouted leaves again. Small patches of earth had yielded green grazing grounds. The sun shone and for once in her short life, Aela didn't mind allowing something to glow brighter than her.

For a time, this was enough for the striped girl.

But Aela is no more able to stay still than the sun is. Just like its rise and fall, the palomino had begun to look at the horizon and wonder how the rest of Beqanna fared. (Not for their benefit but hers; to remain unaware was a disadvantage that her grandmother had always cautioned her against.) So the days dawned and the world warmed. What might have been spring turned into a sweltering summer in Pangea and Aela slipped quietly from the borders of her canyon home on a rather bright morning that told her that there was too much promise to wait for.

So she goes searching for it.

That's when the first whispers had reached her golden ears. With the return of the light had been the return of others; horses that had ventured to the Mountain and found a way to bring the sun back. It was interesting but what held her interest more were the rumors of what the North was doing. It would seem that their leader was throwing open the borders and letting the rest of the world in.

Aela shouldn't.

Oh, she shouldn't but there is a flicker of defiance in her breast. Another voice tells her she should and this is the one that the young mare follows. It takes her towards the North, past the Taigan Redwoods, and towards the jagged Nerinian coastline of the kingdom that Heartfire once ruled. There are no wings against Aela's side so as she gazes across the gray ocean, she frowns. The Isle hosts a festival with no way to get visitors across?

How very like the Northerner's, she thinks with an aggravated flare of her nostrils.

If there are any festivities to be had, they will find a way to keep it all to themselves.

Her invitation comes in the shape of a young filly, silver-black and blue-eyed and smiling openly at Aela. The palomino has been a great mimic from the beginning so she beams back at the girl. Lilliana's lost daughter asks the other, "Forgive me, but I'm trying to get to the Isle for the festival." And because the other is entirely her mother's daughter, Roselin smiles at the sibling she doesn't know is hers. "Come," says the younger girl and leads her towards the Taigan border where a portal had been crafted for the forest-dwelling residents. The magic that surrounds them is overwhelming and wonderful and intoxicating; the lovely smile that Aela gives the stranger is genuine when they are whisked to the frozen shore of the Isle.

"Thank you," she says to the filly before departing and leaving her behind.

Her blue eyes glance across the frozen landscape (and Aela isn't aware of how much she looks like Lilliana, the mother she has never known), lingering on the horizon. She is golden and blue-eyed and smiling when she turns her blazed head to look behind her, playing the part of merry-making instead of the mischief that she envisions. "I don't know where to start," she tells the approaching stranger with a breathless laugh. "Any suggestions?"

Leilan
    For all that she looks like her mother, it is her brother that he first recognizes her by; the sibling she never met may be winged, but they look very much the same to the scaled roan. Then, as soon as he focuses on her and how come he never met her, follows her bloodline, it becomes clear to him that she is a lost daughter, and that she indeed is a full sibling to the striped winged hersir of this Isle.

Which could mean trouble if not managed, so, he manages.

”Aela,” he picks the name from the magic of memories that she carries on her skin. ”Welcome home.” A small smile follows, but she probably doesn’t know him and maybe that’s for the best. ”If you came for festivities, any place is a good start. If you came for family, you just let one slip.” The suggestion is there for her to pick up on, but he somehow doesn’t think that she came just to meet more family members. A small smile is on his face as the molten silver in his eyes makes way for some neutral icy blue, one ear towards her and one towards the crowd in general as he makes a stop alongside her, looking over the crowd. ”Pangea, hmm?” It’s all over her scent. Interesting, that of all places she could have made her home at, it must be there. ”Why there?” the new magician asks the girl, hoping to be answered instead of having to dig for it. The magic at his grasp is strong here, and tempting to just have it dive into her skull like it has fed on her own magic of memories, but this time he holds it in. He is vaguely aware of how much he hated for his own mind to be read. How he only let the spotted mare in to show her what he couldn’t tell her in words.

So no, he shouldn’t drill into @[Aela]’s memories. She has given him no reason to, after all. So far.
    I see this life like a swinging vine
    swing my heart across the line
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

The bright smile on her blazed face fades as soon as the Magician speaks her name.

(Aela has spent enough time in the company of horses like Eight and Straia and Beyza to know Magic when it grazes across her golden skin, when it picks and prods at her mind.) The young mare doesn't quite scowl but she had hoped to attend this event without being recognized. Ah, well. If wishes were horses -

Well, she thinks. Perhaps they are.
    She hasn't completely dismissed this excursion yet.

"Home?" she asks the bay roan. "I haven't lived in the North for some time." Her expression does shift then and the palomino nearly purrs the words: "though I'm flattered you still remember me."

Her blue eyes trace over his shape (because every memory is an opportunity and a meeting with a dragon is one she doesn't intend to waste) and the young mare tilts her face to his, a picture of innocence.

Sensing the way that he tries to figure her out - (Pangea, hmm?) - and glancing at the ice maze, Aela's smile turns radiant. He could take it from her- her memories, her thoughts. That is always the upper-hoof with Magicians. But most have spent at least a century with that kind of absolute power and if there something that Aela has gleaned about the Immortals is that even absolute power becomes dull.

"How about this," she offers to the Freyr, willing to play the spark. A dimple forms in her left cheek and Aela peers up at him from beneath her flaxen forelock. "You could accompany me to the maze," she explains with a playful blue gaze, "and for every dead-end we find, I'll answer your questions. For every reflection we get caught in, you tell me something of you."

@[Leilan]
    Leilan
    The ice dragon, now magician, honestly has far less control than Aela assumes - and spent far less time being bored than, say, Straia has. Or Eight, for that matter, as the man is his great-great something. 'Home' had therefore been more of a joke than anything else, knowing that he has never seen her, but that if Lilli is her mother and Bane her father, then at least she should have lived here for a while.

She sort of confirms the latter, though the memory magic that he seeps most of his information from, displays another face - two, actually. One of a mare he barely knows, who has nursed her; and one that he does, her icy blue eyes having that very familiar stare right into his soul. Oh, but Heartfire sure will see his amused face later, he thinks. She only has to reach out.

Right now, though, his niece isn't around to make a sharp comment on his rudeness, so he can get away with it for a bit.

"Deal," he tells the young mare because he has avoided boredom all his life, at every cost. Not that he is extremely bored now; and as a new player to the game of magic he would probably find it interesting to test more of his mind-managing abilities. But she seems to be made of the same kind of wood. She doesn't want to be bored, and adding a game of chance to the conversation would certainly keep it interesting. "One thing though. You have to go first and lead; I built that." It would be so easy to cheat, but really, in that case he could just leech off her memory-trait some more and find all the answers he needs. Besides, he still could, technically, make it a living maze.

But for now, such antics aren't needed. @[Aela] hasn't asked personal questions yet, and even if she does, he doubts that there are enough dead ends for her to truly get every answer that she wants.

As they move in the direction of the maze, he figures she'll have to come back a few times for that.
    |

Aela hadn't quite thought that a Magician would be so willing to agree to her proposition but here she is, taking a few measured steps towards the ice maze with the Freyr of the entire North as her companion. It wasn't an entirely bad start to her time here and even if this festival lacks the entertainment that Aela is seeking, something in her thinks that the Dragon Lord might compensate well enough.

"Did you?" she counters with a bemused expression to Leilan when he boasts that he had built the ice maze. It's not an easy feat but not entirely daring, she thinks, for a land surrounded by it.

But Aela leads easily enough because she has never been the kind of mare keen to follow anyone. If anything, the way she steps out in front of the bay roan attests to this. The palomino is accustomed to others following her and her confident stride speaks louder than anything she might have said.

The first few rounds of the maze doesn't reveal much; a dead-end comes quicker than she anticipated. However, Aela had made a deal and she expects Leilan to keep his end of the bargain so she must keep hers. When they reach the first blocked path, the gold-striped girl glances at the draft stallion. Her expression is not an amused one but Aela lifts her head and gives what she has agreed to. "I chose Pangea because it was nothing like the North," she explains to Leilan. She feels like that is enough of an explanation for the dragon-shifter so that she doesn't need to add that her nurse-mother has taken up residence there. That Pangea is where Beyza and Kensley live and so it makes the canyon territory feel the most like home for Aela.

They turn around and travel through a few more paths until a plane of smooth ice is revealed. An image of the scaled stallion and the young mare turns her blazed face towards the Freyr, beaming at their reflection as her blue eyes catch it. She makes this still seem like such a silly game when she asks, "tell me something about you nobody else knows."

@[Leilan]
    Leilan
    Leilan doesn’t comment on @[Aela]’s almost sarcastic way of asking “did you”, swinging only an ear in her direction as they approach the maze. The fact was that it was just a fact, and as an added bonus, even if he hadn’t remembered every single pathway, he could feel where each and every slate of ice was placed regardless. It was pure logic to let her lead; a trait so ingrained in her that he can’t help a little smirk when she goes forward without questioning it or looking behind, assuming he is following.

When they reach their first dead end, she finally answers his first question - nothing like the north, Ah, such a rebellious child. He bites his lip so as not to chuckle, finding it quite hilarious that she had felt the need to physically distance herself from her family in order to grow, but he refrains. His eyes may or may not be sparkling impishly with a green gleam, but thankfully the deal was a dead end, not a reflection, so there’s a good chance she misses it as they turn around.

The next obstacle is a mirroring plate of ice, and she asks a sly question. At that, he tilts his head with amusement. Did she think he had many secrets? He almost tells her he wears his heart on his sleeve, but that isn’t an answer to the question, because anyone who’s gotten to know him already knows this. Instead, he mulls it over, then shrugs. ”I like you, Aela.” he decides and then grins. After all, it is something he had only determined just now, so nobody else could know in this moment.

Perhaps it’s petty, but he motions his head for them to continue. ”I only have one more question for now,” the magician says. Of course there are hundreds of questions regarding Straia or Pangea that he could ask her, or even about the bond she seems to share with his niece - though he could technically ask her herself, too - but it’s only one that he wants answered right now, to get a feel for her.

”Why did you come here today?”
    |

Aela doesn't remember much of @[Leilan] (though he shouldn't take offense to that, she barely remembers anybody outside of Kota and Heartfire from her time in the North). What she does remember are those few terrifying moments - when she had still been young enough to feel fear - of his bronze scales glinting overhead the Taigan forest, of the beat of his large dragon-wings as he attempted to land somewhere in the Redwood forest. These had become a few of her more favorite memories - ones she used to terrifying monsters and innocents alike.

But when he is made of simply horseflesh, the palomino finds there is little to be terrified of.

When he admits to liking her, Aela turns her head to peer up at the Northern Lord. "Well," she murmurs with a small smile, "what isn't there to like?" It deepens a little, revealing the dimple that she shares with her birth mother. "Lovely, intelligent, -" her blue eyes seem to share the impish glint of their current conversation, "and humble." Aela tells him and then turns her attention to finding the next mirrored panel. A delicate ear flicks towards him as she continues to walk ahead, waiting to see if the draft stallion might have something to add.

It's the question that she's been trapped into that stops her.

She contemplates lying. It wouldn't be the first time for Aela. The end always justifies the means with her. And if she had to lie to gain something, she might have. But their deal had been to speak the truth. And that gnaws on her in some way - settles somewhere between her ribs and her heart - that they had made an agreement. She might call on him, someday, she thinks. He is a Dragon and therefore powerful; having his favor might be useful.

Really, everything was in his clutches, if his talons were willing to reach for them.

So with a sigh and a stop, Aela's expression turns cold, much like the ice they were surrounded by. "I was looking for someone," she admits, the only time that she has ever spoken aloud that Aela is searching for Skandar. Her blue eyes fix on a plane of ice that reveal nothing, not even her reflection (and how there is very much a mortal-like emotion of ire burning through her veins when she says this). "Pathetic," she deems of herself, while her pretty mouth purses into a line of disapproval. "To be looking for someone who doesn't want to be found."

When a reflection doesn't manifest along the wall she peers at, an ear flicks towards Leilan and then Aela glances at the Freyr. There isn't a mirror along this panel but she asks anyway (because among dragons and mortals and men alike, they are all her equal so she is entitled to question the Northern King): "why did you throw this Festival?"

Leilan
    It’s one of the things he likes about her, he thinks - she has no low self esteem, and knows what’s she’s worth. Of course, humble is a description he doesn’t apply to her, but by her tone, he doesn’t think she really does, either.

Her blue eyes get an impish tone and he wishes he hadn’t seen that, because it reminds him of her mother more than the rest of her looks. Still, she is already turning, so he also reminds himself that she didn’t show memories of her biological dam, and he doesn’t want to press it unto her. Besides, his curiosity is burning enough, and when she says ‘looking for someone’, he understands the underlying tone of that ‘someone’. Her bitter notion that they don’t want to be found only amplifies his suspicions. She doesn’t want his help in searching, so he doesn’t pry in the who or what. ”If they were easy to find, they wouldn’t be interesting enough to look for.” he says, but doesn’t expect an answer. She has to deal with her emotions on her own. And he has long since learned to leave untouched those things that he doesn’t want ripped open or apart.

They travel in silence until they come upon another reflection, and she asks her question. Why the Festival? Why indeed. ”There’s more than one reason.” he tilts his head to gauge her, but of course she wants all of them. ”Icicle Isle still bears the scorch marks of a burning, but the world needed to see we’re no longer just a burnt cold rock in the sea, for one. It’s been a rough idea before the Eclipse happened, and the sun returning is a good excuse. Second, I needed an outlet for the new magic. And...” he shrugs, she might as well know. ”Sometimes it’s easier to make a lot of ruckus and hope for the other to come to you, instead of searching the lands one by one.”

@[Aela] pfft it’s only been 9 days haha
    |