• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  My burning sun will someday rise // any
    She has led a simple life.

She was the quiet shadow of a silent father, an observer, and a learner.

But now she was no longer a girl, something it had taken her longer than most to realize. But in her own time, she had realized it, and she had realized she wanted something more. When she told her father she would be leaving she hadn't known what to expect. She wondered if he would be angry, if he would be hurt or cold. But none of that happened. He agreed, quietly and rather indifferently.

She had set out the next dawn.

Now, Sumara had been on the move all day, navigating the darkness the best she could without the comfort of her beloved flames, and still, she didn't know what she was looking for. Frustration bubbles in her chest, some childish part of her had assumed her fate would immediately find her when she left Tephra, and now it was just more of the same.

She tries again to summon the fire she had so easily manipulated before the eclipse. A wisp of a flame materializes in front of her and she feeds her magic into it, she pushes with enough energy that would have set the world ablaze around her in the times before, but it only flickers and begins to dwindle.

Her frustration turns to something close to rage, and she flings the little spark into the dust where it dies. One long, impossibly black leg strikes the place where it had landed. The dark mare stands, her ribs rising and falling in the stillness, and wonders where the hell she is supposed to go.

i am catching my shadows like that
    the falling of forms, light making fantasies

Ilanya hasn’t known much of life beyond this unyielding darkness and her mother. When apart, the rainbows in her hair go untouched, unplayed with, and lay dormant like crystals dug into the earth. She misses her mother, but the world is wide and she has seen so little of it. She wants to explore.

In the distance, mountains shrouded in mist come together like angled, bony hands, cupping the world in their palms. There is no sunlight to shine off of them; they are but vague, far away shadows. Clouds roll serpentine and opaque up over fields of grass. There is a constant feeling of damp, wet dew on the ground, and Iyanla can barely see the outlines of hills in the darkness.

She is distracted from the heavy despondency of the permanent dark by a flicker of light. Curious, she moves along on spindly young-legs as the light flashes and flares again. She is so focused on following the light she doesn’t stop until she is almost struck by a blackened pinion, which digs the earth in disgust. Ilanya makes a noise of surprise and stumbles backwards, realizing there was another person there with them, just black as night and barely visible in the gloom.

A childlike positivity streaks through her. “I can do that too!” She cries in glee, and, fear forgotten, jumps up, and conjures a small, warm flame just beyond the tip of her nose, licking the air like a disturbed candle. Once she’s satisfied the stranger has seen it, she snuffs it with a sigh.

“My name is Ilanya. Who’re you?”with the absence of the light, the night is even darker now, and she can’t see the stranger at all. She can smell her, though, and hear her breathing, and that’s how she knows she hasn’t disappeared.

@[Sumara] | "Speech!" | i have not played a babychild in ten million years.
    Her frustration is replaced by surprise, and briefly, dread as she hears steps in the dark - steps so close that whatever was making them must be close enough to touch her. But a young voice, musical in its excitement, doesn't let that feeling last. She turns to see a pale outline distinguishable in the dark and a whisp of flame dancing in front of an apricot nose. There is a magnetism to the little flame; her own inky-black nose draws closer, almost close enough to touch the light before it disappears.

Once again, the darkness swallows all. The young mare takes a breath and tries to shake some of the tension out of her neck.

"I'm Sumara," she replies, happy to finally be meeting someone around her age who was already twice as talkative as her dull father. From the sound of her voice and what she can see of her, Sumara guesses that the girl is a spring younger than herself. "I used to be better with the flames before it all went dark." It was humiliating, in a way. Sumara had been able to wield the fire with precision and dexterity when she was a yearling, and then when all the light in the world left her, so did her magic. Right when she needed it most. It was the only thing that had made Levi smile, seeing his girl command the flames he loved so much. But she had left him behind and had no intention of returning to Tephra before she had seen the world, and her new companion is far more exciting than dwelling on old memories.

"Maybe we could practice together and get better... know any cool tricks?"

@[The Monsters] Let's gamble and mess with her fire manipulation and immortality
    @[Sumara] your fire manipulation has mutated into illusionism and immortality into fire mane/tail