• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

All I ever wanted was the world, babe // Ashhal

I tried to sell my soul last night
    Funny, he wouldn't even take a bite

If he had been a nicer man, kinder or gentler perhaps, he might have been moved by the sudden shift in her demeanor. Might have felt a twinge of empathy at her admission. But he is none of those things. He had never been given to pitying the less fortunate, had never been moved by the plights of others, never felt sadness at their haggard faces.

Perhaps it is because he is one of those less fortunate, the haggard face that should be pitied. Or perhaps it is because any ounce of compassion had been beaten from him by careless lifetimes. Either way, when his eyes fall on her features as the anger and madness drains from them, they are as hard and cold as they have ever been.

Where he should feel some compassion for this woman who parallels him in too many uncomfortable ways, instead he frowns, annoyed by this new turn in the conversation. He had never handled emotion well. Not his, and certainly not others. He didn’t want to be the unlucky soul she broke in front of. And he most certainly didn’t want to be a fucking shoulder to cry on.

After a moment of staring at her, eyes darkening as his scowl deepens, he finally clips out “Whatever you’re letting go of right now, I don’t fucking want it.”

@[Sabra]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: All I ever wanted was the world, babe // Ashhal - by Ashhal - 04-27-2021, 09:36 AM