• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  you must learn to join the dance
    We're too similar in this regard, and as long as nothing or no-one shakes us, we will keep up this state of friendliness but never the way it was before. Sometimes I long for when our days were easier, when we met as friends along the border, exchanging similar advice to help one another, without having to touch the issue for real. For the days before the attack, when she didn't have a look of sorrow about her every time she sees scorched earth. I have often been on the verge of telling her that my whole family is scorched in a way, and that I don't think we're any less for it. But I didn't, and I don't, for reasons that still elude myself as well.

I have learned a lot in the time that I didn't say anything to Breckin her, and have carried heavier weights than these that I carry now. Still, it would be best if we could talk it out.

But I've never known where to start.

A few things she starts with, and so I tilt my head. A few, indeed. Perhaps she means to resolve them all; we start a slow walk through the red (now black) forest, and I mumble softly that I hate politics - my standard answer, and she knows it shouldn't interrupt her or prevent her from talking. The monsters in the dark are all too real, and I can only acknowledge that they're there. "Not just here," I tell her. In fact I'm pretty certain that my brother's family is very capable of keeping the darkness in a state that they prefer. Shah, Ether, and whomever their offspring are these days, have always been skilled in using their shadows for the good of the living. Taiga, I tell her, might just be the safest dark place in the world right now.

I know about Borderline, nod to indicate so when she is mentioned. The name Wishbone however, makes me pause - literally - before I continue carefully, asking how she is doing. Tephra is where she is now; I think I remember her stemming from that place indeed. An exchange student. That was in the days of the Brotherhood rising, and the Sisterhood at her strongest. Many memories threaten to surface, good ones that now have a melancholic overlay - I try to push them aside.

But the memories I have seem to resonate with Lilli's, as she has a similar look about her. That day, is all she mentions and I try not to grimace at when I know she means. Overwhelmed - well, we all were. I still think I needed to make good on the threat of my crowning, of my existence. Straia had seemed to understand, Brennen certainly hadn't. Then again, he'd been overwhelmed as well. No more than Lilli, I guess.

She is wrong about one thing. "Everything has to change." Her sad eyes have to change. The monsters that haunt the world have to change. My daughter, lost in the rocks that she commands - that has to change, too. Yanhua already is changing, but the fact is we never spoke about what happened between us. Our friendship has to change. Less cordial, more... real. Or give it up. Either, just not this. "Everyone has to." The latter comes out more or less a mumble, and I frown when I think of it. Improvise, adapt, overcome. If we don't change with the tides, we'll drown.

It is that simple, and it's the hardest thing to do. Speaking of hardest things, though. "Sometimes you make it just as hard for me to be your friend as she once did. You're alike in many more ways than you both know." I shake my head with a wry, but not unwilling smile. Something of amusement is in there, though I don't feel like explaining everything that she was to me, right now. It's not a competition, and I don't want it to become one. I don't have to compare to see they're my type. I take a deep breath, mull it over, and smile more amusedly then. "I know who Rosey reminds me of. Did you ever tell her she has sisters?"
    there’s an ocean in between your heart and me

@[lilliana]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    you must learn to join the dance - by lilliana - 01-28-2021, 11:13 PM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 02-11-2021, 11:12 AM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 02-25-2021, 08:58 AM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 03-02-2021, 06:02 AM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 03-20-2021, 05:08 PM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 04-06-2021, 11:43 AM