• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I could make it better for you
    My eyes roll at the lady's words, and a snap of bitterness rises in my throat. Manners are something my mother only teaches selectively, and they are mostly concerned with not pissing her off. Considering that it's almost impossible to guess what seemingly-innocent phrase or behavior will set her off on a given day, I've taken to just avoiding her whenever possible. 

This lady, though. My half-grown tail whips irritatedly. "Were you born this snobby, or is that what a lifetime of disappointment gets you?" I ask, not looking back from my position on the edge of their meeting. I'm the little nuisance, again. Too young to have a voice in their grown up talks. Too young to matter at all. 

The thought makes my eyes burn unexpectedly, and I hate the lady for making me feel so small. She's like my mother, maybe. Soft, sweet words that you think should be comforting, and only cut you instead. So maybe I am being sullen, out here in the dark. My adventure is turning into more of whati thought I'd be leaving at home, and I'm suddenly homesick for my snug den. I miss my friends and their clattering whispers. 

The dark man is on the edge too, and he's quieter. The bone man won't be my friend, so I've lost interest in him. Let the snooty lady talk his leg off about wolves and hunting. I shiver, and lean subconsciously into the touch he places against my neck. It makes my heart beat a bit harder. I don't get touched very much, and hardly ever so gently. What's the catch, I wonder vaguely. 

His question should set off warning bells in my head. Should, but doesn't. "I'm always alone," I answer instead, a small shrug rolling across my thin shoulders. "It would take a week for my mother to notice I was gone." There's more than a drop of bitterness in my voice at this. It might not be true. It might take her a month, if she's going through another spell where she forgets I exist again. The skeleton man is looking at us, I think. It's kind of hard to tell, though, him being bone and all. 

@[Livinia]

Messages In This Thread
    I could make it better for you - by Tamlin - 01-24-2021, 07:03 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Calavera - 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Livinia - 01-25-2021, 10:45 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Niklas - 01-26-2021, 03:26 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Tamlin - 01-28-2021, 06:05 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Calavera - 01-31-2021, 05:19 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Livinia - 02-03-2021, 01:04 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Niklas - 02-10-2021, 05:44 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Tamlin - 02-13-2021, 04:52 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Calavera - 02-16-2021, 06:59 PM