• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Ain't no secrets in a small town // Any
    I am Calavera. Sugar skull. Sickly sweet and morbid, and my mother is insane. Half the time she doesn't know who I am, and that's when I go off on my own to play. Hours or days later, she will find me, the bones of creatures scattered around me. My only friends. 

I think I am beginning to forget what it was like Before. There was light once, and it came from the sun. Now it is dark, only dark, and the sun is only a white ring in the sky. The skeleton of a celestial being. 

Bones are easy to find in the dark, when they are clean and white with age. My eyes pick out the shape of them, half buried in the mulch as I wander. Do not leave the forest, my mother has warned, and I do not wish to. Whatever I find out there will not be worth the wrath disobedience will bring down on me. So I find my nest in the woods, looking carefully to make sure I wasn't followed. 

The Shadows leave me alone, for the most part. It's the other residents of the forest I'm trying to avoid. 

"Hello there," I croon softly into the dark. A smudge of white has caught my eye, and I nose it delicately from the moss it's half buried in. A smile, angelic on my velveteen face, beams down on my new friend. A skull, mostly intact, and three vertebrae attached. A few slender ribs follow it to the surface, one scapula. The ragged remains of a weasel. 

With utter concentration, I gather my find, and together we go the rest of the way to my den. The others will be so excited to meet this new friend.