• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  this is going to bring me clarity | mazikeen
    Gale learned long ago that not everything delicious that he’d found on Islandres is actually edible. Juniper berries, locoweed, arrowgrass, all wonderful, but not for those who lack that ability to magically repel toxins. He’s done his best - especially since Aeden and Vita added children to the resort - to not eat poisonous things, and so set a good example for the children.

Water lily bulbs are definitely a safe food. He watches Mazikeen devour them, nodding happily before he finishes his own.

When she mentions grass, Gale looks up, smiling at the tone of her voice before he’s even met her eyes. When he does, the earlier sensation returns, as though her bright orange eyes are twin flames warming him even from this distance.

“It’s special grass,” he laughs in reply, “Not that boring green stuff you all have on the mainland.” Ruinam had once insisted that the lavender seagrass and the teal-orange meadow grass tastes exactly like any other grass, but Gale was not convinced. They’re better, even if its in some intangible way, just like the sky here is bluer, the water warmer. Well, had been warmer and bluer, Gale thinks as he turns his head pensively toward the dark sky.

When she says that she would like to come back, the same warmth from earlier infuses him, and he glances back down with a smile just as she looks up at the sky. Gale’s blue eyes trail from her face, down the slope of her neck to where a cut bleeds red against her pale skin. The sight creates within him a new blend of emotions: empathy for her pain, admiration for her skill, gratitude for her efforts to defend his home, and below that all the same nameless electric thrill.

“I hope so,” he replies, without an effort to disguise his own concern. “I would like to show you Islandres in daylight, and perhaps see Hyaline as well.” That he might go there now, as a shifter, occurred to him on their run.

@[Mazikeen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: this is going to bring me clarity | mazikeen - by Gale - 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM