• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves

The light that meets the dark

Such a little filly Cheri was, to be carrying around such a big heart full of emotions. One minute laughing and then the next crying, trembling on the riverbanks asking Anubias for some company and now here she was, leading him off into the dark mystery of the unknown. They were children, how could they have possibly known that a journey like the one Cheri was pulling Anubias into was one that required weeks of travel? In her fine, airy head Cheri only remembered the first trip down this way had taken a long time. So for her, that just meant they’d be walking for a long time back up the river.

It seemed so simple a solution to such an enormous problem.

But those worries would come later. For now she had company and Anubias’s belief in her. Both were equally important for the filly: Cheri could be a little lion if she had the right encouragement, and in the present moment she felt like roaring. Her strides, though lanky, had a bounce to them as the pair took off upstream, and she flicked her wings now and then with excitement.

“Oh it’s huge.” She exaggerated the word, tilting her feathers up and folding them closed like a pair of waving fans. The arc of them was meant to illustrate just how huge Cheri was talking about. Like, huge huge. Big. “We got trees that hold up the sky! Their skin, which Pappa Yan says is ‘bark like a dog’, looks as dark red as Creature’s fur.” Cheri went into detail, clopping pleasantly alongside Anubias.

What she wouldn’t say to the gleaming emerald colt was that legend her father had told her, about the Guardians of their home. That their duty was to watch the ancient trees, protect them, and never let them fall unless the sky should come plummeting down right after. Gramma Lilli, Cheri’s relation who could’ve been the exact same age as momma Borderline (young), had the weight of the entire sky on her flaming red shoulders. She missed her; missed her family. It was going to be wonderful coming home to those evergreen boughs, and soon enough Cheri would be - thanks to Anubias and Creature.

“Are there big trees where you live?” She asked eventually, and then remembered: “Hey, where do you live?”

@[Anubias]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves - by Cheri - 04-13-2021, 03:22 PM