• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves

Anubias had been trying to make her laugh and he’s grateful when he succeeds, feeling a current of pride go through him. It doesn’t matter that it’s a small laugh - it still counts. It had done the trick, after all! And that feeling of pride turns into a shining smile when Cheri says she’s lucky to have him.

He listens intently when she gives a description of her parents. They sound distinctive, at least, which should make finding them a little easier. If they were just black horses then man it would be hard with these shadows. Everyone blended in right now but some were definitely going to be harder to find than others.

She looks away after giving the descriptions, which leaves Anubias to look around - as though Pappa Yan or Momma Amarine might appear out of the shadows any moment. He wouldn’t think anything of her tears if he noticed them - this is the perfect situation to cry in.

He’s got his eyes narrowed on a distant figure trying to figure out if there’s butterfly wings (he is, in fact, looking at a rock), when Cheri turns back to him - breaking his concentration with a brilliant idea. He brightens with her, declaring “That’s smart, Cheri!” before moving up river. His companion exclaims at the injustice of the movement of her bed, and after a few awkward strides manages to dig her claws into his mane so she is not in danger of being tossled off.

“What’s Taiga like?” Anubias asks as they fall in beside each other, hoping talking about her home will help distract Cheri from her sadness a little more. Though he doesn’t think less of her for being sad one bit - he sure does prefer to see her smile!

@[Cheri]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves - by Anubias - 04-08-2021, 06:42 PM