• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves

The light that meets the dark

This was absolutely fascinating.
    Cheri knew she should probably be worried about more obvious things, like how she planned on getting home again, but for the life of her she couldn’t think about a problem like that when something so unusual was happening right before her eyes. This was out of the realm of her knowledge; she’d never contemplated the bond between companions of different species, though she’d briefly heard them mentioned. Something about a previous Taiga king… or whatever, having a companion animal?

Was that this, then? Was this how that worked?

Her mind reeled, sloshing full of ideas and questions Anubias probably couldn’t answer, but Cheri stared and smiled with electric excitement every time the strange creature moved or blinked, which it did consistently after having found a quiet spot on Anubias’ rump. Typical of her, she wanted to croon over it. A fawning remark of “How cute!” Was just forming itself on her tongue when suddenly the colt spoke, apparently reading Cheri’s mind.

“That’s what I was thinking! Companion animal!” She squealed as quietly as she could manage, afraid that her pitch might disturb the little creature. “Oh but it’s so adorable… look at it!” She laughed, forgetting the world and its manifold problems for a moment. The little thing was animated, glaring up at Anubias while he stumbled over a makeshift apology. Cheri, though her mind was full of adoration for the animal who’d nearly made her jump out of her skin seconds before, stifled a laugh.

“Well… that’s a question, isn’t it?” Cheri sighed, finally tearing her eyes away from the small thing so that she could study the friendly colt again. Her mood had altered so drastically that she felt no reason to be afraid anymore; every ounce of terror had fled her limbs. She was easygoing and happy, delighted to be asked such an important thing. “I go for the obvious: my choice would be on the name Creature.” She grinned, shrugging the pale green wings that attached to her shoulders.

Somehow, she knew the idea would fall flat. That’s how it was meant to be anyways. What she knew of companions and their roles was bare: only, she knew that the bond between themselves and their chosen horse was something sacred. If Anubias really wanted to name it, the final say would come from his mouth or the animal’s approval.

@[Anubias]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves - by Cheri - 02-09-2021, 05:12 PM