• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves

The light that meets the dark

Pappa Yan had naturally assumed that Cheri would be reunited with her twin, Reynard, as soon as Ama dropped him off in the playground. Cheri had assumed the same, since her father’s strict instruction had been to wait here until Reynard came. A couple of days at most, he’d said. Just two long days to wait and wander about for her brother to join her. Two days was easy for Cheri to navigate, and she spent the hours thinking of that strange stallion she’d met by the lonesome, moonlight rivershore and wondering when mother would come to bring Reynard and keep her company.

And then, on that final day, the eclipse changed everything.

Beqanna went dark and Cheri looked up at the sky with a strange sense of dread in her usually light heart, scared by the idea of her father and mother trapped somewhere on the mountainside. She had not found Reynard, but how could she in the dark? She had only the weak light shimmering off her white markings to guide her by, and the fear of being alone to keep her moving where the other foals went. How could she have known that they were moving in the opposite direction of where she was supposed to go?

Cheri was scared. Scared and finally alone at the end of the third day. The last foal to keep her company had been relieved by his parent to be taken home, and the adult horse had only given Cheri a very sad but robust sorry as she dragged her colt away and into the dark. For the first few hours after that, Cheri had curled up into a small ball and listened to the noises in the dark with a pounding, fearful heart. All her life she’d known security and protection; how was she meant to deal with the surmounting challenges of this strange new world? A world where she was totally alone?

That was when the other colt had passed her by. In the dark, Cheri was sure she couldn’t have been noticed since she was so tightly tucked away, but she had peeked into the near-black and watched him go so confidently that just before he disappeared again, she unraveled from her hiding spot and carefully trailed behind - terrified of being alone any longer. He made his way far past where she was supposed to stay, down toward the river where she’d met the sky-stallion and saved his life, and there he stopped. Cheri sniffed the air cautiously, marveling at his confidence despite what could be lurking out here, and then took a deep breath and pushed her worries aside.

“Um… hello?” She called hesitantly, carefully picking her way down the bank and closer to the shore where he stood. “Hi.” Cheri smiled in the dark, just barely able to make out the lines of his body from that far away. Her little blanket marking glowed softly, encouraged by her inner hope.

“Can I come stand with you?” She paused, waiting for his answer, afraid to admit how fearful she was of him saying, “no”.

@[Anubias]
    @[The Monsters] Let's see what happens to her Tornado Creation!

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves - by Cheri - 01-09-2021, 10:19 PM