• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  though rapt in the ruin; any

She may smell like her sea-cliff home, but the frowning girl before her smells mostly of Loess - and of blood. Neither of those things put Popinjay off. The burning of Nerine is far enough in the past now that there is no smoke-smell to give the raiders away, there is nothing but memory and she was still in the Pampas on that day. She has only stories to go on, and few to share them.

No matter. The palomino's frown deepens and at the same time, her grin widens. She nods, unaffected by the dry sarcasm, and finds herself rewarded by that sharp-toothed grin.

"That's a good plan," the Rook nods earnestly, looking away from her newest friend for a moment to snap golden leaves from a close-by sapling. She chews them slowly, the bitter taste of greenwood flooding across her tongue. She likes palominos, she decides, looking back, "I also prefer winning."

And she hasn't lost yet. Well, maybe there was that one time. And there was that angry mare, with the strange stallion, and the prolonged sickness after the birth of her twins, but... Well, winning is a matter of perspective, perhaps. Poppy sheds the deadweight - can't fly carrying all that baggage, after all - but she knows how the others love to carry their sorrow close to them like a second skin, or huddled dark and burning in their chests. The Shifter looks like all the rest, world-weary, snarling, the lines of her face grooved with tragedy, making her young face seem older than it is. The lightning bird tips her head to one side.

"Maybe I can help. I like helping."

Lines by AmeAmeridian, coloring by me

@[breach]

Messages In This Thread
    though rapt in the ruin; any - by breach - 12-23-2020, 08:10 PM
    RE: though rapt in the ruin; any - by Popinjay - 12-23-2020, 10:41 PM
    RE: though rapt in the ruin; any - by breach - 12-30-2020, 12:15 PM
    RE: though rapt in the ruin; any - by Popinjay - 01-08-2021, 05:53 PM
    RE: though rapt in the ruin; any - by breach - 01-30-2021, 06:47 PM