• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

I had never really thought about the fact that Nerine and Icicle Isle were technically a part of my home, as well. Lilliana had mentioned it when we first met, though I had been so young and eager to find a family that I had decided to follow her here, to Taiga. Since then, the redwoods had become a home that brought with it a comfort unlike anything I could have imagined. Sure, there was still the issue of Yanhua that occupied my thoughts almost exclusively, now, but since I had returned, Amarine and Lilliana had made me feel like I belonged. It also helped to have the connection to the flora that grew within the northern reaches of the territory, thanks to Memorie and myself. I give him a soft and warm smile in response.

Our homes shape us as much as we shape it. I chew on those words for a moment, thinking of how Taiga has changed me. For the better. I want to say that I haven’t changed Taiga, however, but when I stop to look around, I know that’s not true. Everything around us had been a charred and broken mess shortly before I arrived and even after I had returned here after running away. In a way, I have changed Taiga more than the other residents who called the redwoods home. I smile softly at the thought. “Yes,” I say wistfully, “I guess you are right.”

Before I had arrived in Beqanna, I had no love for much of anything. I loved water, that was true, but it was more of a passing fancy than a deep appreciation. The redwoods had given me what I couldn’t have imagined possible before: passion. In the short time I had been here, I had found myself in a way that I never knew I was even missing. Before, I had meandered through life trying to fit in, often where I didn’t belong. It was like trying to shove a puzzle piece into a completely different puzzle altogether. And even then, if the piece fit, the image was all wrong. I hadn’t known who I was or what I desired, except that I wanted to fit in somewhere. Despite all that had happened, however, my piece fit here beneath the giants, as smoothly and seamlessly as I could have ever imagined.

I find myself lost in these thoughts for a moment, and his question draws me back in. It is the kind of question that leaves me searching for an answer. “Oh…” I breathe, tilting my head slightly to the side with an expression of deep thought on my face. “Well, I never really thought about it,” I admit. For a moment, I stand there trying to think of something I would wish for the forest, though this proves harder than I would have thought. I’ve never been good at being put on the spot with questions like this. Not just that, but the forest had always provided everything I could have ever imagined I would want. So to have a wish for this forest almost seems strange. “I guess I would just wish that everything could always be the same, that this forest could live on far into the future, building a legacy and a weaving together the threads of our stories until the sun dies and the moon refuses to rise.” Little did I know that the sun would die sooner rather than later, but that’s neither here nor there.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[Leilan] we can just continue where we were before. Lol.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any] - by Borderline - 02-27-2021, 06:15 PM