• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

If @[Leilan] asked me to go to Nerine and the Isle to use my gift, I’d have been more than happy to myself. Granted, Memorie would, as well, but perhaps we both could have undertaken such an endeavor together. After all, we would both need excuses to come together once she’s left my side completely to find her own path in life–which was coming way too soon for my liking. Sooner, rather than later, she would be heading off on her own and would only return for brief visits. The thought always makes me sad to think of, so thankfully, my mind is occupied by Leilan’s visit…for now.

At his suggestion that Memorie could visit Nerine and the Isle, though, I give a soft laugh. “She’s such a wanderer that I doubt she needs to be older to have an excuse to meander in that direction.” I smile wistfully. “But speaking of Nerine and the Isle, I would also like to visit. I fear that I’ve become such a homebody that I’ve only left Taiga twice since I’ve come here. Perhaps if I visit sometime, you could show me around?” I give him a playful wink.

His next statement makes me think for a moment. I’m not quite sure I understand what he means by “the feeling gets entirely turned around.” For me, Taiga had always been a home, not just because of the family I had created here or because I was party to her healing process, but also because the giant redwoods brought with them a kind of safety that I hadn’t felt in any other place, like those trees were standing guard over me (and my family). “Sorry, but I’m not sure I understand what you mean,” I say, feeling slightly embarrassed to have to say so.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily the wrong question to ask. I think we choose lands for a lot of reasons. Some of those reasons are the horses that live there alongside of us. For example, I live here because I have fallen in love, not just with Yanhua, but with the family that I’ve been welcomed into. But I also choose to stay, because the redwoods provide a kind of sanctuary that I’ve never felt before in any other place. There are little nooks here and there that provide protection from the elements. There are wonders that awe and inspire me. I never would have been able to build what you see here if I didn’t have this connection to the land, and I would never have this connection with the land without the connection to my family.”

Yes, there are certainly others who could be more active about it, but I wouldn’t say that about myself, because here I was, wandering my way through this small portion of the redwood forest, rebuilding what had been destroyed.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    RE: and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any] - by Borderline - 01-14-2021, 02:01 PM