• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

I can see the recognition in Leilan’s eyes before he says anything, and the careful nod tells me that he’s heard of the situation between Yanhua and myself. It’s not something I really care to be known for, but it is what it is. C’est la vie. So I do my best to hide the discomfort at this and keep my attention focused on him.

He also knows about the “rebuilding” as he calls it. I smile at this. “Yes, I’ve been teaching Memorie, my daughter, how to do it, too. She shares my gift of flora revival. She’s actually better at it than I am, so you’d have to give accolades to her more than me.” I chuckle softly at this. In truth, I’d been here longer and spent more time here than she did, so it’s technically not true, but she had done quite a bit herself. If not for her, though, we definitely wouldn’t have come as far as we had. Many of the trees were now twice as tall as I stand, some were even taller still. Granted, they still had a long way to go before they reached the towering heights of the rest of the redwoods, but still, the land was beginning to look as it should. “Thank you for your kind words,” I remember to add on.

His reasons for being here seem sound. I can definitely appreciate his desire to check in on his children (I certainly felt similar about Memorie, and I’m sure I’ll be checking in with her for the rest of our lives). I believe I’d heard that Roselin and Oren, Lilliana’s twins, were his. I hadn’t had the pleasure of meeting either of them yet, but Lilliana had mentioned Roselin to me. She was the one that had the garden, of which I had forgotten to mention to Memorie, because I know she’d be interested. Granted, the child always seemed to have her ears tipped to any conversation around her, despite what antics she might be getting up to, so there’s a good chance she already knew about her and her garden.

I smile warmly. “Ah, yes, the duties of a leader and a father,” I chuckle.

Then he asks me why I decided to say. Now there was a question I would take pleasure in answering. “Well, in truth, Lilliana is what made me stay.” She was actually the one who had brought me here to begin with. In those early days, Yanhua had kept me to the lands, but when I’d found out about Amarine, well, I’d done the childish thing and disappeared for a time. When I returned, Taiga didn’t feel like home, exactly, but then I’d met Lilliana on the beach in the wee hours of the morning. Reminiscing on this brings a wistful smile to my face. “She made Taiga feel like home more than anything ever has in my life. I felt welcomed and appreciated. Now I stay because it is a part of me.” At this, I glance up at the new growth around me. I had done this (along with Memorie), and that made it feel like this land belonged to me as much as I belonged to it.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[Leilan]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any] - by Borderline - 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM