• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

I don’t have to wait long, but in the few seconds that span between my question and his answer, I relax a little. I was startled at first, but when I had a moment, as short as it might have been, to think about it, I realized that the redwoods are home to so many peaceful creatures, equine or other. There is us. There is a herd of elk. I had encountered them many times before, and they were always welcoming and quick to share their space for grazing. Some even seemed entertained by Memorie’s antics. Sometimes there were deer, though they are more flighty than the elk. It could have been any number of not so scary things. Still, I remain alert until I know it’s completely safe.

So when another horse ambles into view, my tension eases, and I give him a soft smile. My first impression of him is that he is tall–not quite as tall as Yanhua, but still larger in size than the Taigan stallion, because he is thick. Where a normal horse’s legs are real slender, his are stocky. His shoulders are broad, along with the rest of his body. I had never before seen a horse such as him, so it piqued my interest.

He is quick to answer, greeting me kindly. Then he offers his name. Leilan. I had heard of him. He is the leader of Icicle Isle, whose territories includes Taiga. He was also the stallion with whom Yanhua battled with in the first round of the Alliance. I didn’t know much about his and Yanhua’s relationship, but I know enough to know it’s tense between them. Even so, Yan’s tension is not mine, so I give him a bright smile. “Hi, Leilan. I am Borderline.

Perhaps he has heard of me, too? It would seem that the drama over Yanhua’s baby mamas was popular in the gossip circle these days. If he hadn’t heard of that, he could have also heard about Memorie’s and my efforts to regrow the forest. Or he could just know every name of those that live in his territories. There were many reasons he could have heard of me.

I realize that my thoughts are drifting, so I bring them back to the conversation. “I have actually heard your name a few times. It’s a pleasure to finally put a face to the name.” I smile warmly. “So, what brings you around to Taiga?”

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    RE: and the bravest of faces are the ones where we fake it [any] - by Borderline - 12-24-2020, 01:54 AM