• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Deep in the darkness lies my beating heart [Yanhua]

one lives in hope of becoming a memory

His sigh sounds like a song, and I am instantly drawn to it. It makes me feel more calm, like a lullaby that gently pulls me into a restful slumber. I am still a little bit on edge, but I am finding myself less and less so as each second ticks by. After all, I had never been a terribly shy child, as can be seen by my reckless journey into the unknown Taigan woods.

When his little whiskers tickle my nose, I giggle unexpectedly, then sneeze. And when I looked back up at him, his smile and kind words make me feel even more at ease. I admire his fully grown horns. Would mine be like that some day? And his bearded chin, do I have those whiskers, too? I find myself crossing my eyes, looking down my nose as if I would be able to see.

When he begins to move away, I watch after him curiously, wondering if he means for me to follow. When he doesn’t stop, I assume that I should, so I burst into a trot to catch up with him. As I come up on his side, I slow to a quick walk to keep up with his long legs. Well, actually, it’s more like a prance, my legs moving synchronistically together in a dance that I had learned from mother.

At his question, I chew on the words for a moment. I think I know what he means. I mean, I’ve been able to see mother’s emotional memories from the day I was born. I had never mentioned this to her, because I know how hard she tries to be happy for me, and I don’t want to disappoint her. I’m not entirely sure that’s what he means, though, so I wait a moment to see if he would give me a hint, which follows shortly after.

I look up at him. Somehow, I know that he knows of my gift (one of several, though two of those gifts I have yet to discover). “Yes,” I say, hesitantly. “I can see mama’s painful memories.” Saying it out loud gives me a moment’s pause. Those painful memories often consisted of him and a black, jewel crusted mare. Some had been from her past, before Beqanna, but those were mere wisps compared to the memories of @[Yanhua], as though the pain was more salient.

Not only that, but if he knows of my gift, that I can only imagine he shares the same gift. And then I start to worry that these worries would leak into his own thoughts. I look away, hoping this would shield my worries from him. I also try to shift my thoughts away from those painful memories that I’d seen, though that proves harder to do. In the end, I ask him, “What does it mean that I can see others’ painful memories?” A part of me wonders if it’s not just painful memories, though. Could I see other memories as well?

memorie

Photo by Saffu from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Deep in the darkness lies my beating heart [Yanhua] - by Memorie - 12-15-2020, 09:10 PM