• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  don't let your wonder turn into closure

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

I give Nashua a sly grin when he asks if all the things Yanhua had told me were good things. “A few things, maybe.” My sly smiles turns into a playful grin. It wasn’t true, of course. Many of the things Yan had told me about his brother were good things, or silly things that foals get up to, which I don’t really count as being bad. Still, it was fun to jest, and so I did as we moved through the forest together.

As we travel and talk, the scenery changes little. Every once in a while, a fern brushes across the path so that my legs brush against it lightly. Once upon a time, the sensation might have frightened me, but I had wandered these trails for a year, now, so I had long since become familiar with the sensation. While we walk, I keep my attention trained mostly on him, ducking low-hanging branches and navigating the path as if I had known these lands my whole life. What can I say? I’d spent a good portion of that year wandering Taiga, waiting for Yanhua to return from whatever adventures he was off on.

I take note of the interest he takes when I mention that I am from a different land. I smile, mostly to myself, but am surprised when he does not pursue the subject, and instead welcomes me to the North. I laugh, a delicate sound that hangs in the cool air around us. “Well, thank you, but unfortunately, I think Yanhua beat you to that one.” I give his shoulder a little nudge with my shoulder as we continue down the path, just as Yanhua greets us.

It doesn’t take long for Nashua to start in on the brotherly heckling. “Oh, who’s to say I think either of you are handsome?” I grin up at the boys, a twinkle in my eye. My face would have softened into a warm smile, but instead it contorts into something between surprise and bewilderment as Nashua disappears. Yanhua, however, seems relatively unfazed by his brother’s disappearance, and heckles right back while I stand there now looking confused. I quickly wipe the confusion off my face, though, and laugh when Yan says that his brother has revealed his greatest insecurity.

When Yan excuses his brother’s invisibility, I grin playfully. “Fell? Or did you pull his tail?” I bump my shoulder into his shoulder playfully and smile warmly up at him. I certainly had missed this time with him, and I was starting to grow suspect of his constant journeys away from home, but that didn’t show as bantered back and forth. “Oh? Would that be comfortable silence? Because I think he could easily talk our ear off.”

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[Nashua]
    @[Yanhua]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: don't let your wonder turn into closure - by Borderline - 12-02-2020, 09:13 PM