• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Behind a Curtain of Towering Pines | Jackel

I don't feel enough for you to cry
    here's a lullaby to close your eyes

As the shroud of night quietly crept across the sky, so too did the unearthly black stallion creep from his hideaway. The densely packed trees around him hid the haunted stallion from what little remained of the day's light. Though Spring had arrived, the night air around him still had a crisp chill to it, inviting him out from his tree stump.

"We musn't forget." The ghosts whispered to him, and he nodded in agreement, wondering momentarily how he could be so foolish. Quietly, he dipped his head back into the stump to grab the dead badger, a few maggots falling from its mouth as he lifted it from his bed. Kradle turned and brought the decaying mammal with him, trotting away in glee with his partner.

The ghosts that wailed in his ear drums did nothing to distract him from his stroll, somewhat silent as he moved through the foliage so as not to scare away a potential meal. Hungry eyes gazed at the birds sleeping within the tree tops, his mouth watering as he cursed at them in his head for having to be so far out of his reach. At times, it was tempting to just eat the badger, but he dared not feast upon his only friend, especially one so wisened by death.

Kradle slowly walked through the forest, peering around him for any sign of something to eat - it was one of the down sides to hating daylight, unfortunately. Most creatures were hidden away sleeping now, save for a few nocturnal animals that for now remained illusive to him, though he tried his best to search for them.

Setting the badger down on a rock, he stared into its dead eyes, silence hanging between them momentarily.

"I agree," Kradle finally chimed, "there aren't enough things to eat tonight, shall we see what the forest has to offer for decoration? Your bed surely could use more pine needles and berries, correct?"

No sound came from the badger, but Kradle sat there patiently anyways, his ears pricked as if he was listening closely to a conversation.

Kradle

@[Jackel]
    [Image: 9oEc8Yx.png]
    Not much draws me away these days.
    From my home.
    From my Sylva.
    Unfortunately.

Things are rather stagnant, and I’ve grown restless.  And hungry.
    And it gives me good reason to soar beyond the boundaries to haunt common lands.  Maybe find some poor critters to torment and chase.
    Or better yet - torture them with conversation.
    Pickings are slim tonight, but it’s fine.
    I’m content to busy myself by playing with an opossum.  He does this thing where he runs, and then stops and hisses, and then stops moving and pretends to ignore me.  Until I swat at him enough with outstretched paws - particularly that wormy tail of his - and then he makes off again and I pretend that he’s faster than me.

Clearly, we both know that’s not the case, and I’m just a fantastic sport.
    And the cycle goes on and on.
    And on and on and on.
    Until I swat him just a little too hard.
    And our game is over.
    Forever.

Anyway, as I pranced and paraded with my trophy in tow back towards Sylva and my favorite perch, a little tiny conversation makes me veer in its direction.  I’m not exactly quiet per se, when I bust through the scrubby shrubs and branches, then drop the opossum with a grotesque thud.  The twist of my feline ears signals interest, and of course I just couldn’t help myself, “Your friend seems nice,” I say helpfully.  

It’s true, I think, staring into the eyes of the patchy badger.  It was awfully nice of his friend to help him decorate.

@[Kradle]