• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the vows of ruin - jassal
    Some time had passed since he’d crossed paths with anyone.

He’d resolved to believe that that was a good thing, maybe even the best thing possible.  It had given him the opportunity to settle into what he was, without the influence of his sister or other scattered acquaintances.  Not that Nerve hadn’t enjoyed the time spent with Mazikeen and Spirit, or the early years spent with his sister - he’d grown then too somewhat, he thinks.  But these past few years have been different in their solitude, and he’d used his time to explore his abilities - learning to seamlessly change and meld from one whim to the next and discovering even stranger things not seen on a typical day.

The ripples on the pond are hypnotic, and he’s nearly drawn to sleep as he watches them fan and grow.  Not in the mood for sleep however, he wades into the chilly, practically opaque, green waters, content for a moment to let the cold rouse him from his near-plunge into the dream world. But his contentment is short-lived, and suddenly bored of being chin deep in the stagnant pond, he finds the pulling desire to glide, and his body answers with a transformation into a large, white swan.

His thoughts began to mirror the lazy strokes he swam across the reflective surface, moving back and forth and back and forth between Quietude, their mother, and his friends.  Nerve wondered what they’ve been up - who they’ve met, what they’ve seen, what they’ve felt.  Had they improved their abilities like he had?

Tucking his beak neatly behind a wing, he sighed, unable to get away from the one question he didn’t want to consider, but unable to stop it from coalescing all the same - did they miss him like he missed them?

@[Jassal]
    echis
    “ I will love you until we run out of mornings. Then I will love you in the dark. ”

The heat of summer is something she prefers to avoid. She wanders from Hyaline once more, as she so often does. Her meandering journey brings her to the meadow where the sun reflects off the gems beneath her eyes. Echis frowns briefly before turning until her back is turned on the burning star. Still, its warmth washes over her back, and she lifts her gaze to the pond just ahead. Perhaps a swim will ease the agitation building in her muscles.

She lifts her knees high to step over the tall grasses, giving little huffs of effort along the way. Oh, to be fully grown and better suited for this kind of environment. Echis reminds herself to be thankful that she at least has skin to keep the air itself from feeling like razors across her entire body. These tasks used to be even more of a feat for her just months ago. A faint frown crosses over her lips as she dwells on the thought a while longer.

And then, a misstep into the wet mud around the pond sends her plunging into the waters far faster than she’d like. She tumbles with a splash and lifts her head above the waters surface with a gasp for air. Her snow white forelock sticks to her face until she gives her head a good shake, clearing the hair from her vision so she can blink her morganite eyes to see the swan floating gracefully nearby.

Oh no, I’m sorry if I splashed you. I got all caught up in my thoughts again,” she explains, finding it rather easy to speak to a swan rather than her own kind. “Ever since my soul broke or whatever, I kind of zone out I guess.

She pauses long enough to sigh and pity herself for a moment. But this swan probably doesn’t care. It was enjoying a nice swim before a loud snake girl came ruining the nice day, she assumes. Echis dips her head into the water so the heart-shaped snip of her nose remains above the surface with her glimmering jewel eyes. Maybe she should just float and relax too.

@[Nerve]