• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  She waits from ledges for a voice to talk her down

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

My heart aches for the stallion missing his brother. I had always wished for a sister or.a brother. Perhaps I’d had one, but they left before I was born. I suppose, too, that my mother could have had another child after I was gone as well, but I would probably never know, because it’s not a place I wished to return to. Ever. Either way, I always imagined that I had a sister. A twin sister, preferably. I liked to create stories in my head with her, and sometimes I genuinely felt as though she were real. So I could imagine how he felt to not have his brother near. “Do you visit him often?” I ask in the most sympathetic voice I can manage.

The glow around Yanhua intensifies, and I side-step slightly, startled by its intensity. “Oh! How delightful!” I exclaim, rather excited by this new development. “Your glow is positively divine.” After having side-stepped away from him, I was further away than I wanted to be, so I step in closer once more, my side barely brushing against his. There is no warmth to the glow, which I found slightly disappointing. How would I stay warm in the winter? Granted, I’m sure that he would happily keep me warm in other ways–at least, I found myself hoping he would. I give him a big, bright smile.

The next little discussion left her feeling a bit sad, however, and the smile fades. He reassures me, though, and I give him a half-hearted smile. It would have made my heart happy to know that he thought me brave for even discussing my past with him. Truth be told, I had come to terms with my past. My past is what had made me into the horse I am today, and I wouldn’t change that. I was happy, more or less, minus the moments of feeling lonely, but he changed that. Yanhua filled up that hole where the loneliness had been. Not only that, but my past had brought me here. “I have no regrets, honestly. My past brought me here, to these wonderful lands…” There was a very brief pause, then I add, “Brought me here to you.”

I laugh when he says that my mother is the one who is mistaken. It feels good to hear that, especially since others in my herd had made it abundantly clear that I was the black sheep of the “family”. But now I could build a new family. When he reaches over and bumps his nose into my cheek, I gently press my face against his, a silent “thank you.” I notice that he smells of forest and earth, such a pleasant smell that makes me feel at home. “It was pretty awful. I wasn’t well liked by most of my herd. It’s refreshing to be here where at least one horse likes me, and another has invited me to live in her home.”

I have to watch my hooves as we navigate a natural stairway along the path, much to my chagrin. I would much rather be watching Yanhua’s pleasant face. As we walk, though, he continues to talk, his voice smooth like silk and soft as velvet in my ears. I like the sound of his voice. It makes me feel not alone. “I am glad you think so. I think you are positively divine.”

When he asks if I plan to make this my permanent home, I don’t even have to stop and think about it. “Yes, absolutely!” I blurt out. If I could blush, I might have right then and there, embarrassed by my sudden outburst. Still, I do not regret having said it, because I absolutely loved this place already. “That is, if you’ll have me… I adore these lands. They are more beautiful than Lilliana described them to be, and I feel like I am at home here. So if the horses here will have me, I would absolutely love to call this place my home.”

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[Yanhua]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: She waits from ledges for a voice to talk her down - by Borderline - 10-02-2020, 11:53 AM