• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  She waits from ledges for a voice to talk her down

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

Nervous. That is what I am right now, entering a foreign land, a new home. Why am I nervous? Well, to make a long story short, I didn’t have the best start growing up. I had made a lot of mistakes–mistakes with great costs. But that was the past. This is supposed to be my new beginning! And I would definitely try to make it a good beginning, with less mistakes. At least I hoped. Those nerves were still there, though, haunting me as a whisper in my thoughts. What will you do to screw up this time, Borderline?

I shake my head, tendrils of blue mane gentle caress my neck and face as I do so. Gingerly, I step into the land of the giant, towering trees, awe plainly struck across my face. My mouth even gapes in a foolish sort of way. When Lilliana had described them, I thought I had understood how large the trees would be, but this was something different. As I amble slowly through them, I pass by at least one tree that is twice my length in diameter.

A serene fog lay over the landscape, making it difficult to see more than a hundred yards ahead of myself. So every step seems to bring something new into view. I stop and stare for a few moments when an elk appears in the midst of the understory, busy rooting through the snow for vestiges of grass. It looks up at me for a moment, staring as a prey animal is want to do, then returns to its grazing, having determined that I wasn’t a threat. I move on as well, deeper into the fog.

I could probably explore this land for a hundred years and still find something unfamiliar, something wild and untamed, about it. So after a while, I grow bored with exploring and stop in a small meadow. My stomach growls angrily at me, so I lower my nose to the ground and sift through a layer of snow to find if there is anything to eat. Thankfully, there is stale grass there. It is not the most appetizing, but nothing in winter usually is. 

I would wait here, I decided, for something to happen. Perhaps someone from these lands would find me here and I could make a new friend? Or perhaps I would be forever alone in this confusing new world? The second thought was definitely more likely, I decide. After all, that is my luck.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    She waits from ledges for a voice to talk her down - by Borderline - 09-17-2020, 04:43 PM